Technical Regulations for 2009-2015

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Conceptual
Conceptual

Re: Technical Regulations for 2009-2015

As long as they go fast, and the teams are even closer than they are now (WOW), I am a very happy man.

I sincerely hope that the regulations that are adopted allow for in-season development that is restricted based upon philosophy instead of a dollar value.

Regardless of what is done however, I don't wish to see anything in particular banned or introduced.

I just want to see honest and honorable competition at the highest level.

After all, isn't that what F1 has always been about? Determining who is the best in the world?

Chris

Scotracer
Scotracer

Okay guys, this isn't about future regulations but it's REALLY bugging me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6Qyii5XgfU

I just made that. I cannot explain how there is such a big jump in one year. The 2003 cars are roughly the same pace as todays cars but the 2004 cars are just in a league of their own. The only regulation change I know of the cut down in the number of elements in the rear wing. 3 seconds in 1 year? Wow...

:?
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

bazanaius
bazanaius

Not sure, but by the looks of it the track length was different. That last sector just isn't long enough to make up 1.2 secs in speed alone.

B

timbo
timbo

Scotracer wrote:I just made that. I cannot explain how there is such a big jump in one year. The 2003 cars are roughly the same pace as todays cars but the 2004 cars are just in a league of their own. The only regulation change I know of the cut down in the number of elements in the rear wing. 3 seconds in 1 year? Wow...
Tyre war...

Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

does somebody has the 2004 and 2003 technical regulations?

The 2004 were on FIA site until recently but have gone.

Scotracer
Scotracer

bazanaius wrote:Not sure, but by the looks of it the track length was different. That last sector just isn't long enough to make up 1.2 secs in speed alone.

B
According to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverston ... rcuit_maps

The track hasn't changed since 2000
timbo wrote: Tyre war...
But 3 seconds? That's crazy...

Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

About 2009 pace, a quote from Sebastian Vettel that sums up:
“I spent the whole time on the 2009 spec slick tyres and the biggest difference you notice is in the slow corners, where you feel more mechanical grip,” he commented.
“However, the low downforce configuration in line with next year’s rules means you have a lack of aero which you feel on the high speed sections, but it is balanced out by more grip from the tyres."
Basically= more grip at low speed, same grip at high speed.

Seems to confirm why slicks+2009 levels of downforce car post faster times than 2008 ones since the last test at barcelona.

Scotracer
Scotracer

So, we can probably work out where the cars will be faster next year, more than others.

On tracks like Monza, the difference will be huge as the cars wont need any wing at all to give mechanical grip in the chicanes and that will only compound the reduced drag.

On Monaco, the grip will be higher as well. I wonder if there'll be anywhere where they are the same pace as this year.

Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

Next year, overall drag will be lower too, but however we do not know that much about aerodynamic stability (its evolutions depending on yaw,pitch and roll).

However I see only one thing maybe slowing them down: KERS.

It would really nixes up the balance of the car, and one the benefit of aerodynamic downforce is that is makes it a bit easier to have a stable tyre balance, while next year with more mechanical grip, any load/weight transfert will have greater consequences.

We'll see, but in anyway more and more people among teams are keen to think next year cars won't be slower at all.

Mario thiessen was the last to express this recently in motorsport-total.com

Scotracer
Scotracer

Yes, it does look like next years cars will be faster. Is it just me or do the Jerez 2009 spec cars have more wing than the ones that ran earlier in the year?

Jerez-spec

Barcelona-spec

Or am I seeing things? Have the teams come to the conclusion that they will have more downforce than originally expected next year? Or have the teams just found a better way to implement 2009-spec aero on a 2008 car?

Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

I read on autosport forums that they tested a shorter rear wing but it doesn't seem so..

Well it may be that they wanted to test the drag of the rear wing, or simply as you say they revised the loss of downforce as it is sure everybody will have less than 50% cut.

I don't know indeed.

Slicks tyres just make the car look so good..

Scotracer
Scotracer

Oh yeah, they look awesome...I'm just worried about how they will look next year. I'm not too worried about the front wing as it'll be really low and look streamlined but the rear-wing will be such a large appendage sticking out the back (both high and deep yet really skinny) that'll it'll ruin the aesthetic balance of the cars.

Metar

Am I the only one who liked the grooved tyres? They were something unique to the series - no other open-wheelers shared this - and I thought the straight-cut lines in the wheels complimented the overall "busy" look of the cars rather well..

D'Leh
D'Leh

Metar wrote:Am I the only one who liked the grooved tyres? They were something unique to the series - no other open-wheelers shared this - and I thought the straight-cut lines in the wheels complimented the overall "busy" look of the cars rather well..
No you're not alone. I too liked the grooved tyres on some cars. They somehow suited the McLaren during 2003/2004 seasons especially.

Also there was a discussion about aesthetic appeal of the car design. I wanted to add to that that it's like a slap into someone's face if you say "this or that is totally ugly and all my friends think so too". While it might be true for you it doesn't automatically mean, that everyone agrees. It gets beautiful when it meets the eye. Not because someone says. I for one love todays designs because they are an homage to engineering. They are so incredibly sophisticated, complex and effective. Imagine you had shown those cars to F1 staff only 10 years ago. They'd been thinking like "wtf is this?!".

About 2009 again, you've been discussing expected speed improvements. Especially Monza will be faster for sure. I'm curious to know how "much" wing they'll actually use there. With slicks the cars will accelerate quite good. With reduced drag they'll be a lot faster than 2007/2008 on the straights i believe.
Same problem will occur in Canada.
Anyone wanna take bets if there's gonna be calls for safety measures because of speeds? Or any bets about top speeds already? ;)

Scotracer
Scotracer

I think 2004 lap times at Monza are possible. Montreal wont be too far off 2004, I reckon.

On to aesthetics: Yes current cars have an engineering beauty to them but look how much of it is imposed rather than driven by innovation. Next year will be even worse with standard front wing parts and a ridiculous rear-wing.

Oh well, I'm sure I'll grow to like them and hate the next iteration :roll: