Technical Regulations for 2009-2015

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
strad

Re: Technical Regulations for 2009-2015

W/B said
I have explained it often enough that measuring downforce is quite easy
You can stamp your feet and say it all you want. It doesn't make it true.
Sorry I can't think of a less offensive term..it's stupid.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

WhiteBlue

strad wrote:W/B said
I have explained it often enough that measuring downforce is quite easy
You can stamp your feet and say it all you want. It doesn't make it true.
Sorry I can't think of a less offensive term..it's stupid.
Lol, as stupid as Isaac Newton. :lol: Did you sleep in all your science courses?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_(physics) A quick look at the basics of motion physics may help you to catch up with your deficits.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

autogyro wrote: I still only see it as a sop to high DF though, sorry.
There is no problem overtaking in lower or zero DF formula.
Then go and watch low / zero DF racing!

Stop asking for all racing to be low/zero DF just because YOU don't like it! [-X
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Richard
Richard

Just_a_fan wrote:

Stop asking for all racing to be low/zero DF just because YOU don't like it! [-X
#-o Stop reducing discussion to black and white!

This is about re-balancing the dominance of aero.

Balance.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

richard_leeds wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

#-o Stop reducing discussion to black and white!

This is about re-balancing the dominance of aero.

Balance.
F1 is a high downforce formula. There are other formula that don't major on downforce. This is a balance.

If you want balance then you need high and low downforce formulae; having lots of low/medium downforce fourmulae is not balance either, is it?

It's funny, but some of us actually find the aero stuff interesting. Just because some people don't, shouldn't mean that all formulae should have downforce reduced to "balance the dominance of aero". There are low / medium downforce formulae for those who don't like aero. For those who do like aero there is only really F1.

autogyro
autogyro

F1 is NOT a high DF formula. F1 was for many many years without ANY DF and the racing was awesome, unlike today but then those who think diferently obviously have never experienced proper F1, just the modern dilute version that simply pandas to the aero nerds.

autogyro
autogyro

You are also mixing things up.
If DF was reduced in F1 to sensible levels and proper regulations encouraged efficiency with fuel, aero would be just as important because of the need to make the cars more aero efficient, in fact today the excess of power makes the aero work relatively easy and basic by comparison.

Richard
Richard

It would be interesting to see a graph of downforce v engine bhp over the last 15 years.

IMHO Engine power has been reigned back, while aero has gone ballistic. They're out of balance. Hence the lack of racing.

WhiteBlue

For this you must ask Ogami Musashi. He knows everything about F1 aero (except how to make the cars pass).
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

strad

It would be interesting to see a graph of downforce v engine bhp over the last 15 years.
Please
Don't give him a W/B an excuse to make more graphs, charts and silly statistics,
For the cat that thinks it's always been about high tech should try remembering when Can-Am cars had more power, more speed and more tech.

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines.
Enzo Ferrari
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

wesley123
wesley123

strad wrote:
Please
Don't give him a W/B an excuse to make more graphs, charts and silly statistics,
For the cat that thinks it's always been about high tech should try remembering when Can-Am cars had more power, more speed and more tech.

Enzo Ferrari
or it is for the people who arent allowed to build better engines, like every f1 team.

Aero has always been an huge factor in formula 1. Stating that these high downforce levels causes the less overtaking is rubbish, remember the ground effect cars? I believe those had more downforce, and there was alot of overtaking, so it is an rubbish excuse.

The problem with overtaking is the rules for racing on track and the drivers who dont dare to overtake, i mean, if you hit someone accidently you get penalized, the chance of such things is pretty large, so they rahter have less points then the chance of getting an penalty because they race.

Same example counts for Hamilton vs Petrov last race, i mean they were just racing so what's up with the line change once rule. It is the most stupid rule i have ever heard of and it takes away alot of racing. I dont care about overtaking, i want to see the people fight on track, and those rules arent helping it very much
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

autogyro
autogyro

wesley123 wrote:
strad wrote:
Please

Enzo Ferrari
or it is for the people who arent allowed to build better engines, like every f1 team.

Aero has always been an huge factor in formula 1. Stating that these high downforce levels causes the less overtaking is rubbish, remember the ground effect cars? I believe those had more downforce, and there was alot of overtaking, so it is an rubbish excuse.

The problem with overtaking is the rules for racing on track and the drivers who dont dare to overtake, i mean, if you hit someone accidently you get penalized, the chance of such things is pretty large, so they rahter have less points then the chance of getting an penalty because they race.

Same example counts for Hamilton vs Petrov last race, i mean they were just racing so what's up with the line change once rule. It is the most stupid rule i have ever heard of and it takes away alot of racing. I dont care about overtaking, i want to see the people fight on track, and those rules arent helping it very much
Rubbish

You said it about DF levels and so can I, your comments on drivers and DF not effecting overtaking are simply rubbish, there I said it again.

strad

Aero has always been an huge factor in formula 1.
Are you crazy? When do you think F1 started? 1980?
Sir Stirling Moss

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

autogyro wrote:F1 is NOT a high DF formula. F1 was for many many years without ANY DF and the racing was awesome, unlike today but then those who think diferently obviously have never experienced proper F1, just the modern dilute version that simply pandas to the aero nerds.
F1 IS a high DF formula. It may not always have been so but it is currently IS.

And what the hell have bears got to do with it? :wink:

wesley123
wesley123

strad wrote:
Aero has always been an huge factor in formula 1.
Are you crazy? When do you think F1 started? 1980?
Guess why the cars are shaped that way? damn right, earodynamics. Remember the mercedes W154(what was it), also aerodynamics.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender