Petrol/Diesel equivalency & the future of Endurance

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
WhiteBlue

Re: Petrol/Diesel equivalency & the future of Endurance

This R15 looks mean! I guess they will take those covers between the nose and the Wheel arches off for the race trim.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

why would they do that.....that is the race trim....

modbaraban
modbaraban

WhiteBlue wrote:This R15 looks mean! I guess they will take those covers between the nose and the Wheel arches off for the race trim.
Covers? :?

ImageImage

It does look way cooler than the boxy R10. I still prefer the GroupC-looking lola aston 8)

PS: I saw a recent McNish interview by MotorsTV. He sounded suspiciously smug :-s

vyselegend

modbaraban wrote:Sometimes it seemed that the cameraman struggled to turn to the left even following the cars slowly cruising into the pits. That was kind of irritating. Anyways thanks for the video.

At 6:20 there's a Saleen S7-R. Is it someone from FIA GT or FFSA-GT or is it back to LMS/24DuMans? :shock:
LOL. Actualy, the trip to the HTTT was a family affair, as I managed to convince my mother and my 70 years old step father to come along myself. :) I could then easily use them to justify the camera struggle, since I've only done the later footage (near the pit exit), and I managed to follow the cars down the straight, while my parents kindly made the main part of the film since I was focusing on taking pics. But to be fair to them, I must admit I was the one shaking the most, firstly because I'm a poor cameraman, and secondly because my mother was hilarious, calling every car a "Ferrari". So it was like, "Oh, look that Ferrari, it's beautiful", and while I turned my eyes I discovered a random car, which sometimes only happened to be a Ferrari... :lol:

And yes, there were two Saleen (only one running though), car #51 ARC Bratislava-Kaneko's S7R. I think they are full time entrants for the LMS.

Thank you Ciro for your support!

Whiteblue, I think the "covers" you're talking about are the main parts of the "upper diffuser" trick of that car. It's not very clear to me if the air channeled through that part (between the wheels and the nose) is really used to produce downforce or if it has more utility in feeding the radiators. But one thing for sure, the car is meant to keep that look. RacingManiac posted a link showing the definitive version of the car, with full livery in the Le Mans thread. Have a look at it.

modbaraban
modbaraban

vyselegend wrote:LOL. Actualy, the trip to the HTTT was a family affair, as I managed to convince my mother and my 70 years old step father to come along myself. :) I could then easily use them to justify the camera struggle, since I've only done the later footage (near the pit exit), and I managed to follow the cars down the straight, while my parents kindly made the main part of the film since I was focusing on taking pics. But to be fair to them, I must admit I was the one shaking the most, firstly because I'm a poor cameraman, and secondly because my mother was hilarious, calling every car a "Ferrari". So it was like, "Oh, look that Ferrari, it's beautiful", and while I turned my eyes I discovered a random car, which sometimes only happened to be a Ferrari... :lol:
Lucky you :) Looks like you've had a good time. Thanks for the video again. The only one I managed to find apart from yours is only 7 seconds long.

PS: I subscribed just in case.

modbaraban
modbaraban

ACO announces LMP1 and LMP2 regulation changes
planetlemans.com, April 21, 2009

Analysis of the performances of the diesel-engined and petrol-engined prototypes after the Sebring and Barcelona races showed that the diesel-engined cars still enjoyed an advantage. In order to guarantee the equivalence between the different engines, the ACO, in keeping with its undertakings, has decided to impose the following adjustments on diesel-engined prototypes from the Spa-Francorchamps race onwards:

- Reduction of the orifice of the fuel flow limiter of the autonomous fuel tank (the current diameter of 38mm for diesels will now be the same as that for petrol-engined cars: 33mm).
- An additional 30 kilos will be added made up of one or more pieces of ballast sealed by the scrutineers. Once the ballast has been removed the car must not weigh less than 900 kilos.

Clarification: The technical regulations governing the LM P1 and LM P2 prototypes oblige manufacturers to homologate the car or the modifications of the characteristics mentioned on the homologation sheet before an event.

For the Spa-Francorchamps race on 8th May, the delay between:
- the homologation of a new car and the start of the event (preliminary scrutineering) must be 30 days minimum.
- the homologation of modifications of characteristics mentioned on the homologation sheet and the start of the event (preliminary scrutineering) must be 15 days minimum.

(Automobile Club de l’Ouest)

vyselegend

Most people believe diesels will still be superior by a solid margin, especially at LM where the weight penalty isn't that much harmfull, compared to traditional circuits.

As you could bet, Peugeot & Audi are pissed , especially Peugeot, whose car is already overweight.

I think it is going in the right direction though, and I feel more and more exited about the prospect of pertol powered contender joining the real fight. Sure the Lola Astons come to mind, but don't forget also the new Pescarolos, Orecas, team Sebah etc... There are a bunch of credible opponents for the podium. But realistically, those teams will have their chance only if the Pug vs Audi battle makes some casualities.

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

I still think this is a unnecessary adjustment introduced to artificially balance the grid. As soon as someone like Porsche comes in and make a petrol cars that is faster than the the diesel they rule will go back to where it was, or slow the petrol cars down. The level of development from the works team to the private teams is so huge that the whole diesel vs petrol picture is diluted. The weight thing isn't going to be as big as the fuel flow. I think thats simple physics, and that will end up adding a ton of time to the diesel pitstop...

I like how ACO took Barcelona race into account when the private R10 clearly are not doing as well as the factory cars would have....