Chinese GP 2008

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
WhiteBlue

Re: 2008 Chinese Grand Prix

myurr wrote:Any word on the stewards investigating Heidfeld? When I saw the replay I was shocked that he compromised DC so badly. I'd be interested in the other side of the story and whether or not the stewards are going to punish him.
utter rubbish: Nick and DC were both on an out lap. the only difference was that Nick was putting in a safety lap where DC was fighting to get into the top ten. that has never been a rule! all drivers can race for position when they are on the same lap. his whining got the stewards to dish out another unnecessary distorting penalty. disgusting!
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

myurr
myurr

WhiteBlue wrote:
myurr wrote:Any word on the stewards investigating Heidfeld? When I saw the replay I was shocked that he compromised DC so badly. I'd be interested in the other side of the story and whether or not the stewards are going to punish him.
utter rubbish: Nick and DC were both on an out lap. the only difference was that Nick was putting in a safety lap where DC was fighting to get into the top ten. that has never been a rule! all drivers can race for position when they are on the same lap. his whining got the stewards to dish out another unnecessary distorting penalty. disgusting!
Fair enough if it's not in breach of any rules - although DC could argue he held him up, as he was glued to his tail throughout the entire lap looking at it.

But it's disgusting behavior from Heidfeld (if the video clips tell the whole story). He cuts DC up on the run into the last corner of the outlap, compromising the start of his lap. Then even though he aborts his lap he makes no effort to get out of DC's way - as soon as he knew he was going to abort he should have pulled over and let DC through.

Whilst I know you're not happy with the stewards consistency either, what do you think their verdict would have been had this been Lewis compromising Massas run in this manner?

myurr
myurr

Seems the stewards agree with me ;)

Still want to know where this three place grid penalty came from though... Not saying it isn't fair, but I don't remember it being applied until fairly recently with 5 place or deletion of times being the previous norm.

Tom Castellani

Rodzilla wrote:
Tom Castellani wrote:1) IF Hamilton finishes first AND Massa finishes no higher than fifth
2) IF Hamilton finishes second AND Massa finishes no higher than seventh AND Kubica does not win
3) IF Hamilton finishes third AND Massa fails to score points AND Kubica does not finish first or second.
those are correct except for kubica's situation

2) if hamilton finishes 2nd, kubica is out even if he wins

3) if lewis finishes 3rd, kubica only can win to be alive in the championship
I think you might be right. If Hamilton finished 2nd and gained 8 points and Kubica won with 10 points they would go to Brazil, Hamilton: 92 Kubica: 82. Kubica would then have to win with Hamilton out of the points to equal and then it would be judged on race wins I believe.

If I'm thinking straight, way to go Autosport. :P
The road to success is 20,832 meters long...

donskar
donskar

First fool to predict the winner?

1 - Hamilton
2 - Alonso
3 - Kubica

Neither Ferrari to finish. (Stepney will be rumored to have been seen near the Ferrari garage.)

To the Ferrari-haters/conspiracy theorists out there: will you PLEASE shut up when Hamilton wins the WDC?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

myurr
myurr

donskar wrote:To the Ferrari-haters/conspiracy theorists out there: will you PLEASE shut up when Hamilton wins the WDC?
Only if we can jump up and down and shout at you if Massa wins by less than seven points. :P

The FOZ
The FOZ

Tom Castellani wrote: I think you might be right. If Hamilton finished 2nd and gained 8 points and Kubica won with 10 points they would go to Brazil, Hamilton: 92 Kubica: 82. Kubica would then have to win with Hamilton out of the points to equal and then it would be judged on race wins I believe.
In this scenario, Lewis would win between the two before they even arrived at Brazil, however, should Massa come in 3rd in China, and 2nd in Brazil with Robert winning the two races, then Massa would win with 93 points.

Anyhow, for Massa:

1) Two wins, with Lewis doing no better than 2nd in one race and 3rd in another. Robert would not factor in here.

2) One win and one no points result, with Lewis scoring no points in one race and finishing 5th or worse in another, and Robert doing worse than second place in the race Massa wins.

3) Two third place finishes, with Lewis coming in no better than 3rd in one race and out of the points in another, or Lewis coming in no better than 4th and 8th in another, or Lewis coming in no better than 5th in one race and 7th in another, or no better than 6th in two races, AND for all of these, Robert not winning both races.

4) A second and a third, with Lewis scoring worse than a second, or a third and seventh, a fourth and sixth, etc. Robert would not have a chance in this scenario.

5) Two seconds, with Lewis doing no better than one win and a no score, second and seventh, third and fifth, or two fourths.

Anyhow, Lewis is in a very good position right now, but can very easily lose it, if Massa puts in good results. But should Lewis score a first and a third or two seconds, he's got it locked up. Anything less than that and it's wide open.

Also, I think Robert will officially be eliminated at this race. He came on strong early in the season, but started to slow halfway through. He's been able to stay this competitive only because he was finishing in the points while Lewis and Massa were out of the points. He needs to seriously step it up, and I didn't see that in qualifying today.

So here's my prediction:

Kovalainen win
Kimi second
'Nando third
Massa 4th
Kubica 5th
Hamilton 6th
Last edited by The FOZ on 18 Oct 2008, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.

Gaara
Gaara

The FOZ
The FOZ

Interesting vid. Lewis is all over the shop, but that's a byproduct of running the line as deep as he does. His technique is much riskier than the others, and it's what make him so fast, but it also is why he's so inconsistent.

PlatinumZealot

Lewis' Steering looks smoother to me.. I think for the Ferrari it's more car than driver..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ISLAMATRON

those chose the wrong laps to compare to discern any driver differences. Also the Ferrari has more understeer than the McLaren, seems like groovy Lou likes a loose car.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Both Ferarris arnt the same, Massa is running the Shark Fin and Kimi isnt.

This is intresting i think, as the Skark Fin suits Felipes style and Kimis style dosnt suit the Shark Fin.

timbo
timbo

ESPImperium wrote:Both Ferarris arnt the same, Massa is running the Shark Fin and Kimi isnt.

This is intresting i think, as the Skark Fin suits Felipes style and Kimis style dosnt suit the Shark Fin.
Hey! Haven't noticed that =D>
this is indeed interesting. Seems like contrary to what was written @ formula1.com Massa likes more stable rear - so shark fin, helping rear wing airflow is better for him.

megz

Sooooo How many times this year as Heikki started from 5th, it feels like alot from memory!

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

timbo wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:Both Ferarris arnt the same, Massa is running the Shark Fin and Kimi isnt.

Hey! Haven't noticed that =D>
this is indeed interesting. Seems like contrary to what was written @ formula1.com Massa likes more stable rear - so shark fin, helping rear wing airflow is better for him.
Thats what Martin Brundle was saying at Fuji, Massa likes alot of input into the front end, Kimmi likes a more lively rear end setup. Massa dosnt like the new rear suspension set up much, as his more aggressive style warms the rears up to optimim temprature quicker. But Kimis style lends well to the new softer rear end Ferarri have as it makes him warm his tyres to optimim quicker and more evenly. Hence his new quali pace over Massa. But some of those statements are contradictory, but make sence to me some how.