Chinese GP 2008

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MattF1
MattF1

Re: 2008 Chinese Grand Prix

The FOZ wrote:Looks like there's fewer scenarios for WDC in Brazil now:

Lewis: 5th or better for WDC
Massa: Win with Lewis 6th or worse.

Lewis had a solid race, well done on his part.

Question:

Lewis and Felipe both have 5 wins now. If Massa comes in second and Hamilton 8th, they would each have 95 points. How will they determine winner then?
Most second places, - if equal, most third places - etc.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

It was a good old fashioned boring GP.

I think the highlight of the race was Hekki and the puncture.

But come Brazil, there will be sparks and tears. Thats my prediction. Dont know who for yet tho.

Henne

Yeah, quite a boring race but well done Hamilton and Ferrari... Both had a constant pace.

I hope Brazil will be a real battle...

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Norbert Haug
air consumption in his engine was too high
According to Haug that is the reason why Kovalainen retired from the race. Can someone please explain what that means and how it is a problem? Thanks in advance.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Tom Castellani

mx_tifosi wrote:Norbert Haug
According to Haug that is the reason why Kovalainen retired from the race. Can someone please explain what that means and how it is a problem? Thanks in advance.
I'm no expert but I'll have a stab anyway. That means the engine would have been running lean (as opposed to rich) and more air than fuel would be getting to the engine. This can cause all sorts of problems for an average engine; worse performance, over heating through to seizing entirely. For a highly strung F1 I can only imagine what the implications might be.

Wait, back to basics... You know that engines run on a mixture of fuel and air right? Well like I said, an imbalance either way can cause various problems in any type of engine.

Hope that helps to some degree!
*Waits for someone to come and explain in far more informed detail*
The road to success is 20,832 meters long...

timbo
timbo

I think that Heikki's "retire" was a strategic move. After puncture ruined his race it was better to retire and have a fresh powerplant in the decisive race

PlatinumZealot

This race was NOT boring for LH fans!!... :D

There were 3 cars behind him that wanted to get rid of him.. to me every single Turn of The Great One was nail biting..

Kimi and Massa looked like little kids in the detention room in the post race interview! I was so disgusted with what Massa had to say I just turned off my TV and went to bed.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

JamesS
JamesS

n smikle wrote:This race was NOT boring for LH fans!!... :D

There were 3 cars behind him that wanted to get rid of him.. to me every single Turn of The Great One was nail biting..

Kimi and Massa looked like little kids in the detention room in the post race interview! I was so disgusted with what Massa had to say I just turned off my TV and went to bed.
As a Lewis fan, I was on the edge of my seat the entire race. At the start my heartbeat was probably on par with the drivers, same for pit stops and when his team mate picked up the puncture.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Tom Castellani wrote:
mx_tifosi wrote:Norbert Haug
I'm no expert but I'll have a stab anyway. That means the engine would have been running lean (as opposed to rich) and more air than fuel would be getting to the engine. This can cause all sorts of problems for an average engine; worse performance, over heating through to seizing entirely. For a highly strung F1 I can only imagine what the implications might be.

Wait, back to basics... You know that engines run on a mixture of fuel and air right? Well like I said, an imbalance either way can cause various problems in any type of engine.

They use compressed air for the valve springing duties and I would imagine there was a minor leak or excessive wastage in the loop. You can sometimes see them top it up using an air bottle.

Engine lean/rich issues would be managed using the ECU - just feed it more fuel...
OT - a bloody boring race.. not one I will watch again anyways
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

myurr
myurr

Tom Castellani wrote:I'm no expert but I'll have a stab anyway. That means the engine would have been running lean (as opposed to rich) and more air than fuel would be getting to the engine. This can cause all sorts of problems for an average engine; worse performance, over heating through to seizing entirely. For a highly strung F1 I can only imagine what the implications might be.

I thought he was referring to the compressed air supply for the engines valves. If that is the case then it sounds like the system was either leaking or simply using too much air, exhausting it's available supply.

Rob W

MattF1 wrote:Most second places, - if equal, most third places - etc.
If Massa Wins he'll actually have 6 wins to Hamilton's 5.

If Massa comes 2nd and Hamilton 8th then they will be on even points also - but Massa will still win the WDC (I think), owing to him then having three 2nd places to Hamilton's two 2nds.

R

The FOZ
The FOZ

Rob W wrote:
MattF1 wrote:Most second places, - if equal, most third places - etc.
If Massa Wins he'll actually have 6 wins to Hamilton's 5.

If Massa comes 2nd and Hamilton 8th then they will be on even points also - but Massa will still win the WDC (I think), owing to him then having three 2nd places to Hamilton's two 2nds.

R
Correct, as far as I can tell now. If Massa wins in points with a first place finish, he'll win. If he wins in points with a second place finish, he still wins.

The FOZ
The FOZ

timbo wrote:I think that Heikki's "retire" was a strategic move. After puncture ruined his race it was better to retire and have a fresh powerplant in the decisive race
Nope.

The only way you can get a free engine change is if you can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that your retirement was because of the engine.

I saw a brake issue that may have lead to a tire puncture. Ron Dennis will have a tough time explaining how an engine problem made his tire go flat.

shotzski

It's such a shame that Lewis has to fight all by himself. I hope Heikki could up his game for Brazil and make it a 1-2 or 1-3 finish. He has to deliver the goods and help the team.

Will Lewis be using a new powerplant for the last race?

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

shotzski wrote: Will Lewis be using a new powerplant for the last race?
Nope - it was covered in the race commentary - He'll be on the second race with the power plant used in China..

Norbert Haug said in the grid walk interview that it isn't as bad as it used to be a few years ago, when it used to be 2/10s per lap.. now it's more like 50/100s per lap..
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners