2008 Barcelona Testing Thread (17 Nov - 19 Nov)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
djos

Re: 2008 Barcelona Testing Thread (17 Nov - 19 Nov)

It definitely looks better on slicks!

"In downforce we trust"

djos

Diesel wrote:Also, what's tapped on the bottom of the nose in this pic

It looks like a small camera, I imagine they want to record how the new tire is working.
"In downforce we trust"

BJH_F1
BJH_F1

It's hard to determine from that angle, but it's likely a camera to help them review the movable aero device.

shotzski

Quote from Christian Klien:
"As it is at the moment it's the worst formula one car I have ever seen. It doesn't seem like it fits, all the big wings and everything.

"But everyone will get used to it and it's not how it will look in March."
It seems the cars will get a lot sexier by then. I hope so.

Conceptual
Conceptual

Wouldnt the BMW endplate be better served if the wing actually followed the profile of the endplate? Here is a quick model I made to show my point.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/z8 ... 4TNfWzBQKA

I simply cannot get the pic in thread thing to work for me...lol

The yellow circle is the part that I am specifically mentioning here.

Scotracer
Scotracer

Chris ;)

Whilst I'd need to actually do more legwork on it, I believe that would cause some what of a diffuser effect, reducing pressure above the wing, reducing downforce. Also, it would cause more turbulence.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

Conceptual
Conceptual

Alright, I thought of it while looking at the BMW.

Thanks for the try on getting the pic in there... Maybe google Picasa (which has embed/link tags available for copy/paste) simply will not work here!

EDIT: upon re-loading the thread, it worked for you!!! WTF!?!?
Last edited by Conceptual on 19 Nov 2008, 02:24, edited 1 time in total.

Scotracer
Scotracer

Hmm, that shows that it doesn't allow hotlinking of images, I'm afraid. It worked whilst I posted it but now that I've resent the data, it's blocked it. Bugger.

Nice model though ;)
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

Conceptual
Conceptual

Scotracer wrote:Hmm, that shows that it doesn't allow hotlinking of images, I'm afraid. It worked whilst I posted it but now that I've resent the data, it's blocked it. Bugger.

Nice model though ;)

Ty, my 3 year old "helped"... Actually she was hanging on my mouse arm the entire time...lol

crbassassin

freedom_honda wrote:"The car has more drag, so it is a bit slower on the straight." Robert Kubica

i thought with all the aero bits gone the new cars should have LESS drag not more?
without the winglets you loose aero efficiency

guy_smiley

its interesting to me how many developments BMW have on their t-car already. they have the new front wing, the new nose, the new rear wing, no flip-ups/bargeboards/t-wings etc., they have slicks, kers, and reshaped sidepods with many different vents for kers. no other team has, so far, so many 2009 components on their interim cars...although:

Kubica: "...We are testing here only a couple of basic things as we have to gather as many data as possible. I really don't know if we will have any advantage thanks to driving a car with changed aero. There is a lot of time till the first race so I reckon all teams will be ready. We are testing new solutions here, but the new car will be totally different. It's hard to say who will be competitive in 2009, it's going to be a big lottery. I expect bigger gaps between the teams, especially in the beginning."

anyway, like i said, i find it interesting that they've many 2009 components already....it makes me wonder about their development compared to other teams...hmmmmm... :D
Smiles all 'round!

vasia
vasia

guy_smiley wrote:its interesting to me how many developments BMW have on their t-car already. they have the new front wing, the new nose, the new rear wing, no flip-ups/bargeboards/t-wings etc., they have slicks, kers, and reshaped sidepods with many different vents for kers. no other team has, so far, so many 2009 components on their interim cars...although:

Kubica: "...We are testing here only a couple of basic things as we have to gather as many data as possible. I really don't know if we will have any advantage thanks to driving a car with changed aero. There is a lot of time till the first race so I reckon all teams will be ready. We are testing new solutions here, but the new car will be totally different. It's hard to say who will be competitive in 2009, it's going to be a big lottery. I expect bigger gaps between the teams, especially in the beginning."

anyway, like i said, i find it interesting that they've many 2009 components already....it makes me wonder about their development compared to other teams...hmmmmm... :D
There is no guarantee the nose, sidepods will look the same on the 2009 car. It's quite likely they will look different. As for the "many different vents for KERS", those vents are not allowed next year.

For example, all of the gills and cooling vents on the Ferrari F2008K right now are banned for 2009, plus with the 3 race engine rule reliability will be a key issue.

Shaddock

Conceptual wrote:Wouldnt the BMW endplate be better served if the wing actually followed the profile of the endplate? Here is a quick model I made to show my point.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/z8 ... 4TNfWzBQKA

I simply cannot get the pic in thread thing to work for me...lol

The yellow circle is the part that I am specifically mentioning here.
If you look carefully at the BMW front wing the top flap has two black L shaped objects sticking up 3/4 of the way to the endplate ? is this part of the mechanisim to move the wing ?

gerhard
gerhard

BMW is running today with cables supporting the front wing sides, probably for preventing them to brake and to be left behind somewhere in the track :lol:
By the looks of things I'm starting to think we'll not see nothing more much exciting in this barcelona tests, hope I'm wrong... Will McLaren test? I don't remember seeing any pics of it....

myurr
myurr

McLaren have been running KERS tests with what looks like 2008 aero, although it's probably set to emulate 2009 downforce levels.