Cosworth, Xtrac and Ricardo win engine tender

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.

Do you support standard output engines?

Yes
27%
No
63%
Not sure
10%

Total votes: 48

xpensive
xpensive

Re: Cosworth, Xtrac and Ricardo win engine tender

What's more, Cosworth were equally snubbed by Red Bull, who rather opted for an expensive Renault Engine. Well, helluva lot of good that did to Matechitz team.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Carlos
Carlos

Conceptual - Once a piston is at top dead centre there really isn't much empty volume. Even a large American V8 head, reworked, trimmed down, using an extra thin head gasket for extra horsepower on the street,can be about 60cc.Actually 60cc is kind of a standard with US - V8 street racers.
http://www.fordforums.com/f497/afd-4v-6 ... buy-127926

xpensive
xpensive

Gentlemen,
The last time I checked, the cylinder volume of a piston-engine is defined by cylinder area times length of stroke, hence "volume".

Empty volume at piston's TDC can decide the compression ratio, but not the cylinder volume, unless I missed something fundamental at university.

Carlos
Carlos

Good to know.

donskar
donskar

xpensive wrote:Conceptual wrote:
I know that my first car had a 2.2 turbo (Dodge Daytona) and later their minivans ran with a 2.5 turbo. The engine blocks were identical, the only difference was the heads.

So in that case, there catually IS a .3L increase simply due to the head design.
Sure thing, it those heads somehow changed the bore, stroke or both.
Errrr . . . No. The block WAS externally identical, but the 2.5 version had a larger bore and longer stroke. Think original Chevy V8s - 265 and 283. Externally identical blocks, but different internally, where it counts. Countless other examples are available.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Shaddock

xpensive wrote:Gentlemen,
The last time I checked, the cylinder volume of a piston-engine is defined by cylinder area times length of stroke, hence "volume".

Empty volume at piston's TDC can decide the compression ratio, but not the cylinder volume, unless I missed something fundamental at university.
Yes, it’s the swept volume by the piston(s) from TDC to TDB that people usually refer to as volume or capacity.

Sizes of 60cc etc are combustion chamber dimensions (volume of the space above the piston at TDC)

If you take the cylinder head off a normal road engine and 'skim the head' you will reduce the combustion chamber size (increasing compression) and usually increase power. Alternately if you add a turbo to naturally aspirated engine you should be looking to add a spacer between the head and the block to lower compression.

Belatti
Belatti

donskar wrote:
xpensive wrote:Conceptual wrote:
I know that my first car had a 2.2 turbo (Dodge Daytona) and later their minivans ran with a 2.5 turbo. The engine blocks were identical, the only difference was the heads.

So in that case, there catually IS a .3L increase simply due to the head design.
Sure thing, it those heads somehow changed the bore, stroke or both.
Errrr . . . No. The block WAS externally identical, but the 2.5 version had a larger bore and longer stroke. Think original Chevy V8s - 265 and 283. Externally identical blocks, but different internally, where it counts. Countless other examples are available.
I think this happens because the process of designing a new matrix/casting dies for a block is complex and expensive. Maybe they only change internal sandbox.

I imagine a block suitable for 2.5L is very overdimentioned for 2.2L and thus there is a material waste, overweight and a worse heat exchange. There are others advantages.

As donskar says, there are countless examples: I owned a FIAT with a 1.4L engine derivend from the 1.6L. That engine had very low fuel consumption and could handle a lot of right foot beatings without even a failure in 400T kilometres. The engine was then used in the early 90s in the 1.4 Turbo Uno. A little and very light beast that could beat 2.0 cars in the 1/4 mile.

Back on topic, my crystal ball once told me Cosworth was cost efficient. Cosworth won egine tender. My crystal ball was right. :lol:
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

WhiteBlue

Kudos for that prediction!!
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

xpensive
xpensive

It seems to be a done deal, just as someone predicted last week.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72413

Shaddock

xpensive
xpensive

Naaah, I said in 2006 that they would be back within soon...*LoL*

WhiteBlue

Now I wait to see who currently owns Cosworth. I would not put it past some of F1's sharks to silently aquire a controlling interest in the standard engine supplier. Both Briatore and Mateschitz would be good for such a move in my view.

It as been known since months that Renault would support the standard engine move. Renault has all but shut down their F1 engine department and to have it to revive could be the straw that brakes the camels neck for Goshn.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Shaddock

WhiteBlue wrote:Now I wait to see who currently owns Cosworth. I would not put it past some of F1's sharks to silently aquire a controlling interest in the standard engine supplier. Both Briatore and Mateschitz would be good for such a move in my view.

It as been known since months that Renault would support the standard engine move. Renault has all but shut down their F1 engine department and to have it to revive could be the straw that brakes the camels neck for Goshn.
Agreed, VW or Hyundai could purchase Cosworth for around 60mil and rebadge the engines as VW-Cosworth or Hyundai-Cosworth as Ford did in the 90's.

This is peanuts to throwing 300mil a year to run a full F1 team.

WhiteBlue

Shaddock wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:Now I wait to see who currently owns Cosworth. I would not put it past some of F1's sharks to silently aquire a controlling interest in the standard engine supplier. Both Briatore and Mateschitz would be good for such a move in my view.

Agreed, VW or Hyundai could purchase Cosworth for around 60mil and rebadge the engines as VW-Cosworth or Hyundai-Cosworth as Ford did in the 90's....
Except that badging isn't allowed according to the tender. But as a first step to an assault in some years when cost have settled down it would be a terrific investment by any new automotive company.

For a privateer like Mateschitz it would guarantee that automotives can never screw them again over engine deals.

For the big five it means that they can kiss a new engine formula good bye unless they accomodate the wishes of the Cosworth customers.

xpensive
xpensive

When I belive that anthing is possible after this, I would like to take the opportunity to make a notice of my crystal-ball pediction, that we will see six-race 2.6l methanol turbo V8s in 2010 or 2011. Any takers?