Ferrari's "Special Deal" with Bernie.. The Truth is out!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Conceptual
Conceptual

Re: Ferrari's "Special Deal" with Bernie.. The Truth is out!

Rob W wrote:
- The forcing of Michelin out of F1, which had a direct benefit to Ferrari as their sole test team. (sure, they didn't capitalise on it.. but they had a definite start on everyone else)

If I recall my history, after back-to-back championships, Michelin was offered the single tyre supplier role, but declined because they wanted to keep competing to drive their technology forward, not just make a spec tyre that had zero motivation for improvement.

Now that may have been creative PR from Michelin, but I am very sure that it was said at the end of 2006 by the top Michelin guy...

Anyone have a link? I was on a different board at that time, and I refuse to go back to that cesspool to even dig up a link.

myurr
myurr

I recall the same thing - Michelin argued, quite rightly in my opinion, that the reason they spent so much money, time and effort on F1 was that it was a competition that they aimed to win, and that the competition provided them with brand value. No competition meant no value to them.

However once the single spec series was announced I also remember other stories doing the rounds that said that the Indy fallout with the FIA meant that Michelin had a pretty low chance of winning the tender and that they weren't willing to spend the money required pitching for something they felt they couldn't win.

Either way decisions made by the FIA effectively made their continued presence in F1 impractical from their point of view.

donskar
donskar

xpensive wrote:The entire thing is of course just a clever charade, since 1996 it has been orchestrated by Mosley, Ecclesttone and Ferrari in order to create a legendary brand-name by making Schumacher the most successful F1 driver of all time with five straight WC's.

Before that, Ferrari was just another F1 team selling crappy road cars, only a little less organized, and Formula One was in great shape.
You ARE joking, right?

If not, please note this fact: The first real Ferrari was raced in 1947, and the Ferrari logo appeared on successful Alfa race cars (and a WW1 Italian air force fighter) long before that.

But, then, you ARE joking. Right? [-o<
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

zoru
zoru

donskar wrote:FACT: Ferrari has a higher brand recognition than any team in F1. In fact they are up there with Coca-Cola, Marlboro, McDonalds, etc.
The FACT is that they are all in red.
So is Father Christmas.
We should get a hint from here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4559071.stm

Sorry for a rubbish post. I will go to bed now.

West
West

A special deal with Ferrari?

The earth revolves around the sun?

Good ruckus, but unfortunately it gives real F1 fans more ammunition to say that the chamionship is run by the Ferrari International Assistance committee.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

andartop
andartop

I apologize if anyone took offense from my mathematical formula, but the truth is, and I believe most people here might agree on that, that maths are impartial. Anyway, it was just a formula to indicate (not prove, as I stated) the quality of one's posts, not the poster's, and strictly speaking it does indeed show how much time each of us has had to think of what we are posting! In this irrational era where even the Himalayan Yeti and Elvis might be accused of helping Ferrari, I attempted to find reason in maths, as all in life is maths..
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

I just don't see the big deal here.

Ferrari had a special deal before this one came about - they always did as when FOCA needed to win the FISA<>FOCA war in the early 80's it was all about who could land Ferrari into their camp.

The FOCA won - Ferrari were granted a special status, distinct from the garagistes, where they received money for a change in allegiance.

You can see that this bonus paid off when they won a constructors championship and then it snowballed as they made more money year on year in bonus - good on them - you have the rules, however bent, and you play to them.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

xpensive
xpensive

Like someone else suggested earlier, engaging in a discussion with a hard-core tifosi is somewhat futile, when emotions takes over rather promptly and not even a bit of self-irony seems to work. Pity that.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

GTO

The so called leaders of the pinnacle of motor racing are turning F1 into a gong show. I'm slowly getting turned off by their unprofessionalism & public airing of their personal attacks at each other. It's getting a little tiresome. They think this helps in getting press attention, maybe, but I beg to argue whether it is good press. I think these guys should take some public relations refresher courses & start making some positive comments about the sport giving consideration to the racing fans for a change & stop thinking about their own world of wealth & aquiring more wealth.
:x

timbo
timbo

xpensive wrote:Like someone else suggested earlier, engaging in a discussion with a hard-core tifosi is somewhat futile, when emotions takes over rather promptly and not even a bit of self-irony seems to work. Pity that.
So are anti-tifosies. And even worser, as they are much more into conspiracy theories.

safeaschuck

Did you know Mclaren are the best race team, Porsche make the best race cars for everyday road driving, Lambourghini's are more reliable, Ferrari's rarely top the J.D. power customer satisfaction survey, There are several road cars faster than the fastest Ferrari road cars AND BMW's are the Ultimate Driving Machine (It was Officialy announced in Stutgart earlier this year)
So what do Ferrari actually do best? :o

Belatti
Belatti

safeaschuck wrote:Did you know Mclaren are the best race team, Porsche make the best race cars for everyday road driving, Lambourghini's are more reliable, Ferrari's rarely top the J.D. power customer satisfaction survey, There are several road cars faster than the fastest Ferrari road cars AND BMW's are the Ultimate Driving Machine (It was Officialy announced in Stutgart earlier this year)
So what do Ferrari actually do best? :o
So what do Ferrari actually did best?

In spanish there is a said: "Hazte fama y echate a dormir" or "Build up fame arround you and go to sleep"
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

andartop
andartop

Emotion has nothing to do with maths. It's plain numbers. Usually, but not always, the truth lies in the numbers.
In this case, the numbers can tell us both what Ferrari has achieved over the years AND whether some people think this forum is like an RPG where you have to "level-up" in order to succeed!
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

xpensive
xpensive

When getting personal is not really my bag, I rest my case. *S*
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

donskar
donskar

andartop wrote:Emotion has nothing to do with maths. It's plain numbers. Usually, but not always, the truth lies in the numbers.
In this case, the numbers can tell us both what Ferrari has achieved over the years AND whether some people think this forum is like an RPG where you have to "level-up" in order to succeed!
We-e-e-e-lllll . . As Disraeli and several others have said:
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Statistics can -- with the best will in the world -- be made to make many different cases.

Case in point: very few posts over a long period might indicate deep thought -- or lack of interest. Many posts over a short period might indicate shallow thinking -- or a hard-working person without the time he/she would like to devote to their passion.

In my case, I post only from work (11-13 hours per day 5 or 6 days per week, spent at my computer doing e-commerce. My posts are often terse and badly typed -- because I have to watch out for the boss.

What was the topic again???? #-o
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill