No more pit lane closures @ safety cars

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
timbo
timbo

Re: No more pit lane closures @ safety cars

shir0 wrote:
timbo wrote:
shir0 wrote:Theoretically, the drivers who've decided to pit could still run towards the pit-lane at "unsafe" speeds, then braking/slowing down before they enter the service road leading to the pitlane.
But what is the benefit of doing so?
could this be the answer to your inquiry:
Article 40.7 of the '09 Sporting Regs: any car leaving the pits may be overtaken by another car on the track before it crosses the second safety car line

Caution: it may still require some deep pondering on your part...
It still has no relation to the driver who's going to pit, because he obviously have to obey the timer and won't benifit from driving fast and then waiting.
timbo wrote:
shir0 wrote:Another thing; how will it be decided if a car, which is not entering the pits, is running about at an "unsafe" speed? Commonly, the Safety Car itself will dictate the pace...but how about those cars behind the SC which will not enter the pits? If they are far enough from the SC when the SC got deployed, what will limit their speed until they've caught up to the SC?
Once again, what is the point of going "unsafely" fast for them? You're not supposed to overtake under yellow and if you're not going to pits you'd better save fuel.
aaahhmm... read my comment above...same thing, mate! some more thinking required, of course. not to mention a little bit of imagination. :wink:[/quote]
This situation seems reasonable, however, pitting cars already have disadvantage because they have to wait for green light. And I belive they have to wait for all the others to pass by, so still no reason for hurry if you're not pitting, guys in the pits would wait for you anyway.
FYI...I'm not against new rules or experimntation with rules. What I'd like to have are solid black and white rules if we're to have rules at all.
Of course we all want that. But limiter engagement seems not so easy thing to me. After all with limiter or not it IS the driver who controls the vehicle ultimately. Remember MS having two cases of retiring behind safety car?