Renault R29

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: Renault R29

Either way, I think the pic is good illustration that the nose-cone is not where you put the ballast on an F1 car?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Zelig

You are right, guys - I can't believe I haven't noticed... to much coffeine, I guess ;)
Anything happens in Grand Prix racing and it usually does (mw)

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

spaman wrote:Can´t see any changes to the nose. But if ya'll take a look at the other pictures here http://my.ing-renaultf1.com/en/blog/939 ... stone.html you'll find some changes to the side skirts.

First I thought it´s the first Chassis they used at Portimao - but then I found out, that the Skirts a partly black or unpainted (try to zoom in (Strg +++)) with your webbrowser).

We'll know more soon (Sunday).
Monday 23 February 2009 at 18:57:54 by RF1 Paddock Pass

Hi Tony, yes that is our very first chassis, but I think the mechanics will still be wearing last year's overalls at the Jerez test. I will try and be more active this week but things were pretty hectic last week hence my poor contributions on the blog!

Here is the testing calendar for the next few weeks:

1-4 March Jerez
9-12 March Barcelona
15-17 March Jerez

Then it's straight on to Oz...
#

Wednesday 25 February 2009 at 11:05:59 by RF1 Paddock Pass

Hi guys, yes not long until the test now, which should give us plenty of things to talk about and ponder. To put the chassis debate to rest, I can confirm that we will be using a different chassis to the one we used at the last test - think it will be number 3.

By the way BOL, it will be English RF1PP in Jerez next week. I'll keep an eye out for a white clio and would be happy to shake the paws of any members of the Lion clan!
Thats from the comments and the "RF1 Paddock Pass" is the moderator so his info is legit

spaman

I wouldn´t say that just because he´s the moderator it´s legit. It is legit, that he wrote this, but that says nothing about the truth of the content.

I would even say, that since he now anounces, that there will be a new chassis at the next test, that the pictures show the new chassis. It makes more sense to practice with the actual than with a nose which won´t be in use. Am I wrong?

djos

Zelig wrote:Image

is it me, or the nose seems to be a bit more rounded at the very top, and lowered too... ??
I think you are correct, the nose tip is slightly more pointy than before:

and here is some launch pics for comparison were it is very blunt:
"In downforce we trust"

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

djos wrote:I think you are correct, the nose tip is slightly more pointy than before:
Since that nose is not like historical nose cones, I would expect there to be refinements to it throughout the season tbh.

axle
axle

kilcoo316 wrote:
djos wrote:I think you are correct, the nose tip is slightly more pointy than before:
Since that nose is not like historical nose cones, I would expect there to be refinements to it throughout the season tbh.
Yeah, refinements, like sticking it in the bin and starting again...
- Axle

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

spaman wrote:I wouldn´t say that just because he´s the moderator it´s legit. It is legit, that he wrote this, but that says nothing about the truth of the content.

I would even say, that since he now anounces, that there will be a new chassis at the next test, that the pictures show the new chassis. It makes more sense to practice with the actual than with a nose which won´t be in use. Am I wrong?
Well, he is the moderator for the fan blog and he is clearly well connected with the actual team and he has a historic of being correct. So I'm gonna take his word for it, but to each his own.

jwielage
jwielage

[quote]Yeah, refinements, like sticking it in the bin and starting again...
quote]

Not likely, would they really have stuck with the nose this long if that were the case. One would think that any radical change to the nose would represent a fundamental change in the entire car's areodynamic philosophy.

I'm not sure why everyone keeps hating on this nose. While it is not sleek, i think it is cool that we are seeing drasticly different approaches.
“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so" - Mark Twain

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

axle wrote:Yeah, refinements, like sticking it in the bin and starting again...
Why do you say that?

Do you know what they are trying to do with it?

Beewill
Beewill

I apologize if this has been discussed earlier but I can't help but notice how different Renault's approach is to using the end plates to guide airflow over the front wheels as opposed to around them. The only other team who appears to have used this approach was Toyota. In their launch pictures it appeared their philosophy was to manage flow both over and around but in their latest testing pictures it appears they have decided against going over. From my stand point, that I am not an engineer, wouldn't it be more efficient to use Renault's approach and create flow over the wheels and perhaps channel the flow to the rear wing rather than creating drag and wasting that flow around the wheels? Perhaps one of you that is much smarter than I can help me understand this better?
"Time is a waste of life, life is a waste of time. So, lets get wasted all of the time and have the time of our lives" George Carlin

Shaddock

Beewill wrote:I apologize if this has been discussed earlier but I can't help but notice how different Renault's approach is to using the end plates to guide airflow over the front wheels as opposed to around them. The only other team who appears to have used this approach was Toyota. In their launch pictures it appeared their philosophy was to manage flow both over and around but in their latest testing pictures it appears they have decided against going over. From my stand point, that I am not an engineer, wouldn't it be more efficient to use Renault's approach and create flow over the wheels and perhaps channel the flow to the rear wing rather than creating drag and wasting that flow around the wheels? Perhaps one of you that is much smarter than I can help me understand this better?
I think Renaults is the more complicated solution or the two. As the driver turns the steering wheel entering a medium-fast bend, the profile the wheel presents to the airflow will change and this may alter the down force levels at the rear wings. The tail could become very snappy and unpredictable due to this.

Moanlower

Zelig wrote:
is it me, or the nose seems to be a bit more rounded at the very top, and lowered too... ??
Like said before, it's most likely the different angle that is misleading. ALso, don't forget that it's about practicing pitstops. Now why would they practice changing 2 different noses :?: Doesn't make sense.. What's certain is that the nosecone from the first test is a bit different to the one in latest tests.
xpensive wrote:Either way, I think the pic is good illustration that the nose-cone is not where you put the ballast on an F1 car?
I don't understand. Why is that a good illustration? Do you think a mechanic can't lift a nose fitted with ballast? :P
Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

timbo
timbo

Moanlower wrote:I don't understand. Why is that a good illustration? Do you think a mechanic can't lift a nose fitted with ballast? :P
Unless they made ballast of goose feather, mechanic wouldn't be able to lift a nosecone of that volume fully packed :lol:

Moanlower

timbo wrote:
Moanlower wrote:I don't understand. Why is that a good illustration? Do you think a mechanic can't lift a nose fitted with ballast? :P
Unless they made ballast of goose feather, mechanic wouldn't be able to lift a nosecone of that volume fully packed :lol:
Why can't it be something in between the goose feathers and fully packed? :wtf: How much ballast did you have in mind? Ballast is mostly spread and not all stuffed in 1 area. You could easily put 30 or 40kg in the nose if needed even though I THINK less will do on a well balanced basic design.
Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.