Renault R29

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Moanlower

Re: Renault R29

The last pictures definatly shows a more narrow sidepod. I thought it was due to the shadow, also the cut underneath the air intake.
Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

Zelig

kilcoo316 wrote:Temperature gauges.
They'll want to be very careful over heating up the suspension members.
You're sure? so many of them?! I thought these gauges are not so simple - I saw some on Ferrari - they looked a bit more "complex", so to say...
Anything happens in Grand Prix racing and it usually does (mw)

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

Zelig wrote:
kilcoo316 wrote:Temperature gauges.
They'll want to be very careful over heating up the suspension members.
You're sure? so many of them?! I thought these gauges are not so simple - I saw some on Ferrari - they looked a bit more "complex", so to say...

Fairly sure...

Even if they only change colour with temperature - a rearward facing camera should be enough to figure out the temps.

Zelig

kilcoo316 wrote:Fairly sure...
Even if they only change colour with temperature - a rearward facing camera should be enough to figure out the temps.
thanks, mate...
Anything happens in Grand Prix racing and it usually does (mw)

BorisTheBlade

I think they just generate a Snapshot of the peak Temperatures, which is absolutely sufficient, if you try to avoid your suspension melting away like ice in the sun ;)
IIRC Ferrari also uses them at their shiny new exhaust outlets.

myurr
myurr

Moanlower wrote:The last pictures definatly shows a more narrow sidepod. I thought it was due to the shadow, also the cut underneath the air intake.
There is no cut underneath the air intake - that's definitely a difference in shadows. But the sidepods are narrower - my guess is that they've decided not to run KERS, at least for the first few races, and so have decided to remove the batteries etc. and have therefore been able to slim the car down a bit.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

myurr wrote:
Moanlower wrote:The last pictures definatly shows a more narrow sidepod. I thought it was due to the shadow, also the cut underneath the air intake.
There is no cut underneath the air intake - that's definitely a difference in shadows. But the sidepods are narrower - my guess is that they've decided not to run KERS, at least for the first few races, and so have decided to remove the batteries etc. and have therefore been able to slim the car down a bit.
Accoring to Alonso they do use KERS "all the time". From an interview yesterday:
¿Has probado el KERS hoy?¿Qué tal las sensaciones? Decía Felipe Massa que no ha podido adelantar a Kubica cuando lo ha probado, no sé que sensaciones has tenido con él.

Sí que lo he llevado hoy, lo hemos llevado toda la semana y lo llevaremos, porque hasta ahora es una de las cosas positivas, nos estamos encontrando también con el coche nuevo que no están dando demasiados problemas, toquemos madera, el KERS y esperamos comenzar el campeonato con él. Pero bueno, es un sistema que como ya dije la otra vez, a la hora de facilitar los adelantamientos no creo que vaya a mejorar mucho la cosa porque al final acabaremos pulsando el botón todos los pilotos en el mismo sitio, en la misma recta, y todo correremos lo mismo. Pero mejor llevarlo que no llevarlo.
Weak translation of the interesting parts:
Have you used KERS today? [...]
Yes I have had it mounted today, we have had it mounted all week and we'll continue having it mounted, because up until now it is one of the positive things [...] and we expect to start the championship with it. [...]
Whole interview [2pages]:
http://www.motor21.com/noticia.asp?dt=315&nt=61015

myurr
myurr

imightbewrong wrote: Weak translation of the interesting parts:
Yes I have had it mounted today, we have had it mounted all week and we'll continue having it mounted, because up until now it is one of the positive things [...] and we expect to start the championship with it. [...]
Don't doubt you or the translation - but in that photo the car definitely did not have the KERS warning label on it. I thought that was mandatory.

Will be interesting to see the explanation!

Moanlower

myurr wrote:
Accually thats what I meant. :oops: Just my incompetence explaining myself at times. No cut and no different sidepod but all just a trick of the shadow was what I thought.
Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

myurr wrote:
imightbewrong wrote: Weak translation of the interesting parts:
Don't doubt you or the translation - but in that photo the car definitely did not have the KERS warning label on it. I thought that was mandatory.

Will be interesting to see the explanation!
Yeah, I found that odd too. But I also found what he said rather odd. He didn't say that they had been using it all week, he just said that they had it "mounted" all week. So maybe they have just had it in the car to get the real balance but haven't actually focused on testing it this week?

I dunno, beats me.

quidam
quidam

new difusser :

New body :

xpensive
xpensive

Right, now we're just waiting for the real nose and Alonso should be in god shape. :wink:
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Undercarriage of the R29 from one of the first test days:

Original image:
http://premium.f1-live.com/f1/photos-hi ... po_166.jpg

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Another picture of the tightened back.

What is the purpose of the arm that is present in the first photo but that is missing in the second? The brass colored one behind the suspension.

czt
czt

It's the rear trackrod with some heat reflective tape on it - it's plain black on the other pic and looks a bit different because of the angle of the photo.