BMW Sauber F1.09

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
marinopc
marinopc

Re: BMW Sauber F1.09

BMW Sauber has been the most advanced team in aerodynamics the last two years, since Albert2 is working. They were capable to put new pieces race after race and this year ANY update since the preseason tests.

What's happening Mario? Where is that great team? Everyone introducing interim DDD, and BMW saying that won't be any update in Barcelona... Either they make an incredible F1.09B for Monaco, or better begin to think in 2010.

I don't understand anything this year in my loved team!

ISLAMATRON

If they were the most advanced team why did they only win 1(lucky) race during those 2 years?

Fil

marinopc wrote:...BMW saying that won't be any update in Barcelona...

Theissen's own words:

"Apparently other teams made an improvement on a race-by-race basis whereas we are preparing a comprehensive package for Barcelona and I can only hope that we will make a step forward there."

"We will have a sequence of improvements throughout the season but this is the first major one so I have some hopes about it."

its a matter of what teams think is better.. lots of small performance upgrades, or bigger jumps less often.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

Scotracer
Scotracer

I hope the Barcelona updates make all the cars as pretty as the Williams...
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Fil wrote:
marinopc wrote:...BMW saying that won't be any update in Barcelona...

Theissen's own words:

"Apparently other teams made an improvement on a race-by-race basis whereas we are preparing a comprehensive package for Barcelona and I can only hope that we will make a step forward there."

"We will have a sequence of improvements throughout the season but this is the first major one so I have some hopes about it."

its a matter of what teams think is better.. lots of small performance upgrades, or bigger jumps less often.
While other teams such as Renault and McLaren are rushing upgrades on a weekly basis, BMW are stagnant. All the while, they are not collecting those valuable points. As well, both drivers have become nervous, and making driving mistakes. During the Bahrain race both drivers had contact with others. Who knows, maybe BMW have such an impressive upgrade package it could launch them to the front. But that means nothing when they have allowed precious points to pass by.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Fil

i guess they've taken some short-term pain hoping for long-term gain.

season-end we'll see if they did it right, or if teams like McLaren and Renault were right in small, constant improvements.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

BMW may have been competitive in Australia, but ever since then, everything has been pissed away.
So far, BMW has scored just 4 points, for finishing 2nd in Malaysia. And in Bahrain, BMW were an embarassment to themselves. If you're not moving forward, then you are going backward because everyone else is going forward themselves.
Trouble is, BMW aren't the only team underperforming. Ferrari and Williams also come to mind.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Fil

Williams are definitely in trouble. they're one of the teams who have chosen to bring small consistent upgrades, but still keep going backwards.
Ferrari are doing the same as BMW and are continuing design work, planning a big upgrade for Spain.

the flipside of this is McLaren doing what you are preaching Dave: they brought developments earlier, helping Lewis to a few points. they will pay for this in Spain where they have already admitted they will have no updates. see them finish outside the top 10 a la BMW in Bahrain.

BMW has been as stagnant as Brawn in on-track developments. Barcelona has been both team's aim. difference is Brawn got it more right for season-launch.

vasia
vasia

Fil wrote: its a matter of what teams think is better.. lots of small performance upgrades, or bigger jumps less often.
The problem is that even some of these other teams that have been introducing small upgrades race-to-race will have fairly big upgrade packages in Spain. McLaren actually is supposed to have some upgrades in Spain, not sure where you hear they would not. Red Bull also has mentioned they have an upgrade, as well as Williams and Force India. Renault is said to have an upgrade too.

Toyota says they have a fairly big upgrade for Spain, and that is amazing considering Toyota has also been bringing small updates race-to-race.

BMW just seems to not have a very fast development pace this year with the new rules. Having a powerful supercomputer does not guarantee a team has the most advanced aerodynamics. A supercomputer is simply a tool; it is up to the engineers and aero guys to take full advantage of it.

It seems to me BMW has been relying too much on their supercomputer and has not been fast enough or clever enough to adapt to these new rules. Being clever with the new rules requires human ingenuity, not a supercomputer.

Fil

vasia wrote:McLaren actually is supposed to have some upgrades in Spain, not sure where you hear they would not.
sorry, got Spain confused with Bahrain!

all depends on how big the improvements in performance are for BMW relative to others. i have my fingers crossed Albert comes through for the team!

Callum

I was thinking that maybe their developments would not work alone.

such as new sidepods on their own would not work with the rear wing

or a new front wing wouldnt work with the underfloor

but when you put the new sidepods, wing and underfloor system together you get the advantage.

just an idea to explain the seeming lack of development.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Developments wise the BMW Sauber can only do one way, up.

But developments that i can see getting made are a new front win and nosecons design, DDD and required rear end redesign, Sidepod upgrades and a new floor, posibly a lightening of the KERS system as well, or a change from the Super-Capasitor type to the Battery type that Ferarri, McLaren and Renault are having 75% success with, where the BMWs are having 0% success with theirs.

BMW Have slipped way down compaired to last year, whitch could have been their chance at a Drivers Title as the order of the grid has taken a massive turn with the new regs.

ISLAMATRON

Wasnt Mario saying they had the speed to win in Austrailia? What happened to that speed?

cba_
cba_

ISLAMATRON wrote:Wasnt Mario saying they had the speed to win in Austrailia? What happened to that speed?
They lost it in the next corner after kubica hit vettel :lol:

ringo

BMW does not have any passion, that is the problem right now. Ferrari seems to understand the gravity of being in their low position while the BMW team and drivers are almost non existent on the track. This is a real disappoint after the debut of the car seemed so promising. I don't know what they can do now to recover.
Its as if they brought the same down force and tire problems from last year back with them.
For Sure!!