BMW Sauber F1.09

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
woohoo
woohoo

Re: BMW Sauber F1.09

ringo wrote:BMW does not have any passion, that is the problem right now. Ferrari seems to understand the gravity of being in their low position while the BMW team and drivers are almost non existent on the track. This is a real disappoint after the debut of the car seemed so promising. I don't know what they can do now to recover.
Its as if they brought the same down force and tire problems from last year back with them.
Passion is an empty word, and has nothing to do with it.

BMWs problem is they are a bunch on engineers that mess too much about.
In the last three years, they have had really fast and reliable cars, but they never capitalized on this. They could never set the car up properly (how many times have the drivers complained of a lack of balance ? ) and they have had a very poor pit/fuel strategy.
The only way to close a stupid question is to give a smart answer

Kriss
Kriss

vasia wrote:It seems to me BMW has been relying too much on their supercomputer and has not been fast enough or clever enough to adapt to these new rules. Being clever with the new rules requires human ingenuity, not a supercomputer.
=D> This are real words, it's true, and all about BMW Sauber F1 Team, IMHO too.
Same problem was in Honda Racing in 2007.

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

vasia wrote:It seems to me BMW has been relying too much on their supercomputer and has not been fast enough or clever enough to adapt to these new rules. Being clever with the new rules requires human ingenuity, not a supercomputer.
Quite possible.

They maybe jumped into detailed simulations too early (because they could with their big computer), rather than explore more ideas (approximately) at the conceptual design phase knowing that they would have less iterations to get it right later on.

PNSD
PNSD

Its difficult. With thier computer they had the perfect opportunity to explore the various concepts then from that decide what to test in the wind-tunnel and to further develop on the computer...

edit - tbh I just think they have taken a far too conservative approach to the regulations. I mean, if we all imagined a 2009 car before we saw them, then the BMW is probably the closest to what we thought in our minds.

WhiteBlue

I have confidence that they will come back. Six weeks ago the situation was reversed with regard to McLaren. Onother six weeks down the road it can be the other way round again.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

ringo

what changes are we expecting in the body panels? It will be interesting if we see a narrow nose and a ddd.
For Sure!!

axle
axle

ringo wrote:what changes are we expecting in the body panels? It will be interesting if we see a narrow nose and a ddd.
They have stated that the sidepods will be changed, nose, front wing, and probably a new Diffuser.
- Axle

Slife
Slife

I thought it just only a new underfloor, coupled with some new wings (both front and back), and some new sidepods.

But it seems the car won't be lighter.

Anyway, hope their new front wing looks better then the old one. :)

Fil

ringo wrote:what changes are we expecting in the body panels? It will be interesting if we see a narrow nose and a ddd.
our wishes seemingly will be granted!

Words from Willy Rampf,

"The nose section, more deeply undercut sidepods and the rear wing are all totally new," Rampf said. "Added to which, modifications have also been made to the front wing, engine cover and underbody."

can't wait to see what the nose job is gonna look like!
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

zgred

axle wrote: Image

Can we expect smaller inlets?
Or just different shape due to more undercut in the sidepods?

scarbs
scarbs

The inlet is clearly much smaller and higher which suggests far more undercutting. The wedge shape (KERS cooling inlets) ahead of the sidepod used to be bonded to the side of the chassis, as I can’t see it on the stripped car, we can expect it not to reappear.

repaf1

New Rear wing + Engine Cover

wesley123
wesley123

The first F1 team to copy the Acura 'quillars', also there seem to be vertical fins on there with a small plane in between, probably this generates more downforce under jaw, just like the shark fins.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Callum

I wonder if the wing endplates go to the ground.

Bob Brown

wesley123 wrote:The first F1 team to copy the Acura 'quillars', also there seem to be vertical fins on there with a small plane in between, probably this generates more downforce under jaw, just like the shark fins.
mini rear wing in the middle.......very very odd. Wonder if the rear wing will stall.