Do you know what would make F1 better?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Chaparral

Re: Do you know what would make F1 better?

Group 7 Can Am rules work for me - take out the second seat requirement and leave everything 'free form' as per the rest of the 'guidelines' and let Jim Hall & Gordon Murray loose :D :D heaven on a stick :D
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs - there's also the negative side' - Hunter S Thompson

timbo
timbo

Chaparral wrote:Group 7 Can Am rules work for me - take out the second seat requirement and leave everything 'free form' as per the rest of the 'guidelines' and let Jim Hall & Gordon Murray loose :D :D heaven on a stick :D
Very, very true, I just only can't remember why that series lasted only 8 years :roll:

Well, that was sort of smart-ass joke

G-Rock
G-Rock

I think that they should put longitudinal grooves in the tires to improve passing like they did in 1998. Less grip in corners = lower exit speeds and more opportunities on the straightaway.
--------------------------------------------------------

Chaparral

timbo wrote:
Chaparral wrote:Group 7 Can Am rules work for me - take out the second seat requirement and leave everything 'free form' as per the rest of the 'guidelines' and let Jim Hall & Gordon Murray loose :D :D heaven on a stick :D
Very, very true, I just only can't remember why that series lasted only 8 years :roll:

:lol: same reason as F1 has gotten out of control Timbo - money - Porsche came in and spent a squillion dollars on the 917/10 and 917/30 to hijack the series - basically they outspent the competition.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs - there's also the negative side' - Hunter S Thompson

timbo
timbo

Chaparral wrote:
timbo wrote:

:lol: same reason as F1 has gotten out of control Timbo - money - Porsche came in and spent a squillion dollars on the 917/10 and 917/30 to hijack the series - basically they outspent the competition.
Right, but remember, F1 is still UNDER control. Last year we had one of the tightest grids EVER in the history of F1, every team (except SA) scored and 9 out of 10 (well, 11) were on podium.
With non-ristricted regulation it is much less possible as the biggest and fattest is much more likely to outspend anyone else, as performance return is much more linear.

xpensive
xpensive

The demise of CanAm had a few more reasons than that actually. One was the "fuel-crisis", which made SCCA to do a PC knee-jerk and limit the fuel-load stopping the tubos, another was that McLaren considered it less fun when they didn't win every race. Finally, the loss of sponsor TurtleWax minimized the once so generous prize-money.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Scania
Scania

only limet bugget, no other. teams can use any engine or motor

modbaraban
modbaraban

Scania wrote:only limet bugget, no other.
Do you really believe that's possible?

Conceptual
Conceptual

modbaraban wrote:
Scania wrote:only limet bugget, no other.
Do you really believe that's possible?
Make the team show up with recipts?

Metar

And then, who polices stuff like "Dallara just got $10m and a scale F2010 from Marlboro, and sold it back to us, Ferrari, for a ninepence"?

Chaparral

Timbo wrote: Right, but remember, F1 is still UNDER control. Last year we had one of the tightest grids EVER in the history of F1, every team (except SA) scored and 9 out of 10 (well, 11) were on podium.
With non-ristricted regulation it is much less possible as the biggest and fattest is much more likely to outspend anyone else, as performance return is much more linear.
Well I dont agree its under control in the true sense - its a bit like the music industry which I know well - its self regulated and when a crunch comes they 'adjust' to present a prettier picture. Id be very surprised if the so-called cost cuts dont evaporate very quickly and teams continue to 'bend' the rules in the name of speed - its always been the same. If you got rid of the manufacturers yes you may have a chance of containing costs a great deal. :)

Chaparral

xpensive wrote:The demise of CanAm had a few more reasons than that actually. One was the "fuel-crisis", which made SCCA to do a PC knee-jerk and limit the fuel-load stopping the tubos, another was that McLaren considered it less fun when they didn't win every race. Finally, the loss of sponsor TurtleWax minimized the once so generous prize-money.
Well I dont know mate - but yes the 70's fuel crisis definitely pretty much killed it along with the Porsche hijack via the turbo flat 4 - they tried a revised series with full bodied F5000 cars but the 'spirit' of the original series had gone. Maybe instead they should have not allowed turbo's persae and left it naturally aspirated and free form design - whenever you tinker with rules and make allowances for parity it invariably screws up - the same with F1 - ok we have a parity series now with 'spec' power plants which Ive found appalling in the last decade - its conceived and manipulated for 'the show' - I dont care about 'the show' nor the closeness of the racing I want to see the best car designer and the best driver and I dont care if the spread between 1st and last is 10 laps - show me what you can do! :)

xpensive
xpensive

Actually, Porche was not first with a turbo engine in CanAm, the McKee MkVII had a turbocharged big-block Oldsmobile V8 running already in 1967. Besides, the Offy-4 cyl turbo had been established in USAC for years. What Porche did was merely making the turbo-concept driveable on a road-circuit, but the throttle-lag of the flat-12 was still terrible.
Sometimes, I honestly wish that I was born twenty earlier.

Chaparral

xpensive wrote:Actually, Porche was not first with a turbo engine in CanAm, the McKee MkVII had a turbocharged big-block Oldsmobile V8 running already in 1967. Besides, the Offy-4 cyl turbo had been established in USAC for years. What Porche did was merely making the turbo-concept driveable on a road-circuit, but the throttle-lag of the flat-12 was still terrible.
Sometimes, I honestly wish that I was born twenty earlier.
No you dont wish you had been born earlier never do that - let me tell you at my age expensive and Im only 54 :lol:

Im aware of the Mckee and the whole Can Am era - I have a friend who was married to Oscar Kovaleski who basically did every Can Am apart from 2 races in the original 4 year series driving Mclarens and we compare notes as weve done with Jan Mclaren, JIm Hall etc etc - the Mckee was a pig to drive btw. I think what the relevant point is - dont mess with a successful formulae keep it static but free form and keep manufacturers out thats all. :)

xpensive
xpensive

Right, Oskar Kovaleski, the pole with or without a pole. Of course you have read Pete Lyons book? On the McKee turbo, Joe Leonard drove the thing on a few occations in late 1969 and was not very impressed to put it politely.

Regarding the manufacturers in F1, that's something I wish could be uninvented and confined to endurance racing, the way it used to be.