Do you know what would make F1 better?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
enkidu
enkidu

Re: Do you know what would make F1 better?

I actually thought this KERS systems would make F1 interesting again... I don't feel its enough just on the rear wheels. I want it on front wheels and to extract energy from the manifolds!

Chaparral

xpensive wrote:Right, Oskar Kovaleski, the pole with or without a pole. Of course you have read Pete Lyons book? On the McKee turbo, Joe Leonard drove the thing on a few occations in late 1969 and was not very impressed to put it politely.

Regarding the manufacturers in F1, that's something I wish could be uninvented and confined to endurance racing, the way it used to be.
Yep Pete Lyons is the guru of Can Am - Ive had a dialogue with him also just chasing some info on a Can Am dvd project - in theory that 8 years 66-74 was the pinnacle of free form design and performance - its something that F1 should be getting back to - its sad that Gordon Murray couldnt be bothered in this era (and those are his words) in designing a F1 car - he occupies his time working on a road car...................

Enkidu - KERS - its a joke really - its no different to a 'push to pass' in other formulae forget the 'supposed' relevance to road tech - all contrived to alter a parity formulae or make a boring formulae (more exciting) and which curtail any engineering or design enginuity which may make something slightly interesting - F1 is truly a load of bollocks - a series that misses in so many areas these days - sadly
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs - there's also the negative side' - Hunter S Thompson

xpensive
xpensive

Right, perhaps a push-to-pass extra 1000 Rpm for 6 seconds per lap would be more cost-efficient?
400 kJ per lap is still less than 2% of the mechanical energy produced by the engine anyway.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Conceptual
Conceptual

Is the 2009 RPM limit 17k or 18k?

Miguel
Miguel

18k, so that a 1k increase in rpm, assuming torque is constant (heck, I'm a physicist, I either assume things are constant or spherical), corresponds to a 5.6% increase in power. Assuming a base power of 740 HP (it's somewhat less, I know), this is a push to pass of 40 HP.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

xpensive
xpensive

So limit the Rpm to 17000, 700 Hp is still plenty, in order to conserve the engines and give the cars a 2000 Rpm push-to-pass, there's your 80 KERS-Hp at virtually no extra cost.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Conceptual
Conceptual

xpensive wrote:So limit the Rpm to 17000, 700 Hp is still plenty, in order to conserve the engines and give the cars a 2000 Rpm push-to-pass, there's your 80 KERS-Hp at virtually no extra cost.
Except for engine life, and with only having 8 for the entire season, it would be pretty self limiting, so no need for restrictions on usage. A car may use it ALOT in a single race, but may blow his shot at making all 8 last the entire season.