Force India VJM02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.

Will the VJM02 improve the teams constructors standings compared to '08?

Poll ended at 15 Mar 2009, 22:22

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes: 88

Spencifer_Murphy

Re: Force India VJM02

I'm really quite impressed. It doesn't actually look much like the pics I saw in the magazine (sorry btw I can't link to them!) but it is different, and I like that. I also like the livery, MUCH better than last year's.

Cannot wait for the new season!
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

axle
axle

Scarbs' technical breakdown is now live.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73500
- Axle

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

FIF1 VJM-02 Diffuser:

McLaren MP4-24 Comparison:

axle
axle

I would expect this to be an exact copy due to the fact McLaren had to get the entire rear of the chassis modified.

The fact the diffuser is the same is not a shock.
- Axle

Miguel
Miguel

I don't know what you think, but to me same diffuser + same chassis + same suspension = good expected performance. Okay, it may not equal McLaren, but it won't be 2s off the pace. Most likely less than 1s.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

axle
axle

Miguel wrote:I don't know what you think, but to me same diffuser + same chassis + same suspension = good expected performance. Okay, it may not equal McLaren, but it won't be 2s off the pace. Most likely less than 1s.
Agreed - I think they'll be closer than that TBH.
- Axle

ISLAMATRON

axle wrote:
Miguel wrote:I don't know what you think, but to me same diffuser + same chassis + same suspension = good expected performance. Okay, it may not equal McLaren, but it won't be 2s off the pace. Most likely less than 1s.
Not with those 2 drivers... and they still have to set it up... but Macca might be helpin them with that too.

They were foolish not to snap up Paul Di Resta

axle
axle

ISLAMATRON wrote:
axle wrote:
Not with those 2 drivers... and they still have to set it up... but Macca might be helpin them with that too.

They were foolish not to snap up Paul Di Resta
But, 1 wet race and Sutil might even win...how interesting would that be :)
- Axle

ISLAMATRON

axle wrote:But, 1 wet race and Sutil might even win...how interesting would that be :)
Sutil is a bit overrated... he got lucky to be in that position to get hit from behind By KIMI... he caught the yellow at the right time for a 1 stopper and that put him ahead of alot of drivers who couldnt pass because it was Monaco.

Remember we did see Marcus Winklehock leading a wet race(start) too... allways have to keep things in context.

DM0407
DM0407

ISLAMATRON wrote:
axle wrote:But, 1 wet race and Sutil might even win...how interesting would that be :)
Sutil is a bit overrated... he got lucky to be in that position to get hit from behind By KIMI... he caught the yellow at the right time for a 1 stopper and that put him ahead of alot of drivers who couldnt pass because it was Monaco.

Remember we did see Marcus Winklehock leading a wet race(start) too... allways have to keep things in context.

The same could be said of Hamilton if he started his career in a Midland/Spyker/Force India. I would love to see one race where all 18 drivers use the same machinery.

wesley123
wesley123

ISLAMATRON wrote:

Yep, sutil is really overrated, especially by FI.

That guy made an enormous amount of mistakes last year, even when it wasnt needed.
Also when it was possible to come close last year they didnt do it(Silverstone, MOnza).
The ego of him is enormous too, he thinks hes an great driver or something but he cant even finsih a race normally.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ISLAMATRON

DM0407 wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:

The same could be said of Hamilton if he started his career in a Midland/Spyker/Force India. I would love to see one race where all 18 drivers use the same machinery.
Bullshit, Sutil & Hamilton were on the same Euro F3 team and Hamilton won 15 races out of 20... real talent shines thru... Alonso & Webber shined in Minardi, while Yoong and Bruni and the rest of those suckers didnt.

Spencifer_Murphy

Same chassis? It clearly isn't. There are numerous differences (shape and size of airbox & sidepod inlets to name but two). The various aerodynamic details are different (edges of centre section of FW on FIF1 has those upward sweeps for example). The diffuser, while VERY similar, is different (centre tunnel on FIF1 diffuser is wider than that on the Macca).

The car obviously shares details with the MP4-24, looking side on they share almost identical lengths, wheel bases, length of sidepods & cockpit positions. But it's not the same chassis.

But I do agree in principle, the FIF1 car, could, on paper, be close to the Mclaren in terms of outright pace. However, even if it shares the same suspension, engine, gearbox and KERS components, the packaing and implementation (and setup at races) of these components play a large part in the performance of the car, not to mention how the finer aerodynamic details may aide/hinder performance relative to one another, roll into this how the different cars may treat their tyres etc and it becomes a much more complicated story than simply "They look quite similar and have the same engine so they must be similar in terms of performance".

Note I am NOT saying they won't be that fast, and nor am I saying those who think they will be are wrong. I'm just saying that for the reasons above I personally believe it's a bit more complicated than that and I think the FIF1 will be slower than the Mclaren.

But I DO think it's going to be a big improvement on the VJM01, and (as a bit of a FIF1 fan) I really hope they do well! :)
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Spencifer_Murphy wrote: Same chassis? It clearly isn't. There are numerous differences (shape and size of airbox & sidepod inlets to name but two). ...
Those areas are considered bodywork, but the actual chassis/monocoque may be as similar as legally posible. We'll never know for sure.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Deerfield805
Deerfield805