Force India VJM02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.

Will the VJM02 improve the teams constructors standings compared to '08?

Poll ended at 15 Mar 2009, 22:22

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes: 88

Conceptual
Conceptual

Re: Force India VJM02

What I would give to be able to work with a driver to set up one of these cars....

It is a daydream of mine for sure.

xpensive
xpensive

Without looking too close at those pictures, it would only make sense if the FI chassis was a clone of McLaren's in the same way as RBR/STR, which would also explain Mike Gascoyne's hasty departure when he became redundant by this decision.
He probably had to see his own Ferrari-engined design ditched back in November.

Besides, I understand that Mallya was paid off by Mateschitz to rest his case on such matters as "cloning", correct? No conspiracy at all this time, simply common sense and a smart move from Mallya, take the money and buy a McLaren.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Miguel
Miguel

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:Same chassis? It clearly isn't. There are numerous differences [...]
Spencifer,

While I agree with you that the fine areodynamic details are key in establishing the final performance, my point was highlighted my mx_tifosi. I might however have treaded too far, and after seeing what could be an identical wheelbase, an extremely similar suspension layout and a pretty similar diffuser (here the details are way too important to judge anything, though) I assumed that the VJM02 could have the same chassis as McLaren.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

axle
axle

I can 100% assure you that it's Force India's work. The wheelbases being similar is mainly down to co-incidence. Just like how completely different cars are similar. The BMW, Williams, Ferarri, McLaren and FIF1 are all very similar (in wheelbase)...it comes down to suspension models and what the teams want to prioritise.

All the cars are similar to a degree...
- Axle

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Nope this is a clone of the basic McLaren chassis. The aero is different but the basic chassis is the same.

Areas to look at:-

Front suspension.
Height of the nose (not the tip, the whole thing).
Area where the nose joins the cockpit.
Airbox.
Wheelbase.
Exhaust Location.
Cockpit Location.

Sure sure the sidepods are a different shape, the airbox is a different shape. But it's still the McLaren chassis underneath. If you can't see that your just not understanding how it's the same car.

*waits for people to tell me the front wing is different etc.*

Ps- same chassis different aero!!

EDIT: I reckon you could even bolt the McLaren's nose to the front of that Force India and it'd fit so well it'd be race legal.

axle
axle

You are WRONG. 100%. I KNOW.
- Axle

axle
axle

As I said before, Suspension is definately influenced.
Rear layout is influenced.
But that is it. The rest is their own work, tweaked for the new powertrain.
- Axle

PNSD
PNSD

Diesel wrote:Nope this is a clone of the basic McLaren chassis. The aero is different but the basic chassis is the same.

Areas to look at:-

Front suspension.
Height of the nose (not the tip, the whole thing).
Area where the nose joins the cockpit.
Airbox.
Wheelbase.
Exhaust Location.
Cockpit Location.

Sure sure the sidepods are a different shape, the airbox is a different shape. But it's still the McLaren chassis underneath. If you can't see that your just not understanding how it's the same car.

*waits for people to tell me the front wing is different etc.*

Ps- same chassis different aero!!

EDIT: I reckon you could even bolt the McLaren's nose to the front of that Force India and it'd fit so well it'd be race legal.
What about the front suspension?

The main reason the steering arm is seperate from the upperwishbone like the Mclaren is that the nose is very high. Thats all.

Airbox? Are you joking?

The rest you mention are all similar with all the teams varying only little! Exhaust location is obvious because its the same engine, and rather than fiddle with exhausts and alter the engine properties I imagine they have kept it all the same to make it simpiler for both teams to understand any differences between the two.

Also on the engine, it has a specific weight. As does the drivetrain, and potential KERS.

The engine, and cockpit are bound to be mounted/placed in similar posistions. They are the same, they have both found the optimum weight distribution for their cars.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

The geometry, the hight of the nose, everything about the front!

Seen any other teams with who supports under the airbox?

All teams are the same varying a little? Are YOU joking? How much is a little? In F1 a little is millimeters. Centimeters are ALOT, with the cockpit locations potentially varying 20cm between some cars.

The monocoque is probably the part that is the most similar, if not the same. I still think you could fit the McLaren nose on it and it'd be race legal, or visa-versa with the Force India nose on the McLaren.

scarbs
scarbs

The VJM02 is definitely not a McLaren chassis, whilst clearly taking some cues from recent McLarens its lines are not identical in any respect.
Take the line from under the raised chassis back towards the splitter, this is different and a structural part. Thus a key sign the tubs are different.
Also, McLaren use steeply inclined front torsion bars accessed through the top of the tub, the FI torsion bars are nearer horizontal and accessed through the front bulkhead.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Nobody said identical [-X but it's clear to see the FI "designer" was sitting next to the McLaren designer during the theory exam :D

scarbs
scarbs

Diesel wrote:Nobody said identical [-X but it's clear to see the FI "designer" was sitting next to the McLaren designer during the theory exam :D
I'd be surprised that FI were able to integrate a new roll structure and steering rack placement and the resulting tub alterations in the time given since November. These changes were more likely to be Gasoynes ideas early in the design phase before he left. Red Bull reached similar conclusions without cheating at the 'theory exam'.

Roland Ehnström

Yeah, it's probably not a McLaren chassis (I tend to trust scarbs on these matters), but the general dimensions are the same, which makes sense since they are using the same engine and transmission (and KERS?). It's also interesting that even with the same basic dimensions, the bodywork and wings really are completely different.

xpensive
xpensive

First of all, define "a McLaren chassis"? As I wrote this morning, it would certainly make sense if it was sprung from the same layout, if you accept to be a McLaren B-team, why not go the whole 9 yards if you can?
The CAD-files for the tubs could be of the same origin but slightly modified, without affecting stiffness and such too much of course, before sent to different composite-shops or whatever they do.
Judging from pictures alone is always difficult, but I'm with Diesel on this.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

axle
axle

And yet the 2 people with the inside track disagree...
- Axle