2009 Testing - March (Jerez & Barcelona)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ISLAMATRON

Re: March Testing Thread 2009 (Jerez & Barcelona)

kilcoo316 wrote:
bmw fanatic wrote: it would be extremeley unfair and unpopular for them to penalise the underdogs for good ideas. dont think the other teams have a leg to stand on.
Absolutely spot on.

I could not agree more.
and what if the good ideas were outside the letter of the rules?

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

Conceptual wrote:I think that it has more to do with the lower "mid-wing" supercharging the steeper diffusor profile.
The mid-wing forms a part of the diffuser if what I *read* is correct (I haven't seen any decent photos, so cannot *really* comment with conviction). The lower surface of the mid-wing will in effect become the upper surface - the suction surface - of the diffuser.

This increases the expansion area ratio from the floor to the diffuser exit, which results in the effects scotracer has done a very, very good job of explaining.

There are also effective areas (analogous to effective profiles) to consider, and more aggressive diffuser profiles will result in yet more gains. Until of course separation, but current F1 diffusers are a good way from that.

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

ISLAMATRON wrote: and what if the good ideas were outside the letter of the rules?
They aren't.

Otherwise similar interpretations would not have been deemed legal previously.

freedom_honda

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/03/ ... theissen/

im sorry but team bosses really need to stop whinging like a little boy. They should invest on research on lighter materials, not making FIA to change the rules to fit their cars. Where have all the innovation and advancement in technology gone?

bidong
bidong

freedom_honda wrote:http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/03/ ... theissen/

im sorry but team bosses really need to stop whinging like a little boy. They should invest on research on lighter materials, not making FIA to change the rules to fit their cars. Where have all the innovation and advancement in technology gone?

I back Dr. Mario Thiessen in his suggestion of higher weight. Next year tyre blankets will not be allowed, hence it could help on heating the tires and a lot of balance issues that they are gtting from KERS. Next, F1 is about racing and partly fitness, but racing comes first. But if, to be able to step on the winner's podium, you have to lose 5-15 kg. I think the weight is starting to mess up the idea of Formula 1.

CHT
CHT

Mario Thiessen need it because BMW have invested heavily on the battery KERS system which at the moment is about 2 times heavier than the flywheel system use by Williams. However the advantage is the battery KERS is more relevant to road cars application.

twoshots
twoshots

Are there any live test updates in English? I've been checking http://directo.thef1.es/tests/ as posted earlier in the thread and having fun translating bits and pieces into English with Google's translator. Although I may learn some Spanish by the end of the week... :)

mattclinch

Jenson breaks the 1:18 barrier with a 1:17.844

axle
axle

And the Williams is just behind...
.1º 18 Jenson Button Brawn GP 00:01'17''844 15
.2º 9 Nico Rosberg Williams 00:01'18''071 00:00'00''227 10
.3º 1 Lewis Hamilton McLaren 00:01'19''144 00:00'01''300 15
.4º 6 Nelson Piquet Jr Renault 00:01'19''750 00:00'01''906 23

I'm starting to believe Williams can be a force this year.
- Axle

geordie racer
geordie racer

Jensen has just done an 11 lap run running mid 18's. He set an 18.6 on 2nd lap of the run.

Hamilton did a 15 lap run and barely dipped below 1:20. Translated "theF1" described it as "hellishly fast"! seems about right! Come on Brawn
"I can't imagine what kind of problem Senna has. I imagine it must be some sort of grip problem" The one and only... Murray Walker

natef1
natef1

McLaren back to their old tricks

vall
vall

Macca improved a bit, but from the paint one can say that they still have severe problems and the new parts again did not work quite as expected?

twoshots
twoshots

The improvement appears to similar across all teams so could just be the track getting faster. The differences between teams seem to fairly steady so far.

It would be interesting to see the 'after' pic for that run. I'm intrigued by this new floor that, to date, seems to be under performing.

vall
vall

do I se correctly that the corners of the floor are curved up? Especially, on the front side of the cut. Is that legal? Isn't the floor supposed to be flat?

mcdenife
mcdenife

yes, underneath
Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regards to matters requiring thought. The less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them; while on the other hand, to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgement upon anything new. - Galileo..

The noblest of dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.