Coolest racing quote?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Coolest racing quote?

Two gems in this one... "They are just frickin ridiculous!" and "Is it coz i'z black? That's what Ali G would say!"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RteXh2Z_aps[/youtube]

The first quote, "fricken ridiculous" is from a Kanye West song:
"so appalled"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JztZETJ4SaQ

The second quote is from Ali G...

Really a new generation of drivers these.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Tufty
Tufty

Giblet wrote:It's not a racing quote per se, but a great automotive one.

My grandfather had a friend, well, since he is still alive he may still have this friend, who owned(s) a Rolls Royce.

The owner was also a mechanic that did all his own work on his cars. When the rear axle of the car broke, he ordered a new one from RR. When the axle arrived weeks later, with no bill, he wrote a letter explaining how he had not received the bill, and knowing it was not going to be inexpensive, wanted to get it taken care right away.

Some time later he received a letter from Rolls Royce, signed on company letterhead by the president of the company:

"Rolls Royce axles don't break."
My great-grandad had a similar experience when his broke down while he was on holiday on the continent. I don't know what the problem was that time, but he got the answer "It's a Rolls-Royce. They don't break down" when he asked where the bill was.
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars, thinking "where the hell is the ceiling?!"

strad

...”Some guys in Formula One, well, to me, they’re not racing drivers, they drive racing cars, that’s all. They’re doing half a job and in that case I wonder why they do it at all.”
G.V.
Enzo Ferrari, about how he signed Gilles...
" ...and when they presented me with this tiny Canadian, this miniscule bundle of nerves, I instantly recognized in him the physique of the great Nuvolari and I said to myself, `let's give him a try.'"
Enzo Ferrari, after Gilles death
"He left us because of something incomprehensible. His fatality has deprived us of a great champion, one that I loved very very much.

People used to say that one day he'll quit Ferrari but I never believed it because Gilles and I had formed such an affection for each other we were like father and son.

My past is scarred with grief ...father, mother, brother, sister, wife ...my life is full of sad memories. I look back and I see my loved ones ...and among my loved ones I see the face of this great man: Gilles Villeneuve."
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

Not a quote but an interesting F1 story....
. Then there was the time at Reims in 1958 when Moss thought the weather had changed.
“I was standing beneath a tree outside the pub at Thillois, where we all tended to stay, when I felt moisture and assumed it had started to rain,” Moss recalled. It was only when he looked up that he spied Hawthorn poised precariously in the tree, urinating on him.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

"You know the risks, you accept them. If a man can't look at danger and still go on, man has stopped living. If the worst ever happens – then it means simply that I've been asked to pay the bill for the happiness of my life – without a moment's regret."
Graham Hill
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

"To race is to live. But those who
died while racing knew, perhaps,
how to live more than all others."
~ Juan Fangio
Sir Stirling Moss

Jeffsvilleusa

“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”

-Ernest Hemingway
Box! Box!

strad

Jeffsvilleusa wrote:“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”

-Ernest Hemingway
Oh that it was still true.
Sir Stirling Moss

Mr Alcatraz

strad wrote:
Jeffsvilleusa wrote:“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”

-Ernest Hemingway
Oh that it was still true.
He left one out:
#4) blowing ones own brains out with a full length 12 gauge. :lol:

IMO It never was true, to say nothing of the fact that "Papa" was an egotistical idiot, and had absolutely no sense of fair play.
Not surprising one of his daughters blew herself away as well.
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

red748
red748

Brundle commentating....

'His driving is so bad, he couldn't drive sheep'.

About a chase.....
'He's close enough to smell the shampoo Alesi advertises'.

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

red748 wrote:Brundle commentating....

'His driving is so bad, he couldn't drive sheep'.
Talking about himself again was it? :lol:

Jeffsvilleusa

"I can't drive any slower!"

-Hamilton, Valencia '11
Box! Box!

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

"How long before this driver thread gets locked?"
-Driver.

mkeRed
mkeRed

Here's my favorite. Setup is Carroll Smith, Graham Hill in italics.
No one, absolutely no one, is proof against panic. More than 20 years ago, the late Graham Hill, twice world champion racing driver and one of the most expert and experienced drivers alive, stuffed one of our Ford GT40s into an earthen bank at Le Mans, doing considerable damage. When I asked him what happened he replied. 'I went into the corner a little too fast, realized it, called upon my legendary skill and years of experience, panicked, locked up the brakes and slid into the bloody bank - sorry!'"
-Carroll Smith

Caito
Caito

Jeffsvilleusa wrote:"I can't drive any slower!"

-Hamilton, Valencia '11

And a couple of laps later

"I can't go any faster" or something like that when he was asked to push :p
Come back 747, we miss you!!