FIA introduces £30m budget cap

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
kensaundm31
kensaundm31

Re: FIA introduces £30m budget cap

Surely a top team could turn this to their advantage by creating a B-team and using their abilty for unlimited testing.

Mclaren have probably got 30 mil in their vending machines at Paragon.

donskar
donskar

WhiteBlue wrote:The solution to one set of rules is quite simple. The rich teams decide to pocket a huge profit and join the budget cap club.

But if they stay with the present rules it is no problem either. The adjustments between classes will have to be made on a per race basis. The FIA can simply run a rolling data base of all lap times of the two classes and adjust the handicap or advantage on a dayly basis. So no huge performance gap between the classes can develop.

You are simply left with two classes of which one will have the chance to make huge profits and win the championship. The other will have just the chance to win and spend it all.
The fallacy of your thinking is highlighted by your frequent use of "simple" and "simply." No, it is NOT simple. Think it through, or read other posts more carefully and with an open mind.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

donskar
donskar

You cannot have a sport with one potential winner and have two seperate rules to get to that point. Look at 2006 when STR had the V10s - no matter what happened everyone bitched about them until mid season when the V8s finally overtook on pure pace. And then you have the SEAT diesels in WTCC kicking everything's arse because the rules are slightly more favourable.

Governing body meddling to make things "equal" never works. One set of rules for all.
Agree completely. It appears we could end up with a 2-level F1. That goes against every thing F1 has always represented.

donskar
donskar

But Mosley also allows that drivers, along with other key personnel such as chief designers and team principals, could be shareholders in the teams they work for and could be paid dividends. So there may be pay cuts for the likes of Raikkonen and Hamilton, but the scale is hard to estimate.
Absurd. "Kimi, instead of 20 million, how about we pay you 1 million and a piece of the team?"

"Adrian, yes, we do have to cut your development budget in half, and lay off half you staff, and cut your salary in half, but just think of the creative freedom!"

Talent goes where the money is. This is a great day for IndyCar.

ISLAMATRON

donskar, you are crazy if you think iRL has money.

Conceptual
Conceptual

ISLAMATRON wrote:donskar, you are crazy if you think iRL has money.
I think he meant the "New" Indycar rules that should hit in 2011.

If they are more favorable than the F1 rules, we may just see a mass exodus of talent from F1 into a sport where they can actually compete, and not have Bernie and Max and the Stewards determine championships outside of the racetrack.

And in the US, do not rule out a return of Tobacco sponsorship. Right now, big tobacco holds the lionshare of unused advertising dollars.

I'm pretty positive that if the unconstitutional banning of Tobacco adverts were removed, we would see a VERY well funded race series in the US.

And I agree with Bernie a bit. $30M is too low. Better to be $50M-$65M so as to maintain the R&D for these machines.

ISLAMATRON

watch and see... IRL will(I think they have already) DELAY THEIR RULES CHANGES AND ADOPT WHATEVER FORMULA THAT F1 will... that is every indication I am hearing from everybody I know in that industry.

donskar
donskar

Thank you conceptual.

islamatron, I think conceptual has clearly pointed out which of us is "crazy."

Please engage brain before putting fingers to keys. We are all, IMHO, passionate about F1, and we have strongly held opinions. That's what makes this forum interesting and entertaining. But there is no place here and no excuse for personal insults

Conceptual
Conceptual

ISLAMATRON wrote:watch and see... IRL will(I think they have already) DELAY THEIR RULES CHANGES AND ADOPT WHATEVER FORMULA THAT F1 will... that is every indication I am hearing from everybody I know in that industry.
I will watch, but I sincerely doubt that Tony George and Company would submit to foreign rule (F1 regulations/FIA).

ISLAMATRON

donskar wrote:Thank you conceptual.

islamatron, I think conceptual has clearly pointed out which of us is "crazy."

Please engage brain before putting fingers to keys. We are all, IMHO, passionate about F1, and we have strongly held opinions. That's what makes this forum interesting and entertaining. But there is no place here and no excuse for personal insults
no personal attack intended... i apologize. but the irl teams dont have any money

Scotracer
Scotracer

The entire thing is ruining my chances of ever working in F1 - what a sad time to be a graduate engineer :roll:
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

PNSD
PNSD

Scotracer wrote:The entire thing is ruining my chances of ever working in F1 - what a sad time to be a graduate engineer :roll:
Ditto!

I think to avoid coming out of uni is such a time if I can afford another course is in order lol!

Scotracer
Scotracer

PNSD wrote:
Scotracer wrote:The entire thing is ruining my chances of ever working in F1 - what a sad time to be a graduate engineer :roll:
Ditto!

I think to avoid coming out of uni is such a time if I can afford another course is in order lol!
My choices for this year:

- Go travel the world with a friend (very favourable!)
- Do an MSc in Race Car Aerodynamics (although money is an issue)

Hmm.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

meves
meves

Get a place on an MSc, defer for a year and go travelling, mind you by the time you finish you may find that Mr E and Mr M have managed to get the championship down to everyone in a Ford Focus with 20 grand to spend at demon tweaks!

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Lawyers, sometimes I wonder how the world would be without them. Max is a lawyer, as well as many other things. What I have read of his proposal is nothing more than an attempt into manipulating all the teams. It appears Max has submitted a proposal that appears technical, but is in practice very political. It definitely undermines all the "big" teams who are willing to spend whatever it takes to win. And any team that buys into the 30 mil cap is subject to intense financial scrutiny by the FIA. Very intense. By definition that rules out major corporations who believe they have a right to protect their financial position.
It's all about power and control folks, and Max wants it. Imagine if this scheme ever came to reality. The wealthy and "spend whatever it takes to win" teams will see newcomers, regardless of how good their car is, be immedialy given the ability to compete with the big boys. And if and when one of these new 30 mil teams win, the big boys cannot complain because Max's reply would be, "well, if you had become part of this 30 mil team scheme, you would not have this problem". And it would force the decision makers in the big teams to seriously consider accepting Max's 30 mil scheme. Or just drop out because any 30 mil team can beat them, and that's a hard pill for the auditors to swallow. Currenly it's very difficult for any team to justify spending 200 mil on F1, and it would become almost impossible when a team with a budget of 30 mil can compete against them on a consistent basis. This would break the back of FOTA.
I don't know the exact terms of the financial agreements between Bernie and the teams, but at present I'm under the impression that revenues from Bernie would completely offset the 30 mil budget. Amazing, that completely removes any argument by any team for more revenue from Bernie.
Max wants to help his buddy Bernie, and destroy FOTA. This is his instrument.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.