Flywheel or Battery KERS?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Chaparral

Re: Flywheel or Battery KERS?

timbo wrote:
Chaparral wrote:Why not a flywheel/capacitor arrangement then?
I believe batteries are more convenient. Capacitors may generate huge current on discharge that potentially is more dangerous.
Possibly very dangerous in the wrong situation Timbo but they are more efficient than batteries thats for sure in storage of the charge and more advantageous weight wise - the discharge just needs regulation - I can only speak from personal experience in the electrical industry I was in back in the 70's - a bit old school but nothing has changed that much. My question would be why has KERS been bought into this whole game - Im just not sure exactly what they are hoping to achieve with it all out of this - I hear yes its part of the 'green' philosophy and road car development etc etc etc - to be honest is that what its about - crikeys if they wanted to go purely green then they would go hydrogen power - where the only waste is water - seems just another F1 talking point to me with no relevance. :|
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs - there's also the negative side' - Hunter S Thompson

alelanza
alelanza

Chaparral wrote: crikeys if they wanted to go purely green then they would go hydrogen power - where the only waste is water
That'd heavily depend on where the hydrogen is coming from
ISLAMATRON wrote: The efficiency of the MGU coupled with a flywheel or battery storage unit is higher than the ICE
You know i've been looking for data on this subject, do you have any? Mainly stuff regarding the various efficiencies of energy conversion for each of these systems. TIA.
Alejandro L.

PlatinumZealot

There is one thing unclear to me about the Williams Magnetically loaded composite flywheel.MLC Flywheel

I know the flywheel itself is a motor/generator..

But they did not mention the power source of it.. i think it uses another motor/generator (along with some capacitors?) attached to the engine to power it up.. correct?

I was just pondering wild thoughts:

If there was a street use MLC flywheel; it will not be limited in terms of charge (until the disk tears apart by centripetal force and hoop stress :lol: ) and there is no 6.5 second rule so imagine the potential Mass and Energy storage of this wheel.

Also unlike Formula one, street cars drive very slow or at a standstill in city traffic so there is less kinetic energy produced during each period of braking.

Also, Unlike a battery with a max voltage; Don't you need a higher voltage to spin a motor/Flywheel faster and faster? That means To add more energy into the MLC Flywheel, don't you need additional voltage everytime?

Hence is there need of some Transformer or cascade system? (analogous to the CVT gearbox)
That in the case of intermittent Low speed braking you can just gather those small amounts of energy and ramp up the voltage each time and pulse them in to spin the MLC faster. If not attempts to charge it could end up discharging it :wtf:

???
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

pipex
pipex

alelanza wrote: You know i've been looking for data on this subject, do you have any? Mainly stuff regarding the various efficiencies of energy conversion for each of these systems. TIA.
I don't have solid facts but expect 80-90% round trip efficiency or better.
"We will have to wait and see".

alelanza
alelanza

pipex wrote:
alelanza wrote: You know i've been looking for data on this subject, do you have any? Mainly stuff regarding the various efficiencies of energy conversion for each of these systems. TIA.
I don't have solid facts but expect 80-90% round trip efficiency or better.
Thanks! so that'd be kinetic>electric>chemical and back?
Alejandro L.