luck to win WDC?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
vall
vall

luck to win WDC?

I searched the forum and could not find similar topic (if already discussed, please delete it). So, to become WDC one certainly need skills, brain, fast and reliable car, but as in any sport a little bit a luck. So here is the question: how many times do you thick luck has played a critical role to determine the WDC? I understand that this is not a technical question, but some may want to discus it anyway.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Re: luck to win WDC?

42 times
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

xpensive
xpensive

Probably easier to say in which luck did NOT play a critical role. 1992 springs to mind.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Kester
Kester

Luck wasn't really involved it any of Schumi's Ferrari wins.

5ar
5ar

in most casses there is no luck, it's all about skill & know-how

Kester
Kester

Lewis won with luck last year, it's hard to argue against that.

mattclinch

every single time. luck is good or bad fortune - that can mean good fortune that your team produced a far superior car, or bad fortune for your opposition.

to say that luck did or did not play a part in a WDC is not understanding the word luck. michael schumacher was lucky he didn't break his legs at the start of 2002 so that he could dominate.

i think your question needs to be "how many times did the world championship hang on a single particularly lucky or unlucky moment?"

vall
vall

I think your question needs to be "how many times did the world championship hang on a single particularly lucky or unlucky moment?"
exactly, thanks for the clarification. Sorry for not being precise.

2006 - FIA banned the Renault mass-dumper and it looked like MS would win. But then the engine of the red car blew up. Lucky moment for Alosno, though everything would have been sovles long ago, if FIA didn't man the dumper.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Wow, there are so many I just can't easily recall most. But here's just a few good examples.

The 1986 Formula One World Championship went right down-to-the-wire in Adelaide, Australia for the 1986 Australian Grand Prix with Prost, Piquet and Mansell all still in contention for the title. After aiming for a third place finish which would guarantee him the title, Mansell would narrowly miss out on winning it after his left-rear tyre exploded in spectacular fashion on the main straight with only 19 laps of the race to go.

The 1979 Dutch Grand Prix was a Formula One race held on 26 August 1979 at Zandvoort.
Arnoux put the Renault on pole but the slow start of the turbo allowed Jones to break free and the cars of Arnoux, Regazzoni, Jabouille, and Villeneuve to fight for second. Arnoux and Regazzoni collided eliminating the Williams on the spot. Arnoux only lasted to the end of the lap as he limped back to the pits. Scheckter fell to last place on the first lap and began the task of working through the field. Villeneuve, who made it through the first lap ahead of Jabouille, passed Jones at Tarzan on lap 11. He gave the lead back to Jones when he spun on lap 47. On lap 51, just after passing the pits, Villeneuve's left rear tyre exploded causing him to spin. He regained control to begin one of the wildest laps in history. He drove an entire lap on two tyres, the right front was in the air and the left rear was shredding rubber and sparking with the pavement. Reaction was mixed. It was either an act of the ultimate competitor not wanting to give up or an irresponsible, emotional decision. Either way he was out as his suspension was too damaged to rejoin the race. Jones finished first giving him his third consecutive and Williams their fourth consecutive victory. However, Scheckter worked his way up to finish second and due to Jones' poor performance in the first half of the season, the Ferrari driver only needed 4 more points to ensure a Ferrari would win the driver's title.
Villeneuve could have won the World Championship by beating Scheckter at the Italian Grand Prix, but chose to follow team orders and finish behind him, ending his own championship challenge. The pair finished first and second in the championship, with Scheckter beating Villeneuve by just four points. But for that wheel, Villeneuve might have been leading Scheckter going into the Italian GP, and team orders may have been different.

I've been closely following F1 since the late 60's, and the excitement and drama never cease. This kind of stuff happens all the time, and I love it.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Racehound
Racehound

Ha ha ha ....hey Kester...unless you count Austria 04? when Barrichello forgot how to press the accelerator pedal!!!!!!! #:) :lol: i mean, that WAS lucky for Schumi.....#:)