F1 Bars in New York City?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
jwielage
jwielage

F1 Bars in New York City?

It has come to my attention that the Australian GP and qualifying will be on around 1 AM on Saturday and Sunday mornings next weekend. Seeing as how most of European and Asian the races are on between 4 and 7 in the morning I thought this would be a cool opportunity to watch the race at a sports bar/pub.

Do any of you know of a good bar to watch F1 in New York City? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so" - Mark Twain

jon-mullen

Re: F1 Bars in New York City?

Good luck dude, I'm sorry I can't help you. I watched last year's after closing the sports bar where I worked (in PA). It was ideal: projection screen (literally, not the TV) and free draft beer.

I'd show up somewhere with a bunch of TVs way early, get dinner, START TIPPING. Don't wait until you have to ask them to put SpeedTV on to start tipping. They're going to be pissed from dealing with the NCAA basketball fans all day, and will not be in the mood to grant special favors without some cash incentive. Plus they're New Yorkers, who are ^*#%ers in my experience.

Or you could try the yacht club.
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

Germanengineering

There's an F1 meetup group that meets in NYC.

http://www.meetup.com/formula1NYC/
People don't understand that it was maybe my biggest pleasure to drive an F1 car when it's wet. - Alain Prost

jddh1

jon-mullen wrote:Plus they're New Yorkers, who are ^*#%ers in my experience.
[-X [-X
What did New Yorkers ever do to you?

mep

Ah great Idea to ask here in the forum for a bar.
I have a similar problem, just that I need a bar in Paris.
I will be there from the 28.03 till the 5.04 so I will miss two races If I can't find something.
The problem is that these races are very early in the morning so it could be really hard.

So is anyone here from Paris or does anyone know where I can watch the races?

jddh1

I'm gonna call Nevada Smiths in NYC. Usually they show football matches from the early hours in the morning, so I'm hoping they'd stay open late enough for some dedicated fans to watch the race. I do get Speed at home, and it's nice on a 42inch plasma, but it's way better when watching it at the pub, imo.

ISLAMATRON

jddh1 wrote:I'm gonna call Nevada Smiths in NYC. Usually they show football matches from the early hours in the morning, so I'm hoping they'd stay open late enough for some dedicated fans to watch the race. I do get Speed at home, and it's nice on a 42inch plasma, but it's way better when watching it at the pub, imo.
Plus you get live timing and scoring on the computer...

jddh1

ISLAMATRON wrote:
jddh1 wrote:I'm gonna call Nevada Smiths in NYC. Usually they show football matches from the early hours in the morning, so I'm hoping they'd stay open late enough for some dedicated fans to watch the race. I do get Speed at home, and it's nice on a 42inch plasma, but it's way better when watching it at the pub, imo.
Plus you get live timing and scoring on the computer...
I did follow a race that way once at home, but I did not enjoy it as much. I'd rather have ppl around to chat with than follow the splits of, say, Sutil.

ISLAMATRON

jddh1 wrote:I did follow a race that way once at home, but I did not enjoy it as much. I'd rather have ppl around to chat with than follow the splits of, say, Sutil.
I like it cause you get to look deeper into the "race within the race" get to see how the different strategies unfold (2 stop vs 3) and also laptimes in wet races for a driver who gambled on slick on a drying track or so.... very interesting. Sutil's times are of least importance.

MAybe having people to chat with during the race is more enjoyable for tifosi, but most of them infuriate me with their partisan outlook of the races.

jddh1

ISLAMATRON wrote:
jddh1 wrote:I did follow a race that way once at home, but I did not enjoy it as much. I'd rather have ppl around to chat with than follow the splits of, say, Sutil.
I like it cause you get to look deeper into the "race within the race" get to see how the different strategies unfold (2 stop vs 3) and also laptimes in wet races for a driver who gambled on slick on a drying track or so.... very interesting. Sutil's times are of least importance.

MAybe having people to chat with during the race is more enjoyable for tifosi, but most of them infuriate me with their partisan outlook of the races.
LOL
We just like to have fun. Although the perfect set up for me is in a bar with one large screen showing the race, and the other showing the live-timing. But if I have to choose between the two, I'd rather be in a pub. And in a pub you don't just have the Tifosi. It's fun to mix it up with some Macca fans or the occasional Force India fans sometimes, all in a fun and friendly way.

ISLAMATRON

jddh1 wrote:or the occasional Force India fans sometimes
they have fans?

jon-mullen

jddh1 wrote:
jon-mullen wrote:Plus they're New Yorkers, who are ^*#%ers in my experience.
[-X [-X
What did New Yorkers ever do to you?
Sorry jd, it's a gut reaction from NFC East rivalries (Eagles fan). You should hear what we say about Dallas!!

I haven't had the pleasure of watching a GP with another person who really follows it, only ever with my roommates while I (excitedly) explain what's going on. I imagine watching the race with for instance a Lewis-fanboy would be a little irritating in the case of last year's Spa for instance (with the steward's decisions and everything) but I think I'd generally be glad to have another person to talk shop with.

Generally I trust the on-screen graphics, Varsha, Hobbs, and especially Matchett to figure out strategies and how the pit stops will cycle. It's typically easy to figure out who has a shot at winning without live timing and scoring.

Would I rather be in a pub? It's a 50/50, depending how I'm feeling. Would I rather be drinking? Always.
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

Germanengineering

Just look at the Meetup I posted.
People don't understand that it was maybe my biggest pleasure to drive an F1 car when it's wet. - Alain Prost

tk421

If anyone is ever in or near St. Louis, Missouri, there is a great pub called Llywellyn's in Webster Groves that shows all the races. Oh, by the way, I play traditional Irish music there too! (shameless promotion there! :lol: )
Best regards. I guess this explains why I'm not at my post!