stable or ever changing rules?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
vall
vall

stable or ever changing rules?

I was wondering what would be best for F1 over next few years: stable rules or each year you change the rules so that the team have challenges?

Stable rules will close up the gap between the teams. If current rules work and the aero efficiency drops by 50%, a closely matched grid (equalized engines) will provide more overtaking. I was watching on Internet over the weekend some old races from 80s - 90s, and Jesus, there were a lot of overtaking back then. I guess because the aerodynamics was not that important.

Spencifer_Murphy

Re: stable or ever changing rules?

Personally I think stable rules will be key, with fine tuning if something cleary is amiss.

Changing the rules will add to cost and that, in the current climate is undesirable and counterintuitive to the FIA's cost cutting measures.

In addition stable rules as you rightly point out, allow for the gap between teams to close up, offering close racing, which when coupled with these new "easy-2-follow" technical regulations (I'll reserve judgement of how well these really work until early in the mid-season) should prove for some exciting racing.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

ISLAMATRON

Stable rules over a five year period with big rles changes every 5 years or so... maybe 10 years between engine formula changes.

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

Stability, all the way... By far the best way to keep costs down.
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

ISLAMATRON

then you end up with cheaper than F1, but still pretty expensive 1960's era technology like NASCAR.

Spencifer_Murphy

Yeh, NASCAR currently uses 50 year old technology...sure.

Sability is indeed a good thing, and a key point to keeping the costs down.

While I agree with this in principle I do think the rules will need tweaking from time to time, just to keep the designers in check, although I'd like to see some technical freedom.

Like ISLAMATRON said, stbility for 5 years or so, then a change.

Although I wounld't make drastic changes ever 5 years, the every 5 year changes, in my opinion, should be those tweaks I was reffering to.

nae
nae

+1 on the stability front
when eddie jordans team where in contention for wins it was after a good few
years of stable rules, so it defiantly closes up the field.

it struck me today that had F1 been football and with all the rule changes
enacted over the years we would all be watching rugby or hockey or shinty or
any other field based game with posts and a pitch and after the new changes we will
be cheering on premier division volleyball or net ball

upside is if max goes much further then it will be beach volley ball, not a great sport but plenty talent in the wimens teams!

+1 on the not sure if the new rules will have the desired effect
and pretty certain i'll be watching a different 'premier' motor sport for my petrol head viewing pleasures after this season (not WRC either)
..?

ISLAMATRON

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:Yeh, NASCAR currently uses 50 year old technology...sure.
Live rear axles are 1950's technology, so almost 60 year old technology, my mistake.

nae
nae

ISLAMATRON wrote:
Spencifer_Murphy wrote:Yeh, NASCAR currently uses 50 year old technology...sure.
Live rear axles are 1950's technology, so almost 60 year old technology, my mistake.
dont forget humans they are as old as the hills tech wise

nascar is not the premier technological motor sport its a business
..?

ISLAMATRON

nae wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:
dont forget humans they are as old as the hills tech wise

nascar is not the premier technological motor sport its a business
And run pretty well as that, but if I want to watch business as entertainment I'd watch Mad money on CNBC, not NASCAR.

Spencifer_Murphy

ISLAMATRON wrote:
And there I was thinking I was reffering to a whole car...silly me. Clearly one example of old technology overides all that. If that's the case why is the current generation of Corvette considered to be the best handling of its breed even though it uses the same suspension as on a silvercross pram?!

If we're going to reffer to technology as old just because it was FIRST used a long time ago then we might as well reffer to F1 as stoneage...

...after all it uses the WHEEL...and we all know how old tech that is.

jon-mullen

Can't the rules be stable in respect to the fact that they're always changing?

Does that blow your mind?

(also F1 and NASCAR both run on fossil fuels, they're 90 million years old!)
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

ISLAMATRON

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:
And there I was thinking I was reffering to a whole car...silly me. Clearly one example of old technology overides all that. If that's the case why is the current generation of Corvette considered to be the best handling of its breed even though it uses the same suspension as on a silvercross pram?!

If we're going to reffer to technology as old just because it was FIRST used a long time ago then we might as well reffer to F1 as stoneage...

...after all it uses the WHEEL...and we all know how old tech that is.
HA, HA good try, the corvette C6 is independent rear suspension, as is the C5 if I remember correctly, going back to 1997.

Basically I meant they use cutting edge technology to improve upon 1960's era technology. But they did take a huge leap forward with the COT.

Dont forget the pushrod engines.

Spencifer_Murphy

hehe, it was a good try...I didn't say it wasn't independent suspension...I sed it had the same suspension as a silvercross pram...i.e leaf springs.

ISLAMATRON

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:hehe, it was a good try...I didn't say it wasn't independent suspension...I sed it had the same suspension as a silvercross pram...i.e leaf springs.
no leaf springs since 97 i think.... what the hell is a pram? lemme check.

HA Ha, here I am thinking it is some old skool British car and its a baby stroller!

hmm it actually still does use a leaf spring in a independent rear setup, interesting. But its still newer tech than nascar.
Last edited by ISLAMATRON on 23 Mar 2009, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.