stable or ever changing rules?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Spencifer_Murphy

Re: stable or ever changing rules?

that's a silvercross pram :D ...pram is another word for what I believe the Americans call a "Babystroller".
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

Spencifer_Murphy

I feel I should drag this thread back on topic...

...in my view the rules need to be changed or tweaked periodically ebcause eventually the designers wil start spending huge sums of money on avenues of development that will derive minimal benefit.

But I don't feel they should be changed too radically because (usually) only the biggest teams with the largest budgets will cope with the huge changes.

ISLAMATRON

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:But I don't feel they should be changed too radically because (usually) only the biggest teams with the largest budgets will cope with the huge changes.
Do you feel that to be the case this year?

RBR's solutions seem ingenious while BGP's entry seems dominant, McLaren seem to be struggling, or is this just an aberration.

vall
vall

one problem I see if rules stay stable is that after a couple of years there will be no big challenges for the engineers. The technology will reach a saturation level where you end up spending most of the resources on things with minor effect. Ideal would be stable rules, but not too restrictive so that the engineers will have the freedom develop new technologies. I am not sure how to do that, though, if possible at all.

Spencifer_Murphy

ISLAMATRON wrote:
Spencifer_Murphy wrote:But I don't feel they should be changed too radically because (usually) only the biggest teams with the largest budgets will cope with the huge changes.
Do you feel that to be the case this year?

RBR's solutions seem ingenious while BGP's entry seems dominant, McLaren seem to be struggling, or is this just an aberration.

No not this year, that's why I said usually, thought I'd cover my back. As an extreme example:
in 1988 they made some minor changes to the turbo regs ahead of new non-turbo regs for 1989...Mclaren won 15 of the 16 raes.
in 1961 they introduced the 1.5litre engine rule, and Ferrari, who already had such a powerplant dominated.

On the otherhand:
1983 ground effects were banned...season was pretty good from wat I've read (I was to be born 4 years later so I wouldn't know from personal experience lol)

Conceptual
Conceptual

Doesn't this bring us to the "Anything goes for under $65M Euros/Year" regulations?

It would change constantly, have no restrictions, and the large teams could not out-spend the smaller teams to get an advantage...

Actually, even if F1 does NOT take this route, maybe Max should comission some other series with this simple regulation.

It would probably bring the fans one hell of a show!

Spencifer_Murphy

Sounds like a good idea to me. Not sure I'd like it personally in F1, (ground efects would be back, turbos, active suspension, TC, LC, FTS Breaks, ABS, two way telemetry...generally too much driver aids and too much speed) the FIA will then legislate against ground effects and turbos because the're too fast, and the rest will be outlawed because of "the driver not being involved"

Then the FIA will legislate against tall spindly wings, and moveable aero on safety grounds, the cars will then be stuck with grooved tyres and they'll make them last for a whole race, but only for one season before they realise it was a stupid idea and switch back to allowing tyre changes the following year. Te cars will still be consistered too fast and the FIA will insist in 2.4l V8's insted of 3.0l V10's which had become the norm since:
A) they previously in sisted on regulating the engines only to 3.0l V10's
B) point A came aout after they banned 1.5L Turbos

Eventually the cars will be considered to be too hard to overtake in, so some moron with no aero experience will suggest splitting the rear wing in two (this was probably though u while the pain of a whip bluured proper brain function), once it was made clear that this idea too was crap they'll insist on having funny looking rear wings & big snow ploughs on the front, because the problems with overtaking couldn't possibly be due, in part, to the fact that the circuits are all so littered with chicanes they're aren't enough straights to slipstream on!

It all sounds rather familar :wink:

While I'd love to see a series like you suggest conceptual, (here's 65m to go racing with, let your mind go crazy and see what you can come up with), I can just see the FIA ruining the whole concept by legislation, exactly the opposite to what that whole "The only rule is a buget" system would stand for.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Great post Spencifer.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

nae
nae

goto say i like that idea
65m go racing

i would imagine a few simple rules would define it
standard wheel sizes
limit to number of movable wings 25% or so
no driver aids
max width and length
min weight (say 500 kilos inc driver)
etc

could be interesting

but then again with the max and bernie show most probably dull
..?

andartop
andartop

I've expressed this opinion on numerous threads so far: STABLE RULES are necessary for the survival of the sport AND for attracting new sponsors.. Anyone who doubts that could learn a lot from the WRC experiment...
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

Spencifer_Murphy

Yep, I like the 65m go racing idea, and while I agree it could be implemented with the minimal of legislation I'll bet my last penny that the FIA won't let it be.