Driver numbers

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Conceptual
Conceptual

Driver numbers

Just checking through the driver number changes, and noticed that there isn't a number 13.

Has F1 always been this superstitious? Or is that a recent trend?

Thanks!

Rob W

Re: Driver numbers

It's been like for as long as I can remember... I think.

Conceptual
Conceptual

In a sport that is defined by men manipulating the laws of physics, and challenging nature head on, I find it hillarious that there would be the "No Number 13" superstition in full effect.

Whatever, it doesn't matter to the racing, so it does not mean anything.

Thanks for the reply!

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

No13 was banned by the french in the 20s as far as I remember it.

The last person to use it was Davina Galica (sp) in the late 70s.

You will see no number 13 in hotels and tall buildings too...

Strange bunch these human beings eh?
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Conceptual
Conceptual

CMSMJ1 wrote:No13 was banned by the french in the 20s as far as I remember it.

The last person to use it was Davina Galica (sp) in the late 70s.

You will see no number 13 in hotels and tall buildings too...

Strange bunch these human beings eh?
They deffinately never cease to amaze with their idiocy, that is for sure!

virtuso13

Hi guys , i'm new to the board !!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can see a 13 in my username :wink:
I consider it pretty lucky for me.

Have you heard about ghost car 42 ????? Very interesting story.

In 1963 the first ever Japanese GP was held at Suzuka . The driver favored to win was Masao Asano .His choise of number baffeled the crowd - 42 .
For 42 was the number most Japanese tried to avoid . The arabic numerals for 42 transalate as shi ni which is realated to the Japanese word shingu(to die) .

Asano dismissed it as superstition . At the end of the first lap he took the lead , but at the final bend his car went out of control and crashed . He died .

The Japanese Auto Federation banned the use of the number 42 on any car racing in Japan .

Next year Japan's second GP was being held at Suzuka . During the race it was discovered that a car with umber 42 had done 8 of the 25 laps . No one could describe the car or the driver . It disappeared just as it arrived
We give dogs the time we can spare , space we can spare , and love we can spare . In return dogs give us their all . Its the best deal man has ever made .

walter
walter

Conceptual wrote:Just checking through the driver number changes, and noticed that there isn't a number 13.

Has F1 always been this superstitious? Or is that a recent trend?

Thanks!
according to the official entry list Mark Webber gets number 14... but who are we fooling here, he is 13 in actuality! :mrgreen: Its going to be another unlucky season for Webber.

shotzski

They skipped not only the 13, but also 18. How come? Was there a typo?
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/3/9043.html

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

shotzski wrote:They skipped not only the 13, but also 18. How come? Was there a typo?
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/3/9043.html

Sutil is no 18 on that list?
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

shotzski

They edited it already, sorry :oops:

natef1
natef1

virtuso13 wrote: Have you heard about ghost car 42 ????? Very interesting story.

In 1963 the first ever Japanese GP was held at Suzuka . The driver favored to win was Masao Asano .His choise of number baffeled the crowd - 42 .
For 42 was the number most Japanese tried to avoid . The arabic numerals for 42 transalate as shi ni which is realated to the Japanese word shingu(to die) .

The Japanese Auto Federation banned the use of the number 42 on any car racing in Japan .

Next year Japan's second GP was being held at Suzuka . During the race it was discovered that a car with umber 42 had done 8 of the 25 laps . No one could describe the car or the driver . It disappeared just as it arrived
That's interesting since 42 is also the answer to life, the universe and everything :)

zgred

Funy thing in Italy, 13 is considered to be a lucky number while 17 is associated with bad luck.
So, I am sorry Kazuki Nakajima – You are not able to win at Monza this year :]

andartop
andartop

Mark Webber racing with the number 13 might have been enough to cause the end of the universe.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

Conceptual
Conceptual

natef1 wrote:
virtuso13 wrote: Have you heard about ghost car 42 ????? Very interesting story.

That's interesting since 42 is also the answer to life, the universe and everything :)
Great movie! And such a simple answer to such a complex question... :lol:

roost89
roost89

How are the numbers dealt out?
I thought that it was from the constructors championship. With the exception of #1 which goes to the reigning champion.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green