Wow, that's a bit too much from mr. B

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
timbo
timbo

Wow, that's a bit too much from mr. B

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/03/ ... t-avoided/

"FOTA-schmota" and "poor John"... Wow, the man seems to be thinking too much about himself.

meves
meves

Re: Wow, that's a bit too much from mr. B

Bernie is getting a little out of hand, he is an excellent business man but one day as he says (below) someone will pull the trigger and last time it happened we ended up with the American fiasco....
If they come here with a gun and hold it to my head, they had better be sure they can pull the trigger - and they should make sure it's got bullets in it because if they miss, they better watch out.

Spencifer_Murphy

Bernie's got a forked tongue...he reckons they wouldn't go thru with the threat...very big of him to say that AFTER the problem has been resolved isn't it? Like hell he'd risk having two of the biggest names not on the grid...he'd loose too much money. The little twerp acts like he's king, but in rality he's just got a case of sour grapes because, for a change, somebody else got him by the short and curlies for a while.

When its an oppinion, nobody listenes to Bernie anymore. You can almost garantee that anything that comes out of that mouth has more spin on it than a David Beckham freekick, either for person gain/protection or purely to spice up the show. He's gaining greed, loosing grip with his increasing age, and he doesn't like it. Oh well too bad. I hear that man complain more than Rafa Benitez am! WHAH. :roll:

Like anybody really cares what he thinks anymore (unless they're trying to secure a GP race venue), sticks and stones Bernie, sticks and stones.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

RH1300S
RH1300S

:lol: I love it.

Honestly - whatever you think of Bernie (whether he's right or wrong about this). It's hilarious - balls of steel and he knows it.

ISLAMATRON

Honestly if the teams werent so bitch they would get more of the loot and not has to put up with his foolishness.

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

If they come here with a gun and hold it to my head, they had better be sure they can pull the trigger - and they should make sure it's got bullets in it because if they miss, they better watch out.
Bernie better watch out - the stupid little dwarf is on shakey ground.

Do we all watch F1 to see Mosley & Eccelstone prance about like cocks?

No - we go to watch the cars. If FOTA decided to up sticks and create a series (and call it say, GP1 for instance) - are we gonna watch the standard forumla 2 (or GP2) cars that would be drafted in run around, or are we all gonna watch the GP1 cars? (which we all know are the real F1 cars)

If FOTA got their --- together, they could really threaten a breakaway series - then everything Bernie has is worthless. I'm surprised they haven't made alot more noises in this direction.

xpensive
xpensive

Funny story, but I doubt if events played out exactly that way though.

Obviously, MrE has a witty spin-doctor to make up quotes, give him that.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Bernie is obligated to deliver a race for TV consumption, and if enough teams do not show up, Bernie is on the hook. As well, Bernie's seemingly very expensive divorce must give him a bad case of gas.
Personally, I feel zero sympathy for this tyrant.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Chaparral

kilcoo316 wrote:
Bernie better watch out - the stupid little dwarf is on shakey ground.

Do we all watch F1 to see Mosley & Eccelstone prance about like cocks?

No - we go to watch the cars. If FOTA decided to up sticks and create a series (and call it say, GP1 for instance) - are we gonna watch the standard forumla 2 (or GP2) cars that would be drafted in run around, or are we all gonna watch the GP1 cars? (which we all know are the real F1 cars)

If FOTA got their --- together, they could really threaten a breakaway series - then everything Bernie has is worthless. I'm surprised they haven't made alot more noises in this direction.
I believe Ecclestone owns the commercial copyright naming rights to GP1 as he does for GP2
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs - there's also the negative side' - Hunter S Thompson

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

Chaparral wrote:I believe Ecclestone owns the commercial copyright naming rights to GP1 as he does for GP2
Fine - call it CART then - would do no harm in the American market.

It wouldn't be a big deal to find a name. :)

monkeyboy1976
monkeyboy1976

There is a lot more going on behind the scenes than we can imagine.
Bernie and Max are in the process of trying to divide and conquer FOTA. Any actions or little titbits of news that suggest FOTA members doing stuff independent of the group will be magnified.
FOM has the infrastructure and commercial set up (including penalty clauses for going elsewhere no doubt) with the media and circiuts to ensure a breakaway would not be a patch on the current F1.
I'll just be turning my eyes and watching the racing. :x

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

monkeyboy1976 wrote:FOM has the infrastructure and commercial set up* with the media and circiuts to ensure a breakaway would not be a patch on the current F1.

*including penalty clauses for going elsewhere no doubt

I extracted that bit above.

How can they have penalty clauses for a circuit staging a different racing category on a different weekend?

How can they have penalty clauses with the media for covering other sporting categories?

Sorry, but both those arguments are legally impossible without total exclusivity to the circuit in the contract - which for obvious reasons - never happens. For a start - how would you define some racing categories as different to others - with which ones being no-go areas?

More general:

If FOTA were to run a championship on the core circuits, like:

1. Melbourne (and/or Adelaide),
2. Imola,
3. Catalunya (and/or Valencia and/or Jerez),
4. Monaco,
5. Silverstone (and/or Brands Hatch and/or Donington),
6. Magny-Cours,
7. Nurburgring (and/or Hockenheim),
8. Monza,
9. Spa,
10. Hungaroring,
11. Canada,
12. Suzuka,
13. Interlargos,
14. Indy (and/or Road America and/or Laguna Seca)
15. Zandvoort (maybe?)

With options of the soul-less circuits like Sepang, Bejing, Turkey, Bahrain etc

That is at least 15 (going up to 23) races.

With more realistic charges for the circuit owners and for the tv contracts, I'd bet they'd make it work very, very quickly as all would be keen to stick it up Bernie's arse!

Conceptual
Conceptual

I think the best would be for the FOTA to take their 50% savings from this season, and apply it to starting up the FOTA-GP series.

I'm sure that the tracks would be MORE THAN HAPPY to cancel their arrangements with Bernie, since they would actually MAKE money instead of putting it all in Bernie's pocket.

And with all of this "cost cutting" stuff going on, when is Max gonna start pounding on Bernie to lower his cut?

jwielage
jwielage

If FOTA were to run a championship on the core circuits, like:

1. Melbourne (and/or Adelaide),
2. Imola,
3. Catalunya (and/or Valencia and/or Jerez),
4. Monaco,
5. Silverstone (and/or Brands Hatch and/or Donington),
6. Magny-Cours,
7. Nurburgring (and/or Hockenheim),
8. Monza,
9. Spa,
10. Hungaroring,
11. Canada,
12. Suzuka,
13. Interlargos,
14. Indy (and/or Road America and/or Laguna Seca)
15. Zandvoort (maybe?)

With options of the soul-less circuits like Sepang, Bejing, Turkey, Bahrain etc

That is at least 15 (going up to 23) races.
What about Montreal, I'm sure they would be more than happy to piss Bernie off after the BS he has pulled with them.

I agree, I think this is something that the FOTA could make work. Besides if you strip the teams away FOM they will have lost a lot of their power and substantialy all of their future revenue stream.
“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so" - Mark Twain

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

I'd be surprised if the teams aren't already well down the road of negotiating a break away formula after all the s*** that they have been through recently with the FIAsco and Bernie.

I'd love to watch it!

And like others have said here, I'm sure the tracks would like to make some money instead of being bankcrupted by Bernie!
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners