oz gp re runs on bbci

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
nae
nae

oz gp re runs on bbci

anyone else see , and watching the bbci re runs of Australian gp's
channel 301
last night there was the 86 championships final and now its the 93/4 one

biggest impression is that murray walker is a knob!
..?

nae
nae

Re: oz gp re runs on bbci

94 then , just had the schumaker / hill insident
..?

axle
axle

nae wrote:biggest impression is that murray walker is a knob!
OMG. You have no idea. I take it you never watched BBC's coverage with Mr. Walker? He's a national treasure and most brits would, me included, kill you on the spot for making such a remark.

Seriously...if you want people to be nice to you don't insult Murray Walker BNT*.

*British National Treasure.
- Axle

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

Murray is a total living legend.. Can't believe anyone would diss him like that! Shocking!

Perhaps haters should look at his wikipedia entry before making negative comments...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murray_Walker
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

natef1
natef1

Don't diss Murray. Part of what made him so special was those occasions where he did make mistakes and issued one of his hilarious 'Murrayisms'. Aside from that he is a thoroughly good guy and should be treated with a touch more respect.

Anyway back on topic ; yes I've seen the extended highlights on the BBC red button, they're great to see in such detail. I understand the BBC are doing this for every Grand Prix this year, so after Australia we will get highlights of some of the older Malaysian races, etc.

Keir

nae wrote:biggest impression is that murray walker is a knob!
The door is there, please leave.

ISLAMATRON

wow, touchy over murray huh... He sure does make alot of mistakes... and his analysis of the races are very flawed... but he can be a very interesting character.
Last edited by ISLAMATRON on 25 Mar 2009, 15:16, edited 1 time in total.

axle
axle

Character is not defined by getting facts and figures right.

As a commentator he is a legend. People who don't agree, will not have grown up with him, and that's not their fault, but yes it's a touchy subject.

I would plead that we all steer well clear of slating the man on a forum that features a lot of Murray fans.
- Axle

Conceptual
Conceptual

I have seen a few races with Murray, and I must say that I don't find anything spectacular in comparison to any other commentator that I have seen.

I have no complaints about what I have seen of him, but I haven't seen anything that would deify him either.

He is a legendary character of F1's history no doubt, but I fail to see what makes him any more special than any other commentators...

If someone has a particular race that they would reccomend that would show this man's greatness, I would be more than happy to find it and watch.

Please, give an example!
Last edited by Conceptual on 25 Mar 2009, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.

ISLAMATRON

Why is he considered a legend? In my experience listening to him he makes far too many mistakes to be considered so... but then again who considers commentators to be legends in any way?

axle
axle

ISLAMATRON wrote:Why is he considered a legend? In my experience listening to him he makes far too many mistakes to be considered so... but then again who considers commentators to be legends in any way?
The BBC watching public from the 80's/90's deemed him to be a legend.

If you don't know why you won't get it. Move along.
- Axle

Conceptual
Conceptual

ISLAMATRON wrote:Why is he considered a legend? In my experience listening to him he makes far too many mistakes to be considered so... but then again who considers commentators to be legends in any way?
He is considered a legend because he was there for a long time doing race commentary. Like Lou Holtz would be a legend at Notre Dame...

axle
axle

Length of service is only a partial answer.
- Axle

ISLAMATRON

axle wrote:
The BBC watching public from the 80's/90's deemed him to be a legend.

If you don't know why you won't get it. Move along.
Just because you cant come up with a proper answer to a valid question gives you no right to disrespect me... did the man revolutionize the way the sport was covered in any way? Honestly all I see when I watch races covered by him are the many mistakes he made which draw attention away from the actual racing.

I would not be so disrespectful enuff to call the man a knob, but pointing out the continuous stream of mistakes from his commentary is fair game.

ISLAMATRON

Conceptual wrote:
He is considered a legend because he was there for a long time doing race commentary. Like Lou Holtz would be a legend at Notre Dame...
Lou Holtz won national championships as a Head coach.... not a good comparison.