oz gp re runs on bbci

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Giblet
Giblet

Re: oz gp re runs on bbci

You want a good comparison?

Don Cherry.

For the most part, the man is a doofus. However, his passion for Hockey, and his unapologetic bias for sportsmen from his home country, while remaining respectful to all the other competitors (except for the Russians when they first came to the NHL but that's another story) does very little but good for the sport.

When I was a kid and had not yet discovered F1, I was over at my friends place who has English parents. I knew what racing cars were, and I knew that there was racing cars that only the English watched. That was all I knew, wrong or not.

We were off in the other room playing with toys or something, but to this day I can still remember the voice of Murary Walker getting more excited then any man should about a gearbox. He makes _everything_ a spectacle.

Murray has no special commentating skills, except the passion that is required in spades. Years later when I got into F1 I remembered Murray Walker, and it was this experience when I was young that helped. The man can scream into a mic and only sounds better.

Murray's passion, much like your bitterness, can be contagious.

So, ISLAMATRON, what he did that was special was pull many F1 fans into the fold that were not there before.

I guarantee that if Martin Brundle was commentating, I wouldn't have remembered that 1st race.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

ISLAMATRON

I dont have much experience with Don Cherry, is he the guy with the really loud & crazy suits on the Hockey programs? As well as being very passionate & exciting about the the sport does he provide good analysis and play by play?

It cannot be denied that Murray made a great many mistakes while commentating, but I can understand the affection towards him in regards to his enthusiasm and passion, but to say that he was bigger than the sport and pulled in all those fans when F1 could not have done it may be a tad bit stretching it.

For my tastes, Bob Varsha, although somewhat more reserved, provides a much more enjoyable race viewing atmosphere, without nearly as many mistakes and without as musc bias... but to each there own. It not like I have a vote in regards to who gets into the F1 commentators Hall of Fame.

Just an aside, if you want exciting commentary watch a race in Japanese, those guys go nuts in the booths.

axle
axle

ISLAMATRON wrote:It cannot be denied that Murray made a great many mistakes while commentating, but I can understand the affection towards him in regards to his enthusiasm and passion, but to say that he was bigger than the sport and pulled in all those fans when F1 could not have done it may be a tad bit stretching it.
It doesn't matter that he made mistakes (and this is the bit I expect outsiders to struggle with), it was his enthusiasm and pure joy that shone through.

He made it more interesting for the casual observer...the die hards would not have needed him per say, but that doesn't detract from the fact his work left a legacy.
- Axle

ISLAMATRON

axle wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:It cannot be denied that Murray made a great many mistakes while commentating, but I can understand the affection towards him in regards to his enthusiasm and passion, but to say that he was bigger than the sport and pulled in all those fans when F1 could not have done it may be a tad bit stretching it.
It doesn't matter that he made mistakes (and this is the bit I expect outsiders to struggle with), it was his enthusiasm and pure joy that shone through.

He made it more interesting for the casual observer...the die hards would not have needed him per say, but that doesn't detract from the fact his work left a legacy.
It does matter, but can accept that he is revered for the enthusiasm and "pure joy", ans I can respect that.

axle
axle

ISLAMATRON wrote:
axle wrote:

It does matter, but can accept that he is revered for the enthusiasm and "pure joy", ans I can respect that.
Why do the mistakes or their frequency matter?

The mistakes just add to the charm and character...
- Axle

MattF1
MattF1

Whatever you think about Murray, surely you can't deny that this clip is funny:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl-oAsDCGNA[/youtube]

ISLAMATRON

axle wrote:Why do the mistakes or their frequency matter?

Making mistakes in one profession is generally accepted? since when?

The Mistakes did not add to his charm and character, but the way he addressed and apologized for those mistakes did. Everybody makes mistakes but hearing him call out the wrong team or driver nearly every time the screen changed got annoying.

That is an outstanding clip.... and no mistakes.

axle
axle

ISLAMATRON wrote:
axle wrote:Why do the mistakes or their frequency matter?

Making mistakes in one profession is generally accepted? since when?

The Mistakes did not add to his charm and character
Then, as I tried to explain, you don't/won't get it.
- Axle

Scotracer
Scotracer

You shall die for disrespecting the Walker. :evil:
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

Giblet
Giblet

I tired to explain as well, but if someone doesn't get it they never will.

Not everything has to be quantifiable.

Freakin engineers.

What Bob Varsha makes up for in mistakes he certainly doesn't when it comes to depth. He is far better after the race then he is in it.

Steve Matchett is the only one that seems to know what is going on whike David Hobbes makes silly engine effects instead of talking about the cars half the time.

I'm just telling you that Murray DID endear more then one generation to the sport, much like Loud Suit Don Cherry.

His mistakes, some of them, did endear him to me. Like when Heinz Harold Frentzen went off, and Murray made a quip about how a lot of people expected this kind of thing from him, Martin corrected him as in the replay it was a mechanical failure that made him go off, or a pusgh from someone else, and Murray said "To Heinz Harold Frentzen, I humbly, and grovellingly apologize".

I wonder how old here everyone is. I figure that the fact I am 36 contributes to my love for MW.

Back on topic:

Speed was doing a decade prior thing for a while, showing a 10 year old race before the new one, but they wound up with the 94 season, and never did it again.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

ISLAMATRON

Its Hard for Varsha to go really in depth because they dont actually travel to the races they watch hem via live feed. Speed makes up for it by corresponding with Windsor who is on site, but unfortunatly gets lost rather often during the races.

Matchett is ok on the tech side, but he makes a handful of mistakes per weekend as well... but he seems to be the only one of the three with any understand of proper race strategy.

Hobbs and his Hobbisms are entertaining, but he doesnt have any experience in Modern F1 cars so he cant really relate... his fast lap analysis is probably mid grade... Brundell's is much better.

The 3 stooges are entertaining and informative, but with some mistakes, but not as many as the beloved by many Walker.

Scotracer
Scotracer

Murray is as much a part of F1 to us Brits as anything else - he IS F1 to us!
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

Giblet
Giblet

I just did a quick search and realized that his mistakes are half of his appeal. After reading this list it brought back vivid memories to many of these events.

And now excuse me while I interrupt myself..."

"He's obviously gone in for a wheel change. I say obviously because I can't see it."

"He is shedding buckets of adrenaline in that car."

"It's raining and the track is wet."

"...he can see him in his earphones..."

"...and there's no damage to the car... except to the car itself..."

"Alboreto into the pits and I'm going to stop the startwatch."

"There is nothing wrong with the car except that it is on fire."

"There is a man with a great Grand Prix future behind him."

Murray: "And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool."
James Hunt: "Well, that should put them out then."

Murray: "What's that? There's a body on the track!"
James Hunt: "I think that that is a piece of bodywork from someone's car."

"Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough?"

"It's not quite a curve, it's a straight actually."

"This is an interesting circuit because it has inclines, and not just up, but down as well."

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

"Tambay's hopes, which were nil before, are absolutely zero now."

"And he's lost both right front tires."

"The Benetton handling superbly as ever. Williams have worked very very hard on this car at the beginning of the season."

"The atmosphere is so tense you could cut it with a cricket stump."

"And we have had five races so far this year, Brazil, Argentina, Imola, Schumacher and Monaco."

"And Schumacher overtakes Villeneuve... oh, no he doesn't.... oh, yes he does!"

"And this is Ralf Schumacher, the youngest driver in Formula 1 at only 21 years old, and of course he is the son of twice world champion Michael!"

axle
axle

PMSL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

L.E.G.E.N.D.
- Axle

nae
nae

axle wrote: Seriously...if you want people to be nice to you don't insult Murray Walker
I watched F1 with murray commentating in my formative years right up till itv took over

i have become used to calm and rational reportage of the event over these last few years and to then watch an old race (which i watched live at the time) and have some ill informed buffoon scream 'look look' as mansels rear tyre blew, its TV ya fool i can only look. was a shock

he may be a legend but so is pol pot and hitler!

as for being liked? couldn't care when faced with irrational arguments and view points

oh yer its only an opinion
..?