Traffic Lights

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
axle
axle

Traffic Lights

Oh yes they are back...

Wonder if they've learnt their lesson enough now?
- Axle

Conceptual
Conceptual

Re: Traffic Lights

After Singapoer last year, I am sure that this is only making a return because it has been perfected.

ISLAMATRON

improved? probably... perfected? we shall see

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Although the theory of how these lights operate is remarkable, and promising to shave pit stop times, this is a prime example of how technology can go wrong. Last year a breakdown sent Massa out of the pits still with his refuelling hose, and for sure everyone at Ferrari considers this event as one of the reasons why Massa missed out on capturing the WDC.
So the people at Ferrari now feel the bugs have been worked out, and it's been cleared for race use. But I wonder how Massa feels about this layer of technology.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Spencifer_Murphy

I understand the desire they have to shave vital tenths from a pitstop, but theres an old theory...

...If it aint broke don't fix it!

There was nothing wrong with the lollipop system to begin with, and this system has caused all manner of problems for them thus far. Madness.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

The Scuderia's technical director Luca Baldisserri told the Italian newspaper La Stampa: “We have analysed the errors of 2008 and improved the system.

“Now an electronic programme will prevent the car from leaving the 'box when the fuel hose is attached.”
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Sawtooth-spike

So what about being let out into another car? which last year from memory had about 3 near misses.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

Spencifer_Murphy

Sawtooth-spike wrote:So what about being let out into another car? which last year from memory had about 3 near misses.
Eaxctly...Ferrari will be shooting themselves in the foot again with this system.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

jddh1

no we wont

we'll be aiming straight for Sutil and Hamilton, as backmarkers they will be. :lol: :lol:

jon-mullen

Are the teams allowed to alter the fuel delivery system at all?

If Ferrari can't change the sensor that tells the lights that the rig is off then I don't see how they could have possibly improved the system.

I would expect to see another one of these
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

jon-mullen

Also what is this thing from the same picture set?

Henning
Henning

That's the boom that goes over the car to supply compressed air for the wheel guys on the side of car away form the pits.

You can see it as a large black bar across the previous picture.

In the second picture, the wheel guns are not attached and the airlines have orange caps over them

jon-mullen

Oh good call, thanks.

andartop
andartop

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:
Sawtooth-spike wrote:So what about being let out into another car? which last year from memory had about 3 near misses.
Eaxctly...Ferrari will be shooting themselves in the foot again with this system.

It's all a matter of perspective. Ferrari might have had 3 near misses last year, but Hamilton had a sure good hit on Raikkonen. At least Ferrari try to train their drivers to stop or go according to the traffic light!! :lol:
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

SpookTheHamster
SpookTheHamster

jon-mullen wrote:Are the teams allowed to alter the fuel delivery system at all?

If Ferrari can't change the sensor that tells the lights that the rig is off then I don't see how they could have possibly improved the system.
You don't have to change the fuel rig to fit something like a proximity sensor to the car, that just detects the rig is nearby.

What I worry about is that with this system the Ferrari drivers would just sit with their foot on the throttle, knowing that as soon as the rig is removed the car will shoot off.
Spencifer_Murphy wrote:I understand the desire they have to shave vital tenths from a pitstop, but theres an old theory...

...If it aint broke don't fix it!

There was nothing wrong with the lollipop system to begin with, and this system has caused all manner of problems for them thus far. Madness.
There is quite a bit wrong with lollipops, drivers don't pay attention. See how many times the lollipop man twitches and the driver floors it, only to be smacked in the face with the lollipop?