Teams winning on their debut

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Re: Teams winning on their debut

Regardless of Brawn's history, I would love to see his team bag a win. That would be fantastic.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Roland Ehnström

xpensive wrote:You youngsters forget about Jody Scheckter in the 1977 Wolf. New team with a new car.
Damn, I knew that! But I mixed up Wolf with Shadow and convinced myself that I was wrong. #-o

xpensive
xpensive

As I remember things, Jody won again at Monaco and was actually challenging for the title for a while, no?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

donskar
donskar

xpensive wrote:You youngsters forget about Jody Scheckter in the 1977 Wolf. New team with a new car.
Good one, xpensive. I'm old enough to remember Wolf (vaguely) :lol: !

Seriously, I like Brawn, but the team is very much a renamed Honda (IMHO, of course!)
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

donskar
donskar

xpensive wrote:As I remember things, Jody won again at Monaco and was actually challenging for the title for a while, no?
Correct.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Belatti
Belatti

Roland Ehnström wrote:
Damn, I knew that! But I mixed up Wolf with Shadow and convinced myself that I was wrong. #-o
Yeah, Shadow and Wolf both had black painted cars :lol:

Also, Shadow won in Osterreichring with Alan Jones.

The 1977 season opener was in Argentina. Jody won also in Monaco and in Canada to finish 2nd that year, behind Lauda.

Before that, the other team winning on their debut was Mercedes Benz in 1954 with Fangio first and Karl Kling second, but was not the first race of the season (was the fourth)
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

siskue2005

Roger the knife wrote:I'm not sure that Brawn would count as a new team in comparison to the Wolf debut in 1977, it's a really just a continuation of Honda under a new name, whereas Wolf left he Willaims operation and set up their own team.
Wolf in 77 was a customer car, buying their chassis from brahbam, who were winners already