What will come after the 2.4 V8?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Scania
Scania

Re: Sensible ideas for what will happen after the 2.4 V8?

jddh1 wrote:
Scania wrote:could you explane it in simper english?
Are you asking me? If you are, well, Max "Spanky" Mosley wants a universal engine, namely "world" engine, which would power F1, WRC, GP2, and the lot.
If you follow the link you can read the story.
ya, but I'm fail in HKCEE english :lol:

Giblet
Giblet

ESPImperium wrote:My Proposals:

2 choices of engine to go for;

1) 1.9 Litre V8s limited to 21000RPM / Non Turbo / 795 BHP limited
* Weight 95KG
* 90 Degree V or 110 degree V.
The only problem here is as the Merc engine was reaching close to 21000 in testing the engineers were saying that the air going into the cylinders at that point was reaching near the speed of sound and that there was not much room for development in increasing revs. So choice one is a technological dead end dinosaur.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Dukeage
Dukeage

jddh1 wrote:They're talking about the "World" engine now.
A single spec engine for all of those series is an absolute non-starter as it would make one engine supplier too powerful.

However, a common set of engine rules between F1, F2 (A new one, not as in Super FPA), IndyCars and Le Mans with tweaks for different power levels/engine lives would be sensible - as would 1.6 turbo and 2.0 turbo sets of rules for various series. All using power limits. Capacity limits for 1.6T and 2.0T, but just some basic production similarities for F1/F2/IRL/LM in addition to F1 WCC fuel economy bonuses.

Technology sharing - in this day and age it's got to make sense, but not when you take it to extremes like Max does. The same principles should be applied to chassis as well, with a system of bolt-on kits to upgrade things between certain levels, and the ability to make WRC cars on the same production line as touring cars.

Birel99

Giblet,

That was with 2.4L (duh), with a 1.8L (or anything smaller) the air entering the engine is at a lower speed at the same RPM.

I have a 100cc kart engine that can exceed 21k all day long :D but it does not last very long :x

Raptor22
Raptor22

the next gen F1 engine should be:

1.6L Turbo charged.
any configuration but must be based on production car block.
50 000 units of engine block must be sold before block can be homologated in Motorsport.
cylinder heads are free development area.

Direct injection allowed
Diesel engines allowed
HCCI engines allowed

KERS allowed to power any wheel.

must be capable of running on 10% Biofuel.

max fuel allowed per race = 150kg (takes care of the higher energy denisty in diesel providing level playing field for gasoline cars)

wrcsti
wrcsti

Roland Ehnström wrote:Wouldn't this be rather interesting:

Rule #1: All drivers must start each race with a maximum of 150 litres of normal unleaded petrol (provided by the FIA).

Rule #2: No refuelling allowed during the race.

...and that's the complete rule-book! No restrictions on the engine at all, use whatever you want. Turbos is OK. Use KERS if you want, as much as you want. Just make sure you don't run out of fuel before the end of the race...
That sounds like a great idea in my book. but it needs some aero restrictions so the cars don't look like blobs with 4 wheels just to get through groundeffects.

Me personally I would let them make a chaice between 3.5L V10, 1.5L Turbo V4, and maybe a Turbo rotary, somewhere around 1.2L but rev limited to 22K rpm.

Scania
Scania

Raptor22 wrote:the next gen F1 engine should be:

1.6L Turbo charged.
50 000 units of engine block must be sold before block can be homologated in Motorsport.
cylinder heads are free development area.

Direct injection allowed
Diesel engines allowed
HCCI engines allowed

KERS allowed to power any wheel.

must be capable of running on 10% Biofuel.

max fuel allowed per race = 150kg (takes care of the higher energy denisty in diesel providing level playing field for gasoline cars)
& wankle engine allowed!

what is HCCI?

lucidcomms
lucidcomms

Scania wrote:
Raptor22 wrote:what is HCCI?
Homogeneous charge compression ignition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HCCI

Henning
Henning

Raptor22 wrote:the next gen F1 engine should be:
Presumably the manufacturer teams will use their own engines, but what engine do Williams/RedBull use? Anything they like? Zonda, Veyron? It would have to ocnform to the other rules though, so maybe not those examples.

riff_raff
riff_raff

Sadly, most of you fail to appreciate just how efficient a current F1 car really is.

The F1 teams each spend millions of dollars every year to design an aero configuration that produces the most downforce for the least drag. That is aero efficiency.

They also spend millions designing and building an ultra-lightweight composite chassis. That is for weight efficiency. Do you not appreciate how hard it is to produce a race car that weighs in at less than 1330 lbs?

And consider the engine designers. They design and manufacture a V8 engine that makes over 600hp, yet weighs less than 210 lbs. That is incredibly efficient. I'll bet your girlfriend weighs more than a typical F1 engine.

F1 is all about efficiency, and costs be damned!
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

xpensive
xpensive

Sorry Terry, but the aero-efficiency of any open-wheel vehicle is simply terrible.

A squared-donut would be much more efficient, correct Ciro?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

riff_raff
riff_raff

xpensive,

You're correct. Those big, spinning, rubber cylinders out there in the airstream create lots of drag. But that's the rules, and all the cars incur that same drag penalty. Before the FIA outlawed it, some engineers came up with some creative designs to reduce that drag penalty:

"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

xpensive
xpensive

This is why open-wheel racing has become an anachronism and F1-rules should be amended to something
like the 1975-80 CanAm series, which would save a whole heap of energy if it's "green" racing we want.

By the way, do you have 200 lbs girlfriends in Southern California? Never seen one on "Baywatch" though?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Dukeage
Dukeage

Yes, there is a 95kg minimum weight on F1 engines. The rules limit ballast to 2kg, but the definition of ballast could be an interesting discussion ...

paulonorcatto
paulonorcatto

First post so be nice :D

I can possibly see the engines going towards a 1.5 V4 Turbo config.

Refs limited to 16000rpm

By the time the new engine spec comes around I imagine that 20 races a season could be a possibility.

So...

5 engines to use a year

With the re-fuelling ban, obviously they will have tanks big enough to finnish a race which by then i think races will be shortened to 90 minutes max.

Unlimited KERS for all wheels.

Direct injection.

I don't really agree with the comments about F1 engines having to be like commercial ones (but to each his own) I don't think bio-fuels, electric, turbines or diesel engines etc are the future.

Also, CVT i think is a bad move, though manily for the spectacle.

However, I do think that standard unleaded fuel should be used.

Mind you, I don't agree with thse specs but I can see F1 going in this direction in the future.

One other note I would like to see the re-fuelling between qualifying and the race scrapped. Let the teams run a flying lap on just enough fuel to get back to the pits.