Seems like OWG made it right! Overtakings at Melbourne!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mulsanne
mulsanne

Re: Seems like OWG made it right! Overtakings at Melbourne!

As far as the tire rule goes. I have several points.

First and foremost, Australia is a very bizarre track and the track temp was very low. The problems teams had came from graining, and the reason for the graining was simply pushing them too hard.

You had button on the super softs at the end and he said he knew if he pushed too hard they would grain so he didn't and he didn't really have too much of a problem.

But basically, it definitely seems like it is still too early to tell whether or not there will be huge problems with the softer of the compounds at each weekend.

But another interesting issue is, what if Bridgestone just got the compound selection wrong. In the past, Medium was always the best tire, so they picked the tire which was always preffered and one two compounds softer. Suppose they had split the difference around the optimal tire. Insteaed of mediums and super softs they give hards and softs. Two tires which are not quite optimal but quite usable.

Overall, I like the wider disparity of the tires because quite frankly, in the past, the difference was practically negligable.

Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

Today was encouraging as far as OWG measures are concerned.

With most cars having the same tyres and having race pace close we could see again that even in fast corners cars were able to follow each other sufficiently close to overtake.

However balance shift is pretty obvious especially when yaw angle is introduced.

It was actually discovered by the OWG that with a yaw angle the front wing gained downforce hence resulting in the oversteer we saw today.

That's why the front wing flap was introduced but unfortunately it is not used and even in many teams even not implemented.

I also note that the braking zones distance shortened actually allow for a lot of braking overtaking.

All in one, still too early to judge but definitely encouraging.

As for the KERS the situation in interesting now, it will elvolve when/if all cars are equiped with it.

The tyre range is a simple and effective measure to bring speed differential then.

shir0

Ogami musashi wrote: <snip> However balance shift is pretty obvious especially when yaw angle is introduced.

It was actually discovered by the OWG that with a yaw angle the front wing gained downforce hence resulting in the oversteer we saw today.

That's why the front wing flap was introduced but unfortunately it is not used and even in many teams even not implemented.<snip>
If this is the case, might it be suggested, then, Ogami, that the usage of the moveable front wing flap be unrestricted to give the drivers one less thing to think about (e.g. when is the optimal time to use it just once, in a given lap)?
"Fortunately I've got a bag with dry ice in [my suit], which I put next to my balls, so at least they stay nice and cool!"- Sebastian Vettel, 2009 Malaysian GP Friday Practice.

Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

I would have rather made it automatic via sensors to keep the balance up but would have retained the twice per lap (or 4 per lap) to prevent teams from using it every time to correct any balance deficiency...well no in fact i don't care and next year if budget cap vs freedom applies moveable wings will allow many pretty exciting things.

Pingguest
Pingguest

Four drivers were interviewed by the Dutch TV and three of them said the new rules haven't changed much.

Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

Yes. The all complain about the balance. (especially glock)

The result is that in two races you saw cars following each other closer and many more overtakings even in case of lap time differences around 0,5-1 sec a lap compared to the same races last year.
It is especially flagrant in high speed corners.

So i don't pay attention that much to drivers now. They always complainn, complain in non educated terms and underrate their own overtaking actions.

Saying "i was 1 second faster than xxx and stuck behind him" is certainly not a proof that loss of downforce is the same than before..it just that you can't overtake him and mind you it happens everywhere..even in karting.

Now it is a bit to early to judge and the balance problem is definitely a problem because the time spent correcting overtseer is distance lost but wait a bit they use their front wing flap.

nudger
nudger

yep, id go along with that.
some of them just seem to have forgotten how to overtake.

Pingguest
Pingguest

Ogami musashi wrote:Yes. The all complain about the balance. (especially glock)

The result is that in two races you saw cars following each other closer and many more overtakings even in case of lap time differences around 0,5-1 sec a lap compared to the same races last year.
It is especially flagrant in high speed corners.
Well, Glock said he lost downforce and wasn't able to pass although being faster for almost 1.5-2 seconds per lap!
Now it is a bit to early to judge and the balance problem is definitely a problem because the time spent correcting overtseer is distance lost but wait a bit they use their front wing flap.
As Sam Michael said before the Australian GP, the movable flaps make the biggest difference. Not really the new wing designes.

Today, Ferrari asked Massa to make use of movable flap, because the telemetry told them Massa lost front end downforce. So far, this is the only thing I heard about the use of movable wings.

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

Ogami musashi wrote: It was actually discovered by the OWG that with a yaw angle the front wing gained downforce hence resulting in the oversteer we saw today.

That's why the front wing flap was introduced but unfortunately it is not used and even in many teams even not implemented.
I wouldn't agree with that at all to be honest.

The cars are balanced for corners, who cares if it would "understeer" down a straight?

The moveable flaps are there purely to compensate for the turbulent air off a car ahead.

I agree 100% with the point that they should be automatic though. The driver cannot be expected to manually re-trim the car through a corner.

Scotracer
Scotracer

I was surprised by the extent of the oversteer today. They really lose so much balance and stability when following a car.

The OWG found that it was a general loss of downforce last year and no particular mode was developed...now it appears to be oversteer-inducing. You can't win them all I suppose...
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

kilcoo316 wrote:
I wouldn't agree with that at all to be honest.

The cars are balanced for corners, who cares if it would "understeer" down a straight?

The moveable flaps are there purely to compensate for the turbulent air off a car ahead.

I agree 100% with the point that they should be automatic though. The driver cannot be expected to manually re-trim the car through a corner.
I think we didn't understand each other.

The yaw induced downforce hike is in the wake not in freestream.

It was obvious since the tests of the first iterations of the OWG configurations than the balance shift was pretty important and quite sensitive due to the front wing width and endplates design.

The on track result is pretty obvious both for melbourne and malaysia, typically in the wake of another car when this one was farther into the corner (thus with a yaw angle relative to the following car) they almost every time had to correct.

Timo Glock, who was the first to complain about overtaking possibilities (including the supposed late braking that would pose problems...resulting in more braking overtaking this year than in the last year's races) he said that he was too busy keeping the car in track to try out the front flap adjustement.

That's why i talked about drivers complains, the usually mix balance problems with downforce loss...and drag drop.

you have three phenomenons with modern F1 cars: There's a balance shift because the front wing and rear wing are not affected the same AND do not recover at the same rate; you have a downforce loss (up until 45% last year at 0,50m distance) and a more surprising thing is that drag can increase in some part due to heavy separation and induced drag thus resulting in less slipstream.
This latter point needs in addition to be added with the problem of wanting to reduce loss of pressure in the wake while providing a sufficient slipstream.

Drivers usually complain about the overall situation but if you think about it,the only mean in the theory of no balance shift and no drag rise to assess downforce loss would be to see the car slide which is already difficult to assess since you never have a neutral balance, Be it last year or this year the balance changes so you always have either understeer (much less this year) or overtseer.

So it is very difficult to say it. The only spontaneous measurement is the distance at which you can follow a car without being too much affected by the three phenomenons, and if balance shifts were not there and drag drop sufficient then we would already see much imporvement in overtaking because by definition a car wanting to overtake is faster thus either having more grip or needing less.

And precisely this year, cars seem to be able to follow each other into the 0,3sec and you can see in fast corners that in contrary to last year and previous years they don't get distanced.
The increase in braking overtakings is directly relevant to that fact, since they can follow each other closer they can slipstream better (and longer due to shorter braking distances).

Of course we need to wait, Of course there are still downforce loss (it was never intented to do otherwise) but as far as the two first races are concerned and, oh max mosley noticied that too, they really seem to be able to follow each other closer and there're far more overtakings.

BUT imho the balance shift would have to be cured; if you spend your time fighting the balance you can't overtake.

Pingguest
Pingguest

An interesting quote by Sebastian Vettel about the new regulations:
"Generally compared to last year you are able to follow closer, but then you lose the grip more abruptly. All of a sudden you lose all the downforce, all the grip, from the front axle. So that makes it still difficult to pass someone."

Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

Pingguest wrote:An interesting quote by Sebastian Vettel about the new regulations:
"Generally compared to last year you are able to follow closer, but then you lose the grip more abruptly. All of a sudden you lose all the downforce, all the grip, from the front axle. So that makes it still difficult to pass someone."
Am i not saying anything else but that balance is more critical this year for months? and that this is plain obvious in onboard cameras?!
The fact that you can follow closer is that you lose less downforce but balance switch is really critical..hence the front wing.

So the OWG works are for the moment quite on track verified but the problem is that front wing adjustement should be automatic. Hopefully next year CRT will be able to do that.

Scotracer
Scotracer

Ogami musashi wrote:
Pingguest wrote:An interesting quote by Sebastian Vettel about the new regulations:
Am i not saying anything else but that balance is more critical this year for months? and that this is plain obvious in onboard cameras?!
The fact that you can follow closer is that you lose less downforce but balance switch is really critical..hence the front wing.

So the OWG works are for the moment quite on track verified but the problem is that front wing adjustement should be automatic. Hopefully next year CRT will be able to do that.
It was particularly evident at Sepang where the Toyotas were all over the place following a car ahead.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

Pingguest
Pingguest

Ogami musashi wrote:

I thought the FIA wanted to get rid of driver aids?