Lewis third, Jarno given 25s penalty > Trulli 3rd, Lewis DSQ

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
jddh1

Re: Lewis third, Jarno handed 25 sec penalty

From that video, I think Hami's pass was legal. In addition to that, why didn't Vettel go in the pits when he had the chance to? When I was watching it live I was really shocked at why he stayed out in that state. I mean, his race was over, why not go in the pits and save a truck the time of dragging that car in.

Kester
Kester

So if Hamilton was apparently told by his team to let Trulli retake him (http://www.f1technical.net/news/11984), surely that puts McLaren/Hamilton at fault, and not Trulli?

axle
axle

Kester wrote:So if Hamilton was apparently told by his team to let Trulli retake him (http://www.f1technical.net/news/11984), surely that puts McLaren/Hamilton at fault, and not Trulli?
I don't think anyone was at fault, it just proves how scared McLaren are of being penalised. They should have just penalised Trulli by 1 place, not 25seconds!

It goes to show how the rules arn't at all fair and decent. Punishment not fitting the "crime".
- Axle

Spencifer_Murphy

I agree, th rules aren't allowing for any flexibility. I understand the need for a high penalty for passing under the safety car (its not safe) but in that circumstance it was clearly just a misunderstanding.

Jarno and Toyota felt that if the went off track they should be allowed by following cars to retain their position (incorrect)

and Lewis & Mclaren were scared they'll get penalised for passing Trulli (not their fault because he went off track) but still he physically passed Trulli, and they got valuable points, they didn't want to throw them away with a silly penalty. So Mclaren wrongly) told Lewis to give Trulli the place back should he look to try and regain it. (incorrectly)

in THIS circumstance, just demoting Trulli one place would be sufficient, not 25seconds!
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

The punishment should suit the crime. Trulli made a small mistake, and no one was in jeapordy. I feel very strongly that this penalty was too harsh and out of proportion to the mistake that Trulli made.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

JamesS
JamesS

The whole punishment should fit the crime thing reminds of Lewis at Spa last year ...

He was awarded exactly the same punishment (lets not get into the "was it right" debate, it was last season).

nudger
nudger

JamesS wrote:The whole punishment should fit the crime thing reminds of Lewis at Spa last year ...

He was awarded exactly the same punishment (lets not get into the "was it right" debate, it was last season).

very true...and with that in mind, what were toyota on about appealing the decision? you cant, i think we pretty much established that last year didnt we?

alelanza
alelanza

So as some of you have said, the issue lies in the rules. The fair thing to do would be put Jarno back in 4th, but what choices do the rules give the stewarts? as i recall it was the 10 sec stop and go which turns into the 25 secs he got due to being in the last 5 laps, a regular run through the pitlane (not sure what would this would have amounted to post race) and a 10 places demotion for next race. So i guess the less severe penalty would have been to do the pitlane, but can it be applied this late in the race and if so how many seconds would it amount to?
Given the SC finish of the race dropping him so many places and the rather hectic race starts we're bound to see in 09, i think a 10 place drop for next race would have been a lesser punishment. Also, although uncommon, if i was a driver next time the race ends under SC i would be sure to be right under my opponents gearbox, it may be the difference between a 1 or 2 places gain once penalties are handed out.
Alejandro L.

Paul

If I was a driver, next time the race ends under SC I would try to stick to the tarmac. :lol:

alelanza
alelanza

Paul wrote:If I was a driver, next time the race ends under SC I would try to stick to the tarmac. :lol:
lol, true. But the funny thing is the other Toyota did almost the same thing right after Jarno, anyways....
Alejandro L.

blobslosak
blobslosak

Just read this....
Hamilton could be in trouble in Malaysia

April 1, 2009 by James Allen

A story has just appeared on the Auto Motor und Sport website in Germany, which could have explosive consequences for Lewis Hamilton and McLaren this weekend.

It is written by Michael Schmidt, who is one of the most respected journalists in F1.

The gist of the article is that Lewis Hamilton may have some explaining to do to the stewards, for what he said to them in Melbourne, which led to him deposing Jarno Trulli for third place.

The story is headlined “Did Hamilton tell the truth?”.

“Possibly the exclusion of Jarno Trulli in the season opener in Melbourne must be reopened. Doubts have emerged whether the beneficiary Lewis Hamilton told the truth to the hearing.

“Trulli drove past Hamilton between the turns 4 and 5. The Toyota driver said that Hamilton so strongly deviated from the racing line that he thought Hamilton had a problem. Under these circumstances passing him would be permitted. Hamilton denied the allegation of intentionally slow driving. He changed line, because he was busy reading off the Safety Car instructions on the dashboard display.”

But after examining this, the stewards have apparently discovered that at that point in time and on the circuit, the dash display would have been cleared and there was nothing more on the display, which could have diverted Hamilton.

The story continues: “The central issue however to be gleaned is whether the team instructed Hamilton to drive intentionally slowly. Hamilton answered in the negative. However after the race the following story circulated: Hamilton is said to have told a reporter that the team told him over radio to let Trulli through again,”

The story then develops: “This contradiction brought the FIA officials to listen once again to the recordings of the radio traffic. Although there is no statement from official sources, speculation increases that the stewards from Melbourne will be reconvened in Malaysia.

“There are two scenarios. If Hamilton, from ignorance of the rules, let Trulli by, then Trulli would be given back his points and could be restored to third place. Hamilton would then be fourth. But if it should turn out that he did not tell the truth to the stewards, then there could be serious consequences, possibly exclusion from the results. Also in this case Trulli would be again third.”

It sounds like Lewis will either end up losing a point, or all of his points. If the stewards find that he misled them, he may face carrying a suspended ban over his head for a while, or worse….
Source = http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/

Anyon heard about this? Shame it is going to drag on but will be interesting to see what happens.... unless its an april fool, but I don'tthink it is.

nudger
nudger

strongly deviating from the racing line, behind the safety car? come on...if he was on the trrack, thats a nonsense argument.
i suspect he did slow down,but it would be easy enough to establish just how much, so i think its a bit of a mischievous story. anyways, toyota have dropped the appeal...not that they had grouds to make one anyways

Edit...
no soon as i say that that i read on autosprot that the fia have reopened the matter and will investigate a sepang... oh well

nae
nae

dont worry it will be fine
F1 is all about the court room appeals process
the racing is secondary

L.A. law has nothing on F1
..?

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

Typical - the off track politics are destroying the sport!

Personally I think McLaren were so scared they asked Hamilton to give Yarno the place back but they shouldnt have given Trulli the penalty he got, but then Hamilton shouldnt have got the penalty he did in Spa 2008!

nudger
nudger

jason.parker.86 wrote:Typical - the off track politics are destroying the sport!

Personally I think McLaren were so scared they asked Hamilton to give Yarno the place back but they shouldnt have given Trulli the penalty he got, but then Hamilton shouldnt have got the penalty he did in Spa 2008!
i dont think there is much doubt that mclaren told him to give the place back, but it kind of depends how h did it...if he virtually stopped as trulli says, then hamilton is in trouble. if hamilton just made it obvious he was prepared to let trulli retake if he had a mind to, by slowing some and moving off line, then that was fine. but i guess this is about what he said to the stewards more than anything now. if he really did say that he didnt let him past, then he coud be in big trouble