Lewis third, Jarno given 25s penalty > Trulli 3rd, Lewis DSQ

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
axle
axle

Re: Lewis third, Jarno handed 25 sec penalty

This isn't an April fool! It's the 2nd of April today...April Fools are 1st of April only!!!
- Axle

vall
vall

Miguel wrote:
axle wrote:
freedom_honda wrote:the stewards finally did someone right.
No denying that, it also appears that they should listen to the radio chatter before giving a virdict in the first place. After all the penalty was handed out post race.
+1. I can't believe we have open radio chatter and that the stewards didn't bother listening to it when deciding Trulli's penalty. Had it all been handled in a professional fashion, Trulli wouldn't have got a penalty and Hamilton would have got his well-deserved points.
This does not change the fact the LH lied!!!!!

Moanlower

Thats called justice. Good job FIA. =D> :lol:

Although I think the FIA should have acces to the radio conversations right away so it wouldn't take 4 days to make a decision. :roll:
Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

alexbarwell
alexbarwell

As for the poll question 'who is favourite to win Malasian GP' I need another option "Ask the FIA before the race starts". If this debacle just comes down to two different perceptions then neither driver lied and the problem is in the way the rules are applied, pretty evident from a number of shambles last year. Least damage in the public eye if the original finishing order was left standing
I am an engineer, not a conceptualist :)

Spencifer_Murphy

vall wrote:This does not change the fact the LH lied!!!!!
I've yet to see proof that Hamilton himself lied. I've also yet to see any tangible evidence to suggest why Lewis or Mclaren would do such a thing
in the first place. They already had a result (4th) which was FAR exceeding their expectations, why try to blag your way a 3rd by lying?

I think the order of events is somewhat more like this:
+ Whole weird SC events unfold
+ Lewis told to let Trulli past, he does so.
+ Trulli then told let Lewis past
+ Lewis (and also mclaren via radio comms) didn't realise they could take that position back again (after all they just gave it back) [first cock-up]
+ Mclaren lodge protest after the race realising that they could have taken the place back [first legal cock-up]
+ Lewis then says he was told to give trulli position back, something he didn't tell FIA stewards (god knows why)[2nd legal cock-up]
+ FIA then deem this to be "Eveidence prejudicial to blah blah blah"

The problem I have with this is that as yet we have not been given anthing real to go by, by the FIA. THE ONLY source that says Lewis "lied" is a German reporter. The other sources just display the FIA's official nonsence which tells us nothing really.

Its just as likely that Lewis told what he knew to be true to the stewards and this contradicted what Mclaren themselves said to the stewards. But yet again I cannot comment properly until the FIA start giving a damn about the FANS as shows us something proper!

Just saying "They supplied information..." is nonsence. Why can't we have some quotes like:

Mclaren: "Trulli past us"
Toyota: "We tried to give it back"
Lewis: "I was told nt to take it back"

er-go, clear policical rule bending by Mclaren which requires punishment. But without these facts to hand we simply cannot comment properly on this. THAT is what annoys me.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

Spencifer_Murphy

ernos5 wrote:hahahahahahahahahaha all those Hamilton supporters were raving how good he is.

:D :D :D :D :D

BAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA OWNED
What an insightful comment...unfortunately you're just wrong. The FIA's penalty does not change how well Hamilton drove in that race.

natef1
natef1

ernos5 wrote:hahahahahahahahahaha all those Hamilton supporters were raving how good he is.

:D :D :D :D :D

BAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA OWNED
It doesn't change the fact he had a very good race. He just didn't get rewarded for it.

Guys here is the Toyota team radio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OohT1HbaEF0

WhiteBlue

An incredible story. Everybody can make a mistake und develop a misconception of what he did. That happenend with Schumacher as well. Racers sometimes have that distorted feeling of reality. But the team should have cautioned him in this issue as soon as they realised he was wrong.

Kudos to Michael Schmidt and the FIA for digging it up and sorting it out. I hope that Hamilton learns something from it. He should take it on the chin and put himself into perspective the next time he finds himself in a muddled situation.

I believe that they opened up the team radio radically for this year and most of the evidence would not have been available last year. Perhaps McLaren forgot that in the heat of the moment. Anyway it is a good solution to a messy situation. Jarno will remember his podium more fondly now.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Spencifer_Murphy

I agree with you whiteblue in as much as:

A) If Mclaren/Lewis did lie/got their stories messed up call it whatever you like, they DO deserve a penalty
B) The FIA Sorted it out
C) The comments about a racer developing misguided recollections

BUT my own grievance with this issue is not the penalty, its the damned politics. You just don't see this nonsence so frequently in other sports. And its because F1 seems to be incapable of governing itslf properly...I'm beginning to wonder if George W. Bush has taken some control since leaving the White House!

I'm also annoyed because, when something like this happens, as a fan, its nice to know why, properly, in langauge that:
A) Most casual viewers understand
B) Actually tells us some evidence, not just "This is what the FIA are prepared to tell you about"

Things like this just open up doors for the casual fan to say "It's all a fix, it's no better than Boxing when the mob were involved, I'm not going to watch it anymore".

It may well be that they deserve the penalty, I won't dispute that, I have no evidence to suggest otherwise (I also have no real evidence to suggest SO either, mind!) but if a ruling like this is to happen it needs to happen quickly, and it needs to be understood by the casual viewer.

What, pray, is the point in "improving the show" with new aero regs. when you then "destroy the show" with off-track politics, which then aren't explained in full to the fans. To me it just seems incredibly foolish and counter-productive by the FIA, and annoying for me, as a fan of the Sport.

I just hope the Brawn crs aren't disqualified, that would be rediculous and would really bugger up the sports image, especially as they passed scrutineering, the average fan will just say "So why on earth did you let them race in the first place then?!" But that's for another thread.

mcdenife
mcdenife

Re: Lewis third, Jarno given 25s penalty > Trulli 3rd, Lewis DSQ

+ Mclaren lodge protest after the race realising that they could have taken the place back [first legal cock-up]
Did Mcl lodged a protest after the race? I wasnt aware and cant see why if they asked LH to give the place back in the first place.
Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regards to matters requiring thought. The less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them; while on the other hand, to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgement upon anything new. - Galileo..

The noblest of dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.

Spencifer_Murphy

mcdenife wrote:
Did Mcl lodged a protest after the race? I wasnt aware and cant see why if they asked LH to give the place back in the first place.
Well that's what I've been lead to believe from what I've read, seen and heard. But to be honest this whole thing's a bloody mess lol.

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

If I have read the reports correctly, the reason he was investigated in the first place was because his reason for slowing down and off the racing line was becuase he was reading information on his in car display from race control, but at this point in the race this information was cleared from all dispalys.

I am a LH Macca fan but in my opinion the stewards are distroying this sport. They should have just given Trulli his 3rd place back and let McLaren keep 4th!

axle
axle

jason.parker.86 wrote:If I have read the reports correctly, the reason he was investigated in the first place was because his reason for slowing down and off the racing line was becuase he was reading information on his in car display from race control, but at this point in the race this information was cleared from all dispalys.

I am a LH Macca fan but in my opinion the stewards are distroying this sport. They should have just given Trulli his 3rd place back and let McLaren keep 4th!
LH/McLaren keep 4th? After lying and cheating? No way - I'd have thrown McLaren out from Malaysia too...

<- Brit who was rooting for them last year vs. Ferrari/Massa.
Last edited by axle on 02 Apr 2009, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.
- Axle

vall
vall

Spencifer_Murphy wrote: I'm also annoyed because, when something like this happens, as a fan, its nice to know why, properly, in langauge that:
B) Actually tells us some evidence, not just "This is what the FIA are prepared to tell you about"
indeed, that would be nice. But they often do not give us all evidence!

I just listened to Toyote's radio. Truli did nothing wrong, after LH gave him the position, Truli try to give it back, but LH would not overtake him.

Is McLaren radio posted as well?

Spencifer_Murphy

vall wrote:
Spencifer_Murphy wrote: I'm also annoyed because, when something like this happens, as a fan, its nice to know why, properly, in langauge that:
indeed, that would be nice. But they often do not give us all evidence!

I just listened to Toyote's radio. Truli did nothing wrong, after LH gave him the position, Truli try to give it back, but LH would not overtake him.

Is McLaren radio posted as well?
BUT THEY SHOULD DO! lol.

I reckon there's been some big misunderstanding between Lewis & his team. I don't understand this whole "Information was cleared from screens" issue. Are the FIA trying to say that at that point the dash displays go blank...because I know that to be false.

The dash displays the revs until the engine is swicthed off for a start. It's quite plausible Lewis was looking at displays while fiddling with switches...you know that whole "Choose engine map blah blah, set blah blah, and remember to pick up debris" nonsence.
alxe wrote:LH/McLaren keep 4th? After lying and cheating? No way - I'd have thrown McLaren out from Malaysia too...
Unfortuantely we've yet to see proof they did lie and/or cheat, and even if they did, DQ'ing them at Malaysia wouldn't exactly be a punishment fitting the crime...they balled up in Australia, so they should get penalised in Australia. Anything more than that would be draconian and would bring the sport into FURTHER dispute.