Twilight racing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
alelanza
alelanza

Re: Twilight racing

Ciro Pabón wrote: So, at dusk, when encountering incoming cars with lights on, move your eyes from side to side of the road (the advice is to move the eyes in a triangle, first one side of the road, then the other, then in front of your car). If things don't move, moving your eyes has a similar effect.

I thought everybody knew that. Rosberg knows, I think.
I didn't, will test today :D
Alejandro L.

natef1
natef1

Ciro Pabón wrote:
natef1 wrote:
Ciro Pabón wrote:If you don't believe me, move your hand towards the side of your vision field until it "disappears". Then wiggle your fingers. See? There, you're watching your rod cells at work.
I tried that, it didn't seem to work. Have I gone blind? Am I blind, Ciro? :?
Well, don't move your hand past your vision field, just to the edge of it, a little less than ninety degrees to the side of your nose. Otherwise, yes, you're blind and I shouldn't post this reply because you cannot read it. 8) In that case, you could pursuit a career as steward of the race (or maybe as moderator at F1Tech ;)).
:D

I think I will be a steward. They don't have to claim responsibility for mistakes! :wink:

Ciro Pabón

natef1 wrote::D

I think I will be a steward. They don't have to claim responsibility for mistakes! :wink:
Well, everybody knows that the responsibility for their mistakes lays in their guide dogs. As for F1Technical moderators, we never make mistakes, as everybody knows.

Steward arriving to Malaysia GP: notice the dog is already ashamed
alelanza wrote:I didn't, will test today :D
Alejo, if you crash this afternoon, it's your fault. Remember: it's April's Fool day. :wink:
Ciro

TauToadmiester
TauToadmiester

FIA claim Billions of world wide viewers so why the Euro fet

I think it surprising that a race will be scheduled such to put drivers in danger simply to make it a more 'viewable' time for Europeans, when supposedly all these non Euro races are for the world spectators at large!!

Doesn't the FIA claim there are Billions of viewers each year, are they all Europeans? No Asians, no Australians, No Americans, etc just Europeans??

Being on the US west coast I 'see' nearly 'ALL' the races at an inopportune time but I do not complain, I just set my DVR with extra time to make sure I get the whole race and not lose the end! Thanks to VCRs/DVRs I do not have to be awake, and it is just as interesting!!

OTOH, Isn't it fun to get together with fellow fans at some awful hour to see a great race and drag buttocks into work the next morning looking like warmed over vomit?

I/we once got a sports bar to open early (5 am) and serve breakfast (not normal) for about 20 F1 fans to see the British GP (not shown that year on ESPN) and it was a blast!! I even got them to tape it for me from their 'wild' satellite feed!

Bernie seems to be making some very arbitrary or prejudiced decisions to be honest!

jon-mullen

What time flyaway GPs are broadcast in Europe should be totally irrelevant to what time a race starts. The Singapore GP was designed to be a night race, it worked pretty well last year and I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

For the rest there's really no reason to change them. The Malaysian GP is on at 5 am here. 5 AM! Am I supposed to go to bed early and wake up at 4:30, or have a Saturday night out and come home and watch it?!? Ben Franklin would say the former, Sam Adams the latter. This is why stateside F1 fans are hard-core. I'll wake up early this season to watch Bahrain, Spain, Monaco, Turkey, Silverstone, the Nurburgring, Hungary, Valencia, Spa, Monza, and Abu Dhabi. Do you see more than a few in that list that you'd rather not miss? I do!
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

Roland Ehnström

jon-mullen, you've got my support totally, and I'm European (sort of, I'm Swedish).

To me as a hard-core F1 fan it actually adds to the show to have to go up very early in the morning to watch the Asian races. It makes it feel more "real", more like a proper WORLD championship.

mulsanne
mulsanne

With the issues the drivers raise, it made me think of something interesting.

They changed the race time to more europeans could watch it, but with the issue of safety is it worth it?

I'll just say that I've been a huge follower of F1 since 1999 and since I live on the east coast of America that makes the majority of races take place at 7am on Sunday with races in Asia sometime between 1-3AM on saturday. But because I'm completely addicted to the racing, I watched the majority of the races live!

Even australia which started at 2am...there wasn't a chance in hell I was going to go to sleep knowing I could instead be watching what I was waiting for since november.

I guess the point I'm making is, a shift in time to benefit certain viewers ends up being a negative for other viewers. ANd while I know the europeans consist of the largest audience portion, when you start to raise issues of safety, you just have to wonder if the FIA have lost the plot (even more so than usual)