2009 engine horsepower

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
marinopc
marinopc

2009 engine horsepower

Does anyone know about the horsepower of the different engines?

At 2008 I've heard somewhere that the two-raced V8 and 19.000 rpm limited engines were about 750hp. This year only got 18.000 rpm for at least 3 races... Less power than last year?

Scotracer
Scotracer

Re: 2009 engine horsepower

2008 levels peaked around 780BHP for the Mclaren and Ferrari. For 2009 they lost around 25BHP from the peak so you get around 755BHP.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

alelanza
alelanza

What would be really interesting to know is if they lost overall horsepower. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that the loss of 'under the curve' or as some people wrongly call it average hp didn't change much if at all.
Alejandro L.

ISLAMATRON

the curve is shorter in duration(length since it cuts off at 18K rather than 19K) now so yes they loss overall & peak hp... except for the KERS teams who are plus 55hp over last year... but only for 6.67 secs a lap.

alelanza
alelanza

ISLAMATRON wrote:the curve is shorter in duration(length since it cuts off at 18K rather than 19K) now so yes they loss overall & peak hp... except for the KERS teams who are plus 55hp over last year... but only for 6.67 secs a lap.
If they only cut off the revs i would completely agree, but i would imagine with apropriate work done on the torque curve characteristics the final amount of power available through the usable range won't suffer too much.
Alejandro L.

ISLAMATRON

alelanza wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:the curve is shorter in duration(length since it cuts off at 18K rather than 19K) now so yes they loss overall & peak hp... except for the KERS teams who are plus 55hp over last year... but only for 6.67 secs a lap.
If they only cut off the revs i would completely agree, but i would imagine with apropriate work done on the torque curve characteristics the final amount of power available through the usable range won't suffer too much.
They were only allowed to alter the fuel injectors & the inlet trumpets as per the regulations... of course the fuel/spark map was altered thru the SECU but I doubt it would have changed the torque curve from between 16-18k rpm's all that much.

alelanza
alelanza

ISLAMATRON wrote:
alelanza wrote:
They were only allowed to alter the fuel injectors & the inlet trumpets as per the regulations... of course the fuel/spark map was altered thru the SECU but I doubt it would have changed the torque curve from between 16-18k rpm's all that much.
Exactly, you doubt, thus why i said it'd be interesting to know
Alejandro L.

ISLAMATRON

alelanza wrote:Exactly, you doubt, thus why i said it'd be interesting to know
Yep it would... also i think we also forget to mention that they my have to be slightly detuned to account for the longer distances they need to cover over the season.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

The Torque curves have been altered for the reduced rpm, and futher detuned for the slick tyres, as that what Rubens got his 5 place drop im Sepang for, an over-torqued gear box as the slicks are generally more torque-ier.

Im shure there isnt too much of a diffrence as im shure they would have altered the gear ratios and the engine maps accordingly.

If theres as much as a 30hp drop from last year, that isnt that much, as the cars are now going faster thru the bendy bits now, and with the reduced aero, and overall less drag to fight against.

Overall, i think the power decrease, if any has been negated by other factors as the cars are just as, if not faster than last years lap times.

When we go to Barcelona we will find out who has made the best progress getting their package to work and how lap times really are in relation to last year.