Mc Laren MP4/24 aero-mech development in 2009

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Mc Laren MP4/24 aero-mech development in 2009

I know heiki has the engine cover on..maybe the floor too.. I know he doesn't have the front wing though.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

β˜„οΈ Myth of the five suns. β˜„οΈ

β˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈ
LxVxFxHxN

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

n smikle wrote:I know heiki has the engine cover on..maybe the floor too.. I know he doesn't have the front wing though.
He did not in practice sessions. Maybe they got some parts for quali which I haven't seen yet. BUT it's evident that lots of mechanicals had to be relocated for the new engine cover so I'd say "no".

PlatinumZealot

Yeah the engine covers are slightly different.

LxVxFxHxN

wesley123
wesley123

Hey, that isnt fair, heikki got none of the updates apart from the front wing, pretty stupid as you have to fix prob;lems and then let 1 run them and the other the old. It is clear that heikki will be the second man for the rest of his mclaren career, he made the wrong choice, now he will be barrichello II.
If he ahs the chance to leave he really should do that, or else he will be second amn forever, at mclaren he can tshow how he cna drive as he certainly is not allowed to pass hamilton or such, to save his career he should join another team, renault maybe next year?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

wesley123 wrote:Hey, that isnt fair, heikki got none of the updates apart from the front wing, pretty stupid as you have to fix prob;lems and then let 1 run them and the other the old. It is clear that heikki will be the second man for the rest of his mclaren career, he made the wrong choice, now he will be barrichello II.
If he ahs the chance to leave he really should do that, or else he will be second amn forever, at mclaren he can tshow how he cna drive as he certainly is not allowed to pass hamilton or such, to save his career he should join another team, renault maybe next year?
The thinking could have been that Heikki went pretty well with the Silverstone mods, so they left him on them. This provides a baseline and a backup just in case Hamilton's car still sucked. Look up and down the pit lane, bub, and you'll see every team has a picking order, even Brawn. RB may not have one yet. That might be the only team. And like I said Hiekki got along well with the car at Silverstone so there's some logic in doing it this way.

Paul

The whole team was working very hard to get at least one full package of upgrades. It would be stupid to leave both cars unchanged only because they could only produce parts for one car. I also feel sorry for Heikki, but he has been doing great so far and must be very encouraged with visible progress of the team. And, in fact, he should feel less pressure and more relaxed knowing that Lewis has a better car and their pace can't really be compared so I expect him to do well tomorrow as well.

PlatinumZealot

8) In my view if heiki wants to be the best he has to compete with the best. It's like a Tennis tournament with Nadal and Federer. No matter how much you try to dodge them you will have to face them at some point.

If Heiki wants to be the best, he hast to beat the best. No point in running away. Same for Barichello. If he can't best Button then he doesn't deserve to be the champ. Heiki controls Heiki's destiny.

Only the #1 gets first dibs on the the new parts in my book. This is not dolly house! The Alpha male EATS FIRST!! :twisted:

LxVxFxHxN

wesley123
wesley123

You all got a point.

Heikki's position is similair to barrichello's was, being the second driver, to back the first driver up.

Heikki is a great team player, but if he wants to be the champion or make something of his career, he has to do it now, when mclaren is recovered The team will simply aim for hamilkton and heikki is the second driver wich isnt allowed to go for the wins when hamilton can make them.

Red Bull is the only top team that doesnt pick 1 driver out, it can be wrong, it cna be right, but they have a solid base, both guys cna go for their chances if they want to.

In Drawn it is also pretty clear that Button is the foirst driver, there is no guess about that.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

The only reason Button is number 1 is because he got an early points lead over Barricello. If Button was behind Barricello by much he wouldn't be number 1.

PlatinumZealot

The upgrades were wasted in Germany after Hamilton's tyre failure. #-o

LxVxFxHxN

Richard
Richard

wesley123 wrote:Heikki's position is similair to barrichello
I think that may be exaggerating it. Heiki doesn't get told to pull over or sacrifice a 30 sec lead for Hamilton.

With respect to this race ... It seems that there were a lot of changes under the skin for McL. The new diffuser is huge which means the mechanicals had to be rearranged to create the space. Similarly with the new engine cover. What McL did was to put the effort into getting one car finished. It is only fair to give that to the guy who is consistently better.

Then when you look at fuel strategies, they give the better one to the guy who is further up the grid. Until this week, the fuel strategy had no effect on qualifying, because they didn't get to Q3! (Q1 and Q2 are on fumes).

So yes, Hamilton does get the news toys first because he is constantly faster when they are in the same spec car, and usually has better race performance.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

x
Last edited by DaveKillens on 08 Sep 2009, 16:55, edited 1 time in total.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

not to mention even longer time ago(and Mosport was pretty far back, lol), the No.2 for the likes of Fangio will sometimes pull over and give their CAR to the No.1 if the No.1's car broke down......

ehblokgotadola
ehblokgotadola

n smikle wrote:The upgrades were wasted in Germany after Hamilton's tyre failure. #-o
not really as they found out in this race at least in practice that they WORK

ehblokgotadola
ehblokgotadola

New Mclaren diffuser pic

Last edited by ehblokgotadola on 14 Jul 2009, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.