US Grand Prix

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Dukeage
Dukeage

Re: US Grand Prix

RacingManiac wrote:Indy is definitely one of the least banked highspeed oval.....
No, Grenzlandring beats it, 9.17km of anticlockwise flatness :D (Unused since 1952, but I might as well ignore that bit :p )

The quality of the roads isn't an issue, as most streets get resurfaced before their first use as a race track. Some areas would be extremely difficult to hold street races in, however. Maybe if NY doesn't want to hold events, NJ might.

tk421

I think the only US track besides Indy that meets all the current requirements for an F1 race is Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele, Utah. Fat chance of racing there, though...
Best regards. I guess this explains why I'm not at my post!

Beewill
Beewill

Being an Indy guy I still vote for Indy. It's the only place in America that can handle such an event. If I'm not mistaken, I believe it was by far the highest attended race of the year.

My second choice would have to be VIR. It is most bueatiful circuit in America. It is out in the middle of no where but its only a few hours drive from Charlotte, DC, Philly, and with in a days drive of all of the big east coast cities. It would take quite a few million dollars to bring it up to FIA regs. I think it could be worth it though. I'll donate $100 for the cause.......
"Time is a waste of life, life is a waste of time. So, lets get wasted all of the time and have the time of our lives" George Carlin

jon-mullen

Dukeage wrote:Maybe if NY doesn't want to hold events, NJ might.
Yeah, see how many drivers we lose when 95-N inexplicably turns into 295-S. Do you think the drivers' insurance would go up just because it's NJ?

Seriously, though, if NYC turned it down, Philly or DC would be the next logical choice.
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

ISLAMATRON

actually LA would be the next choice, then maybe LV in third.

Indy was actually a great place for the race, definatly better than Phoenix, Dallas or Detroit.

jddh1

jon-mullen wrote:
Dukeage wrote:Seriously, though, if NYC turned it down, Philly or DC would be the next logical choice.
I'd rather NOT have it in a city circuit. I think a track would be best.

sticky667
sticky667

Fontana Speedway definitely has the facilities to accommodate. The only thing lacking are spectator areas other than the main straight. there is plenty of room to add grandstands throughout the infield though.

Miguel
Miguel

I once saw this advertised, but I am extremely suprised no US guy has mentioned it in any forum as a possible GP circuit. It's still unfinished, but it looks like it will have some mighty corners. Furthermore, it's on the East Coast, so timing would be good for us Euroguys.

My proposal is New Jersey Motorsports Park, formerly known as Thunderbolt Raceway. Miller Motorsports Park would also be OK, and it has the advantage of having host a Superbike race last year.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

ISLAMATRON

That track does not have 1 passing opportunity for F1 level cars.

alelanza
alelanza

I"d like to see it done on a true and proper oval circuit. Might be expensive and somewhat challenging to setup the cars and prevent driver blackout, but they should be able to work it out i think, it is supposed to be F1 after all.
Alejandro L.

donskar
donskar

Remember all, FIA approval goes far beyond the course itself -- palatial pit areas; Taj Mahal-level press facilities; fresh, clean whips for Spanky (whoops, not that); easy access; ETC
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

modbaraban
modbaraban

astracrazy wrote:What track do you think F1 could go to in the US? And it is up to Bernie's standards

Include pics etc.

:roll:

MustGoFaster
MustGoFaster

ISLAMATRON wrote:Road America is an amazing track.... stuck in the middle of nowhere.
Exactly what I was thinking. It's ~6 hours away from me, I've driven on it, and think it would be a great place to watch F1 cars. But it is not near any major city. There are enough fans in the US that the place would be packed, but it is the middle of nowhere. It would also need a MAJOR upgrade as far as pit facilities, considering a nice piece of slightly sloped concrete is the current standard. (BIG up hill on the main straight, lots of elevation change over a lap)

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned, but Laguna Seca? Would be another awesome place to watch them, but again, major upgrades needed. http://www.mazdaraceway.com/pages/home

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_bWOdY6mbU

xpensive
xpensive

My ideas about F1 at Road America, in Wisconsin I think, was based on the naive concept of what racing it could produce, not on how to get wealthy and ignorant Bigcity-Americans there or how much money it could generate for MrE to steal.
Last edited by xpensive on 14 Apr 2009, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Ted68

VIR is a great and beautiful track.

Long Beach doesn't want anything to do with Bernie or Max.

Laguna Seca is another good candidate. Didn't Toyota F1 run a car there as an exhibition there two or three years ago? It has F1 history and the Historics pull a large crowd every year already.