Bahrain GP 2009 - BIC

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Conceptual
Conceptual

Re: Bahrain GP 2009

Vasco wrote:Something interesting from Robert Kubica in the press conference:

"We go to the factory, of course, but I think the problem for everybody is known, so you don’t need additional input from the driver. We don’t have simulators, so there will be no simulation but of course we try to help the team as much as we can from the driver point of view but as I said, I think the problem is known by everybody and there is no need for additional meetings or things like that."

Quite surprised that BMW don't have any simulators.....
Wasn't that Kimi?

EDIT: Nope, Kubica said it, and then Kimi answered afterwards... I did find it odd as well.
Robert, Kimi, does it mean you will probably go to the factory and go through everything and maybe some simulation?
RK: "We go to the factory, of course, but I think the problem for everybody is known, so you don’t need additional input from the driver. We don’t have simulators, so there will be no simulation but of course we try to help the team as much as we can from the driver point of view but as I said, I think the problem is known by everybody and there is no need for additional meetings or things like that."
KR: "Similar story, all the people are working one hundred per cent, they know what they’re doing. It’s more the time that’s against us than anything else. I have some other work to do anyhow. I don’t know if I will go to the factory or not. If they need me, yes, but people know what they’re doing. We usually plan the meetings if we need something but we are here and we always discuss all those things, so it probably won’t be necessary to go there."

WhiteBlue

Now we will see the quick times. Hamilton was the first with soft tyres 1:32.975

followed by Glock 1:32.605

Glock breaks down with mechanical failure.

Rosberg goes 2nd with 1:32.906
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 25 Apr 2009, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

zgred

Glock just lost engine?

Did anybody notice Live comparison replay? Very interesting.
Last edited by zgred on 25 Apr 2009, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.

WhiteBlue

Massa with KERS is showing a good form. I hope Timo has only run out of fuel or an engine problem. Worst case he has a gearbox problem which would throw him back 5 places.

Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

timbo
timbo

It's amazing how close the field is, apart from Bourdais, who probably had some problems (and the least number of laps) the field is within 1.5 sec!
It's gonna be hot in Q! =D> =D> =D>

roost89
roost89

zgred wrote:Glock just lost engine?

Did anybody notice Live comparison replay? Very interesting.
I did catch that, it's very interesting to watch (the ghost replay or live comparison)

With Glock, Anthony from 5-Live was saying that it may have been an electrical failure, possibly hydraulic. But he didn't think it was engine or gearbox related.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

roost89
roost89

Webber's flying lap was ruined by Sutil.
Alonso saying that his run was ruined by Sutil and Kubica.

Will one of the Force India's be punished? If so, what kind of penalty? Time or Grid place.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

WhiteBlue

Webber left it to the last moment and got traffic. Sutil got in his way. Not very clever of him.

The BMW look dreadfull. They will not make Q3 unless something dramatic happens.

WhiteBlue

Well done Toyota with a front row lock out.

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

Hamilton did a good job to get 5th, 0.1s shy of Button. I guess he's a bit lighter on fuel. KERS will be dangerous off the line!

Well done to Jano and Glock. I think they're light too..
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

nudger
nudger

why oh why oh why does it take them so long to release the weights. No reason at all why they couldnt publish them within minutes of the end of qualifying

myurr
myurr

I'm not so sure that Brawn are heavy or that Hamilton is all that light.

Looking at the top 6 I think Vettel is heaviest, then Barrichello, with the rest all being pretty similar. Toyota might be a bit light, but probably not tooooo much. Guess we'll see in a bit.

(By similar I mean within 2 - 3 laps. Vettel is probably 4 - 5 laps heavier than the Toyotas).

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Interesting Q2 times.

S. Vettel 32.4
Toyotas 32.6, 32.7
Five cars in the 32.8's

Given the Q3 times the Toyotas must be very light indeed with Ferrari intending on going deep.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

NormanBates

at least trulli seems to be starting with soft tyres, so he may be quite light indeed

how are the option tyres holding out in this track? how much can they last?

(I understand they have to keep the same tyres they use in Q3 for the start of the race tomorrow: not just same type of tyres, but very same tyres; am I right?)

now that alonso seems to be back to non-super-weird strategies, let's see if the toyota's pick that role, and if, unlike renault, they can make it work

vasia
vasia

Too early to tell the competitiveness of the cars since we don't have qualifying weights, but great job for Toyota.

Exactly as I predicted, Toyota would be very strong here. I wonder if people still believe the Red Bull RB5 is "in a class of it's own" compared to Toyota's TF109.

I doubt the Toyotas are that light, as Glock very rarely runs that light in qualifying. We shall see soon enough.

Horrible performance by Webber, as well as both Toro Rossos. Vettel was the only RB5-based car to make it into Q3. Another horrible day for BMW as well, and Piquet horrible as usual. Force India's upgrades did not help a whole lot.

Hamilton must be very light to have qualified where he is.
Last edited by vasia on 25 Apr 2009, 14:38, edited 1 time in total.