Spanish GP 2009 - Circuit de Catalunya

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
meves
meves

Re: Spanish GP 2009

It could be because a number of the teams are having issues implementing it with their gearboxes and the interim diffusers are a quick fix to improve things until they can change the gearboxes which has to be quite a scary change to make to the car without in season testing.

Ciro Pabón

First practice has begun, as my cable operator does not show it, but I'm watching it at justin tv, just in case somebody want to take a look. Right now Barrichello started with a 1:23.3 or so, then Button pushed it to 1:23 and now Piquet got 1:22.7

Piquet? Hey, Symonds may be right.

While I wrote the previous paragraphs, Nakakima managed 1:22.5

Lap record in Montmeló: 1.21.7 Räikkönen, 2008
Ciro

Gonner
Gonner

Funny how Piquet and Nakajima, the two worst drivers in F1 to my eyes, are currently first and second :-(

The BMW finished 3rd and 4th of the first practice, do you think that their new " you thought we couldn't make it uglier, we managed to do it " design is THAT important ?

Edit : Currently displayed, Raikkonen seems to be very slow with its " new " F60 :?

Ciro Pabón

Hi, Gonner, good morning (where I live). I think the pecking order is uncertain, too much depends on the car, when I saw F1/NASCAR drivers racing equal karts at Cartagena I was surprised. ;)

I'm not a good judge of current car beauty: they all seem the same to me.

Shut, I missed first practice. I thought they started at 7 am local time. I guess I should take a look to the calendar on the home page of this forum... :oops:

Edit: damn, we do not have the time in the calendar. Vettel managed a 1:22.4 and then Nakajima did a 1:21.8. Almost a record, Gonner. ;)
Ciro

freedom_honda

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/photolarge.ph ... =1103-3705

can anyone good at Spanish translate the banner on the left?

and have anyone notice anything different with Brawn's sidepod? I can't see any jaw-dropping updates.

Gonner
Gonner

Hello, good afternoon from France. I'm happy they finally came back to Europe, so I can follow every practice.

About F1's beauty, well, as Enzo Ferrari said about the 312 " sometimes, the ugliest cars are the fastest "...

Until today, it wasn't true for the BMW, but the " pretty " MP4/24 wasn't much faster. As a Macca Fan, I'm worrying a bit, even if it's just practice, as Whitmarsh said, " Montmelo is going to underline the MP4/24's areodynamics problems ", and it seems to be the case. "

And, about the drivers, yes, obviously it depends a lot on the car, most of people considered Button an average driver after his Honda years, and he's now on top of the sheets.

Gonner
Gonner

freedom_honda wrote:http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/photolarge.ph ... =1103-3705

can anyone good at Spanish translate the banner on the left?

and have anyone notice anything different with Brawn's sidepod? I can't see any jaw-dropping updates.

For the Spanish , it says " Alonso, no Brawn, no Kers, no diffuser, the only things that matters here are your balls " .

EDIT : Wahoo, new fastest lap by Nakajima, 1.21.758 :shock: :shock:

Ciro Pabón

Gonner wrote:... As a Macca Fan, I'm worrying a bit...
I can understand your feeling. :D

Good translation.

Yes, Nakajima is 8/100th from the lap record for this track.

FIA regulations trying to limit speed are a joke, and assumptions about driver abilities by armchair racers, like us, are another. ;)
Ciro

Giblet
Giblet

GO BMW. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: =D>

I said in this forum that when they get their DDD and KERS all working right they will again quickly become a force.

I was laughed at.

I guess I was wrong, as they seemed to not need the KERS to get it done. :)

I know it's only FP1, but every one has tested here and everyone is quick for their car right out f the box. So a good time here is usually conducive of real speed.

Albert2 should worry some teams.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Gonner
Gonner

Ciro, who are you cheering for ?

I agree for the FIA Speed limitations.

About the drivers, well, everyone has to make up his mind, but hummmm.... indeed we are armchair racers, but eeh... Nakajima and Piquet didn't make any outstanding performance....... yet :?:

And thanks for the spanish, from somebody whose spanish is maternal language :D

@ Giblet, Albert 2 will never replace track tests [-X

Giblet
Giblet

Ciro Pabón wrote:
Gonner wrote:... As a Macca Fan, I'm worrying a bit...
I can understand your feeling. :D

Good translation.

Yes, Nakajima is 8/100th from the lap record for this track.

FIA regulations trying to limit speed are a joke, and assumptions about driver abilities by armchair racers, like us, are another. ;)

Don't forget the newish chicane, that changes laptimes around and makes them non comparable.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Gonner
Gonner

Giblet wrote: Don't forget the newish chicane, that changes laptimes around and makes them non comparable.

Ciro was talking about Kimi's 2008 time, the chicane was already there :wink:

Hamilton and Kova are losing near 8 tenths in the 2nd sector, aerodynamics :( :(

Giblet
Giblet

Ah yes.

But still, the cars now have more tire grip.

I remember the OWG wanting a reduction in downforce, to make up for the tires, and not counting DDD teams, they did slow the cars down.

While OWG was working with Mclaren on their sim and other guys like Symonds, they were shown on the simulator that they had in fact slowed the cars.

Unfortunately for them, Brawn, Toyota, and Williams all have better rule readers then the FIA has rule makers.

Gonner
Gonner

Giblet wrote:
Unfortunately for them, Brawn, Toyota, and Williams all have better rule readers then the FIA has rule makers.
:lol:

Impressive lap by Alonso :shock:

Giblet
Giblet

Gonner wrote:Ciro, who are you cheering for ?

I agree for the FIA Speed limitations.

About the drivers, well, everyone has to make up his mind, but hummmm.... indeed we are armchair racers, but eeh... Nakajima and Piquet didn't make any outstanding performance....... yet :?:

And thanks for the spanish, from somebody whose spanish is maternal language :D

@ Giblet, Albert 2 will never replace track tests [-X
Actually it does. Not perfectly, but if you have Albert2, and I don't, and neither of us are allowed to test on the track for the rest of the year, Albert2 is able to run iterations of parts you already have track data for, so yes, Albert2 is already replacing tests, and yes, the numbers it produces seem to jive with the track tests, and their wind tunnel.

Nothing can replace track testing fully, but having the best supercomputer is an advantage, and their new testing times prove it.