Spanish GP 2009 - Circuit de Catalunya

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Conceptual
Conceptual

Re: Spanish GP 2009

Gonner wrote:BMW put a lot of hope and money into this supercomputer, they managed to jump from last to 3rd and 4th, but Heidfeld had a lot of problems this morning before setting this top time.

The Qualif' tomorrow will give much more infos.
I can build a 20TF desktop computer for less than $3000USD.

Albert2 is obsolete due to its reliance on Intel.

The AMD Magny Cours chips that are due in 2011-2012 will obliterate what we currently think about how computing is done, with 4 64bit cores vectoring to 8 GPU co-processors. That is like 20+TFlops in a single chip!

It's all about the change from SISD to SIMD, and the ability to run real-time CFD, FEA, and physical conditions.

Any pics of the new updates?

Saribro
Saribro

Magny-Cours is a 2010 chip, in essence a MCM version of Istanbul, which was just reported to have been brought forward to a June launch. By 2011, we should be looking at a new micro-architecture, codenamed Bulldozer, possibly with clustered multithreading, even wider vector units,... Early reports suggest ~30% clock-normalised improvement on both integer and floating point.
On-chip GPU solutions are currently only planned for budget systems, they would be too bandwidth limited for serious high performance computing. Better to stick with a G34 socket (4 channels of DDR3) and add a bunch of videocards. (assuming of course, that your workload is massively parallel, otherwise it wouldn't benefit).
Maybe by 2015 or so we'll see the first hints of true heterogenous multicore chips.

Giblet
Giblet

Computers are still computers, and they get faster every moment of every year.

If you waited until something faster and cheaper came out you would never ever own one.

I find it most interesting that when BMW got Albert2, then the current gen of SC's, they came within shot of winning the championship.

There was talk of teams being limited to the amount of computing time they can run in a year. Is this still being put in place? Does time = cycles or does time = actual hours of crunching?

Ferrari needs a quantum computer to catch up this year.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

zgred

So I guess Brawn will be very interested to have their supercomputer... :]
I hope they will not trust it too much...

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Upside down chassis anyone?

Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

andartop
andartop

zgred wrote:Image

So I guess Brawn will be very interested to have their supercomputer... :]
I hope they will not trust it too much...
Just noticed: "The end begins"
Could this be the case for Brawn GP's dominance?!!!
If not, maybe Ferrari and McLaren should put up a poster from a previous version of the same film in their pit boxes: Terminator 2: Judgment Day.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

MattF1
MattF1

mx_tifosi wrote:Upside down chassis anyone?
No, the picture was the wrong way up; FIF1 have developed an anti-gravity machine, and cleverly to get round the test ban they are trying it on mechanics first:

see!

djos

Gonner wrote:BMW put a lot of hope and money into this supercomputer, they managed to jump from last to 3rd and 4th, but Heidfeld had a lot of problems this morning before setting this top time.

The Qualif' tomorrow will give much more infos.
imho BMW rely too much on "Albert" their computer and being in IT I can categorically state that is a huge mistake!

Computers don't have an imagination, you need a Designer with an imagination like Newey etc and the computer should be used for validating those idea's.
"In downforce we trust"

Ray

mx_tifosi wrote:Upside down chassis anyone?

That car isn't resting on the camera mount is it? I would think not. What's the purpose of inverting a chassis?

freedom_honda

perhaps they were working on the floor?

Conceptual
Conceptual

Saribro wrote:Magny-Cours is a 2010 chip, in essence a MCM version of Istanbul, which was just reported to have been brought forward to a June launch. By 2011, we should be looking at a new micro-architecture, codenamed Bulldozer, possibly with clustered multithreading, even wider vector units,... Early reports suggest ~30% clock-normalised improvement on both integer and floating point.
On-chip GPU solutions are currently only planned for budget systems, they would be too bandwidth limited for serious high performance computing. Better to stick with a G34 socket (4 channels of DDR3) and add a bunch of videocards. (assuming of course, that your workload is massively parallel, otherwise it wouldn't benefit).
Maybe by 2015 or so we'll see the first hints of true heterogenous multicore chips.
Wow, I get my info directly from AMD because I am a solutions provider, but I have not ben notified that the MC chip will be moved up!

I may save my $5k that I was going to invest in a computer next month until it launches.

Do you know for sure that it will be for sale in 06/09?

And that seems to be a very rare shot indeed of the underside of an F1 car!

andartop
andartop

Ray wrote:That car isn't resting on the camera mount is it? I would think not. What's the purpose of inverting a chassis?
It's that damn financial recession.. They're trying to recover Fisico's loose change.. #-o
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

WhiteBlue

andartop wrote:
Ray wrote:That car isn't resting on the camera mount is it? I would think not. What's the purpose of inverting a chassis?
It's that damn financial recession.. They're trying to recover Fisico's loose change.. #-o
great comment. this should be in caption competition. :lol:
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Gonner
Gonner

Does anyone have ... a link to follow the third free practice ?

Edit : Nevermind, I found a french link.

WhiteBlue

It looks like Brawn and Ferrari are going to be the top teams this weekend. Toyota also in the running.

Heidfeld went into the crash barrier with front wing and suspension damage. Game over for him. BMW not really a contender.

Good news is that the chassis seems to be undamaged.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)