Monaco GP 2009 - Monte Carlo

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Re: Monaco GP 2009

My data from the race weekend so far. Chassis, laps in each session and pit stop data as well:

If Ross Brawn said that they have 20 laps on board, im assuming that they are gonna have a fuel burn of 2.16kg per lap, where the rest of the season its closer to 2.71kg per lap, can this be right?? I know that the Toyota fuel burn is arround 2.4kg per lap, so would you say that the 2.16kg per lap probably what it is due to the fact that you are more or less in a corner all the time at Monaco???

Metar

I read the Williams tech file, which said:
Pitlane & Refuelling Strategy
The pitlane length and profile (i.e. corners in the pitlane entry) contribute to the determination of the optimum fuel strategy. The pitlane loss at Monaco is approximately 17.8 seconds, the 14th most penalising pitlane in the Championship. To complete a normalised distance of 5km around the Monte Carlo circuit requires 2.58kg of fuel against an average of 2.42kg per 5km across all circuits this season, making the circuit the 2nd most demanding track of the year in terms of fuel consumption.
You had the fuel-consumption figure correct, only for the average consumption for the normalized 5km distance instead of per-lap. So, 2.58kg for 5km translates, as I said in my own sheet, to 1.72kg per 3.34km, which is a Monaco lap. This also results in the Jenson car being capable of running 22-23 laps laps, which, minus warmup, is pretty much what Ross Brawn said.

Scotracer
Scotracer

Interesting how the circuit is low on tyre wear but high on fuel usage.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

Gonner
Gonner

Hamilton changed his gearbox, so he'll start 20th.

Nice challenge :x :x :( :cry:

Avto
Avto

Wait, is Massa using Kimis old chassis? I mean if Kimi is using the true B spec car, and Massa has something in between, then if Massa had the new chassis he would surely be on pole.

De Jokke

Gonner wrote:Hamilton changed his gearbox, so he'll start 20th.

If he stays out of trouble and has the luck that there is a pile up in turn one with a safety car again later in the race and some DNF's, he might get some decent points. Obviously I'm a bit too optimistic but it's monaco... :)

It's a real shame. I'm sure he would have gotten pole or second if you see that slowalainen took 7th! He really would have jumped button at the start (if he got 2nd + kers) and would have beaten him. I'm sure of it because he is really the monacoman (except from the qwf error today...). Too bad that we won't see it happen tomorrow. I really would have liked that someone kicked that arrogant button (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/ma ... grand-prix).
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Richard
Richard

Thanks ESPImperium. By the way, it might be easier to see that table sorted in grid order?

As for Hamilton, that slide obviously smashed his gearbox. Hence the reason his team told him not to try to limp back to the pits. The light fuel seems like they've decided they have nothing to loose. Rather than do the same weight as the cars in front and trundle around behind them, the plan is either:

1 - Do a quick first stint and then rejoin for a long stint with clear track ahead of him. Nice idea on a long open circuit, but I don't think it'll work at Monaco?

2 - Overtake the 6 cars in front that are 40 to 55kg lighter, probably relying on KERS in the tunnel and pit straight. Then pit early and end up behind the slow cars again!

Seems like they are doing something different because they have nothing left. I predict Hamilton going banzai, setting a fastest lap, overtaking using his power of levitation at mirabeau hairpin (hence the over in overtaking), and crashing out on lap 6.

Conceptual
Conceptual

De Jokke wrote:
Gonner wrote:Hamilton changed his gearbox, so he'll start 20th.

If he stays out of trouble and has the luck that there is a pile up in turn one with a safety car again later in the race and some DNF's, he might get some decent points. Obviously I'm a bit too optimistic but it's monaco... :)

It's a real shame. I'm sure he would have gotten pole or second if you see that slowalainen took 7th! He really would have jumped button at the start (if he got 2nd + kers) and would have beaten him. I'm sure of it because he is really the monacoman (except from the qwf error today...). Too bad that we won't see it happen tomorrow. I really would have liked that someone kicked that arrogant button (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/ma ... grand-prix).
It is good to see such optimism in the face of insurmountable odds...

But hey, I thought he was done last year when the blew his rear tyre in the first few laps....

It looks like it is gonna be a VERY tight race. And with the chance of rain still a possibility, we may be in for the best race of 2009 so far.

I can say that I am deffinately looking forward to it!

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Massa has got the new aero add ons that Kimis car dosnt have from what ive learnt. So, as soon as the ferarris get their act togher and equalise both drivers with aero and chassis, they will be on the Brawns pace, easily beating Red Bull as well. I can see Brawn developing 2 new chassis to replace the 2 current ones just to incorperate the Merceded Benz KERS system, and Red Bull will have 2 more chassis for Vettel and Webber that have the Renault KERS embedded in it. I can see STR having a couple new chassis on the way for the Ferarri embedded KERS, as so far, it looks like the best system overall for performance, the Mercedes one looks like the most relyable and lightest tho, but lacks some performance the Ferarri one has.

I think its safe to say that Ferarri are back at the sharp end, but they still have a good bit to go till they win consistantly again.

Im predicting that a Brawn will win on strategy, but a Ferarri will be second, with Vettel being third. Wildcard goes to Rossberg and posibly Webber. And theres gonna be a little bump or two in the first lap i feel. Saftey car to come out within first 2-3 laps has really short odds.

PlatinumZealot

Hamilton really let me down.. he was definitely going for Pole... now he is dead last on the Grid...Lets see what he can pull off tomorrow..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

vasia
vasia

Brawn continues to dominate. Red Bull is not that strong at all here. Vettel got up there in qualifying only because he was running on fumes. All the drivers that qualified around him are heavier on fuel. Webber has a more representative fuel weight, and he did not qualify that great.

Obviously, due to the twisty and slow nature of the circuit, it is not going to suit long-wheelbase cars such as the Toyotas and the Red Bulls. The Red Bulls though did much better than the Toyotas because they seem to have better mechanical grip.

Overall the Top 10 is what I expected it to be. Good job by Williams, they always seem to run strong at Monaco.

BMW continues to struggle.

HORRIBLE qualifying by Toyota, absolutely dismal. And once again, just like Spain, Toyota did NOT use all of their new parts. Their new front wing with fancy new endplates was not used during qualifying. What is going on? I really hope Frank Dernie gives some stern advice over at Toyota to straighten them out. Toyota has a good car, so this type of performance is unacceptable.

Toyota must improve at Turkey, they can't keep going like this, especially after such a great start to the season.

Looking at fuel weights, amazing how heavy Glock and Bourdais are.

ISLAMATRON

Hamilton can start with full fuel tomorrow since he changed his gearbox... I fully expect McLaren to wise up and change his fuel strategy according to hi grid spot.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

vasia wrote:Brawn continues to dominate. Red Bull is not that strong at all here. Vettel got up there in qualifying only because he was running on fumes. All the drivers that qualified around him are heavier on fuel. Webber has a more representative fuel weight, and he did not qualify that great.

Obviously, due to the twisty and slow nature of the circuit, it is not going to suit long-wheelbase cars such as the Toyotas and the Red Bulls. The Red Bulls though did much better than the Toyotas because they seem to have better mechanical grip.

Overall the Top 10 is what I expected it to be. Good job by Williams, they always seem to run strong at Monaco.

BMW continues to struggle.

HORRIBLE qualifying by Toyota, absolutely dismal. And once again, just like Spain, Toyota did NOT use all of their new parts. Their new front wing with fancy new endplates was not used during qualifying. What is going on? I really hope Frank Dernie gives some stern advice over at Toyota to straighten them out. Toyota has a good car, so this type of performance is unacceptable.

Toyota must improve at Turkey, they can't keep going like this, especially after such a great start to the season.

Looking at fuel weights, amazing how heavy Glock and Bourdais are.
Long(ish) wheelbases can be good on tracks like this. Depends what you do with em.

That said, no idea how Toyota fell off that much.

Not sure what the deal is with RBR.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

dumbdave
dumbdave

With a chance for rain I wouldnt count the Red Bull out, they've been killer in the wet so far this year, class of their own!
Disappointingly small fuel load for Vettel & no way he can get in front at the start with that KERS ferrari #-o

djos

dumbdave wrote:With a chance for rain I wouldnt count the Red Bull out, they've been killer in the wet so far this year, class of their own!
Disappointingly small fuel load for Vettel & no way he can get in front at the start with that KERS ferrari #-o
With Webbers fuel load he should be good for 4th place if not 3rd by race end.
"In downforce we trust"