How to get into motorsport as an engineer

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Scuderia_Russ

Re: How to get into motorsport as an engineer

Tom wrote: I completely disagree, I'm doing Motorsport Technology at Oxford Brookes (supposed to be a little more hands on than engineering) and throughout our entire course (3 years) we get 24 hours of practical work, and its such incredibly basic stuff too. I don't know how outside companyies view it but I don't think we get nearly enough prac, to the extent my mate on the course couldn't change his starter motor last week without calling out a mechanic. Maybe this is a rare thing but to be a good engineer both aspects must be fully understood and I think that's where a lot of people fall.
In my opinion, twenty four hours in three years is absolutely shocking! Hopefully you have read my original post in this thread Tom. Not only do I see graduates that have no clue practically, I have also seen unpaid 'employees' that are with a race team in order to gain experience soon throw the towel in and fall to bits once a bit of pressure is laid on them and they are expected to perform to the same level as a paid employee. (Begging the question do they want the experience or not?!) Their attitude soon turns from one of "I'm gonna work like a dog to impress these guys so that hopefully they will give me a job" to "Well I'm not getting paid so I'm gonna drag my feet and not give a ---."

My other work placement gripe is people that go into a job bull shitting and making out they know it all already. You will soon get found out... fast!
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

bajanf1
bajanf1

This is a great post because all young engineers want to know how to get into the sport. I agree with the comments about trying at a lower level and then working your way up but I think you have to apply everywhere and be willing to try various positions as long as you can do the job. I have been advised by a WRC engineer to get as much experience as possible either paid or unpaid in motorsport because that's what some teams like to see. If you want to work in motorsport and have not found a way to be involved it may say more about your enthusiasm for your development than your engineering ability. The lack of practical experience given in university is the main reason why we should try to get our hands dirty in motorsport before graduating.

Of course you can also start at the top and this is why you should send applications everywhere but the number of positions for graduates will be limited and even more so with today's economic crisis.

Scuderia Russ I assume you work in motorsport, would you mind telling us how got yourt break?

donskar
donskar

Talking to the red bulletin, Toro Rosso's team principal Franz Tost has revealed that the team is currently focusing towards next year's design. New people are being hired and technical director Giorgio Ascanelli is leading the structuring of the new department.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

mep

I am thinking about applying for one of the motorsport master courses offered in the UK (Cranfield or Oxford Brookes). I am just a bit worried about my changes to get into such a course.

First of all because they demand a Bachelor of honours degree or something similar. I have done my Bachelor in Germany. During studies we got the offer to buy the honours degree. It was just a matter of spending some money to the certification agency. Unfortunately I haven't done this because I thought it would not matter anymore where you have done your Bachelor after the Bologna process:
From Imperial College London:
To be considered for admission to a Master's e.g. MSc, MRes, MBA etc. applicants should hold a Diplom from a mainstream university normally with a minimum of 2.5 (gut), but preference is given to those with 2 (gut) or better. Graduates with a new three year Bachelor's degree awarded with a grade of 2.5 (gut) or better may be considered for Master's degree registration only.
:cry: pretty poor statement

Second thing is English. They demand some English certificates. The ones I have done during studies are the wrong ones so I probably have to resit the right ones.
Generally I wonder how they handle applications from abroad. I guess British people will be preferred.

What do you think about the changes to get into such a course?
What have you previously done to get such a course and what have you written into your application? What kind of grades did you had?
Any tips about what to do or how to apply there?

horse

mep wrote:I guess British people will be preferred.
Depends if you bring your own funding or not. In general, British universities earn better from foreign students, so if you have funding, I'm sure they would consider your application.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu