FOTA agrees to drop KERS from 2010

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
djos

Re: FOTA agrees to drop KERS from 2010

ISLAMATRON wrote:HA! Webber banging into Rubans... That is now KERS fault, and so was the hole in the O-zone and JFK's assassination

Webbo swerved and hit RB, no body with KERS around yet, Webbo & Hamilton and drove towards each other under braking, it had nothing to do with KERS.

There is a huge difference between clean and dirty side of the track and that contributes to the traffic jam, no complaints?

Now you want to blame the famous SPA pileup on KERS too?

There will allways be a traffic jam at the start of the race, hence the excitement of standing start.
Im not saying KERS is to blame, just that it is a large contributing factor as the non-KERS guy's have no idea where the KERS guy's are suddenly going to spring from or at what velocity. imo that is what makes it dangerous!
"In downforce we trust"

djos

WhiteBlue wrote: Could the lack of a KERS in Webber's car have a bearing on your opinion? ;-)
Im man enuf to admit that I wouldn't be arguing my current point if webber's car was as competitive as it is now + had KERS. 8)
"In downforce we trust"

ISLAMATRON

Still, what does that have to do with Webbo doing his best Schumacher impression into RB? The "unwritten" rule, as Webbo reminded us himself at the beginning of the year, was that under braking(especially for the first turn) the drivers are supposed to hold their line and not move around.

These guys should be able to cleanly race each other, KERS or not. Hold your lines and give proper racing room, we all been taught that since day one in race driving skool. I dont see where KERS is causing a huge problem with the starts, its no different then when some teams had vastly superior launch control or TC.

djos

ISLAMATRON wrote:Still, what does that have to do with Webbo doing his best Schumacher impression into RB? The "unwritten" rule, as Webbo reminded us himself at the beginning of the year, was that under braking(especially for the first turn) the drivers are supposed to hold their line and not move around.

These guys should be able to cleanly race each other, KERS or not. Hold your lines and give proper racing room, we all been taught that since day one in race driving skool. I dont see where KERS is causing a huge problem with the starts, its no different then when some teams had vastly superior launch control or TC.
Webbo say's he thought Rubens was on his left cause he couldn't see him - Webbo, is the most straight up driver in F1 and frankly I believe him that it was not intentional.
"In downforce we trust"

ISLAMATRON

djos wrote:Webbo say's he thought Rubens was on his left cause he couldn't see him - Webbo, is the most straight up driver in F1 and frankly I believe him that it was not intentional.
Regardless if it was intentional or not(I dont think it was either) he should not be making sudden moves like that on the run down to the first corner, it was silly.

WhiteBlue

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77387

Haug is making a point for using KERS in 2010.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

roost89
roost89

WhiteBlue wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77387

Isn't there a greater point in using KERS next year? As cars will have to start with race-fuel? So the extra 30ish kilos aren't going to be much of an extra hinderance if the cars have more power at the start.

I'd quite like to see KERS next year in some of the cars. Especially the Williams system, I think it could prove to be really effective. Especially if the output limit is increased.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

Richard
Richard

WhiteBlue wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77387

I hope it stays because it adds another engineering challenge to the equation.

Haug was funny in his comment that it could be a standard unit, and by the way ours is the best. I wonder if he would say the same if the Ferrari unit was proposed as the standard unit?

It doesn't need to be a standard unit they just need an agreement that teams without KERS have access to buy a Ferrari/Merc/Renault unit at the same price for all. They could also open up the market for external suppliers.

You could also see Red Bull and Williams getting together to figure out the flywheel variant - I'd love to see the Newey solution to that.

However, my call is that it is Haug gloating, and unlikely to be reality. :(

ISLAMATRON

I'd rather them just kill it if the idea is for everyone to have a common unit like the SECU, but if there is a standard unit(which they can improve upon, like the engines), they should choose the flywheel because it has much larger scope of development and is much more road relevant.

WhiteBlue

I believe the standardization proposal was meant to dampen any concerns that teams would open a spending race on the KERS. If there is a choice of having the Mercedes KERS or none I would prefer to go with the proposal.

If the cars are designed for KERS you can allways go back to development when the money becomes available. If they drop it completely the way back will be more difficult.

I don't see the point of not having KERS. After all most of the money is allready spent.

There is also the possibility that non FOTA teams will simply put it on and sort this issue out by action.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

xpensive
xpensive

When you analyse the kinetic energy available, it becomes painfully obvious that KERS is simply a PC-gimmick.

Throwing good money after bad is not a good solution to my mind.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

ISLAMATRON

WhiteBlue wrote:I believe the standardization proposal was meant to dampen any concerns that teams would open a spending race on the KERS. If there is a choice of having the Mercedes KERS or none I would prefer to go with the proposal.

If the cars are designed for KERS you can allways go back to development when the money becomes available. If they drop it completely the way back will be more difficult.

I don't see the point of not having KERS. After all most of the money is allready spent.

There is also the possibility that non FOTA teams will simply put it on and sort this issue out by action.
With the money saved on the engines and refueling ban, there should be another performance differentiator other than the aero, I think it should be KERS... but I do see you point about removing it totally from the design... going back to it later is a viable option. It is great that outside companies are in involved with its development, Bosch & Magnetti and others.

WhiteBlue

Xpensive, you have frequently entertained us with your one sided figuring on KERS. At the last time you agreed that you had tweaked the figures by not considering the efficiencies.

KERS is the acknoledged technology that premium car manufacturers want developed for road relevancy in F1. Mercedes and BMW have made that abundantly clear. With the refuelling ban every kg of fuel saved will be an advantage.

Richard
Richard

xpensive wrote: painfully obvious that KERS is simply a PC-gimmick.
Keep the KERS, remove the gimmick. Remove the HP and duration limits. Then it becomes an integral part of the power/brake cycle, not a gimmick boost button.

As for costs, it just needs agreement that KERS suppliers have to supply customer teams so everyone has access. Just like Brawn have Merc engines for the bargain price of E5m.

WhiteBlue

Good proposal!

1+