British GP 2009 - Silverstone

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Giblet
Giblet

Re: British GP 2009

djos wrote:
Giblet wrote:Funny how everyone was making fun of the Renault nose, and some teams have been flattening and widening their noses now.
Oh cmon, the Renault nose looks like a piece of Besa-Block compared to the RB5 and BGP01! :roll:

No need for the eye rolling. It adds nothing to the discussion and is argumentative.

The noses of other cars have been widening and flattening. The Renault is the earliest example compared to the RB5, and the BMW. The Brawn nose is a completely different looking kind of nose.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

modbaraban
modbaraban

The R29 nose is a completely different concept, imo. (look at the underside).

Giblet
Giblet

It's a completely different concept of a broad, flattish nose, I agree.

I'm just trying to point out (pardon the pun) that compared to the 2008 cars, the cars noses are flattening out and widening, more so as the season progresses.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

[quote="db__"The post quali weights aren't released until 3 hours after quali finishes. qhen they do they'll be here: http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/f1 ... event.aspx[/quote]

Well that explains a lot! I've always been a bit irritated that they take so long but it's the FIA, and we HAVE to live with with what they do ..

Metar

StrFerrari4Ever wrote:am i right in saying Vettel's 1"18.119 is a new circuit record if so these new 2009 cars are really slow huh Max? :P
It's faster than the lap record, but these only count when done in the race. So, if it stays dry, and he repeats that sort of lap (well, anything below a 1'18.7), he'll have the record.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

And Boy Wonder did it with 3 more laps of fuel on board, compaired to Rubens, Webber and the rest of the field.

Vettel for the win!!!

PlatinumZealot

After watching through Vettel's in-car cam during qualifying THERE IS NO WAY WEBBER COULD GET POLE!!! :twisted: Vettel was manhandling that track!! you could even see his hands shivering around the steering from all the G's! He was on the limits the whole time.. :P
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Miguel
Miguel

Congratulations to Vettel for such an amazing lap. I mean, he looked ragged, he looked on the bleeding edge. But he just made it!

On a side note, I don't know what to say about Alonso. He looked pretty competent today, and 18.7 in Q2 was a pretty good effort. However, with fuel onboard, I don't know why, but 20.7 seems pretty mediocre to me. I don't know if he had traffic or if he had no new soft tires or if it's the R29 who sucks with fuel. But I was not expecting anything worse than 20.5 and that's before seeing his fuel load.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

Metar

Miguel wrote:On a side note, I don't know what to say about Alonso. He looked pretty competent today, and 18.7 in Q2 was a pretty good effort. However, with fuel onboard, I don't know why, but 20.7 seems pretty mediocre to me. I don't know if he had traffic or if he had no new soft tires or if it's the R29 who sucks with fuel. But I was not expecting anything worse than 20.5 and that's before seeing his fuel load.
They said on the Beeb that he was on Hards for most of Q3, and only did one lap on worn Softs... But indeed, after a pretty decent run throughout the day, in the end he just seemed to fade away. And the Renault team needs it printed on their asses: Stop running him too light! One of the lightest in Q3, and still 10th...

Miguel
Miguel

Metar wrote: They said on the Beeb that he was on Hards for most of Q3, and only did one lap on worn Softs... But indeed, after a pretty decent run throughout the day, in the end he just seemed to fade away. And the Renault team needs it printed on their asses: Stop running him too light! One of the lightest in Q3, and still 10th...
I fear that, given how tight Q2 was today, Renault felt they could jump 3 places by fueling Alonso light. The truth is probably something in between: the R29 is setup for light fuel loads in order to scrap through Q2, Alonso isn't able to manage high fuel loads in qualifying or finally the R29 sucks with fuel.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

ISLAMATRON

Amazing lap by Vettle, really thought Webbo had him this race, hope we have a good race.

PlatinumZealot

The Fuel weights are out.. Vettel is the HEAVIEST at the front! He is 7kg heavier than Webber..That gives him about 2-3 laps breathing room.

Below is the provisional grid for the British Grand Prix with each car's weight.

Taken from
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2009/06/20/p ... on-to-win/
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

No wonder Webber was pissed. Vettel looks to be in total control .. maybe Webber can get around Rubins, if all goes to plan ..

Surprises .. Alonso made the a statement that he was heavy with fuel, but he's really tied for 2nd lightest of the top 10 .. opps! Kaz and Trulli will have quite a battle for 4th till the first pit stop.

15 RBR Renault Sebastian Vettel 666.5
23 Brawn Mercedes Rubens Barrichello 657.5
14 RBR Renault Mark Webber 659.5
09 Toyota Jarno Trulli 658.0
17 Williams Toyota Kazuki Nakajima 652.5
22 Brawn Mercedes Jenson Button 657.5
16 Williams Toyota Nico Rosberg 661.5
10 Toyota Timo Glock 660.0
04 Ferrari Kimi Räikkönen 654.0
07 Renault Fernando Alonso 654.0

nae
nae

vettel impressed today
more so now he is seen to be so heavy
hard to see him being beaten in a straight race

all good imho
..?

WhiteBlue

Webber can be a bit rude. I thought his comments about Kimi were a bit over the mark.
Kimi (Räikkönen) was, I don’t know, drinking some vodka or dreaming or something… I don’t know what the hell he was doing.
Good to see Red Bull taking the fight to the Brawns. It isn't unexpected. The Newey design was already awesome without DDD. Now that they refine the concept and integrate it with the original car they are showing their true potential.

Great driving by both RBR drivers, and Rubens loves Silverstone. It is probably his most favourite circuit. I don't know how many laps he did there for Jordan.
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 20 Jun 2009, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)