The fastest F1 car of all time?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
megz

Re: The fastest F1 car of all time?

The MP4-19B raced from Silverstone 2004 onwards, it was the MP4-18 that never made the race weekend.

deus1066
deus1066

Sorry to be pedantic, but the 19B Raced from Magny Cours onwards. I have no idea why I felt the need to correct that... sorry!

megz

You are completely right! Kimi took the pole at Silverstone I think, perhaps that's what muddled me.

-KMR_NH-

ds.raikkonen wrote:I cant decide between the F2004 & the MP4-20. They were both bloody quick.
That's what I would say, too. Really fast cars :D
Kimi Räikkönen
Nico Hülkenberg

fastforward
fastforward

Hi everybody.
I am also F1 fan. I looked for F2004 photo and video but not get success. I want to know about everything like motor specifications, maximum speed, gears etcetera. If you guys have of it then please give me or some link.
R4

modbaraban
modbaraban

powdersnow
powdersnow

Which F1 era is the fastest?

Hello and a happy new year,

what do you believe, were the 92s/93s cars with it's active suspension, anti-lock and traction control systems faster than the current ones ???? I mean especially the FW14B/15C, cause it should be the fastest car of this era.

(Are the current cars are faster than the middle 2000s cars at all ....?)

I mean not the topspeed, but the laptimes and averagespeed of a race or qualification lap.

I could imagine that the 92s/93s cars are faster than the current :-)

Greetings PS

WhiteBlue

Re: Which F1 era is the fastest?

Of the noughties the 2004 cars were supposed to be the fastest. It is difficult to compare times that long back because the tracks changed. It has been done a year ago if I remember right. I don't remember the result though. IMO the absolute performance isn't so relevant as is track/car configuration suitable for good racing and the presence of an exciting generation of drivers. That is what makes for thrilling races. At least for me that gives me more than outright speed.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

The Ferarri F-2004 was reputedly the fastest car that ever was and ever will be.

Altho, the 2005 and the 2008 cars are also a worthy mention as they were also fast machines in my opinion.

I think fastest is so objective, not subjective. The 2007/2008 cars as a whole were the fastest bunch with only 0.9 to 1.4 covering a average feilds laptime. But same could be said about the 2009 end season cars as well.

Personally, i think fastest should be put aside how close the feild spread is.

Giblet
Giblet

I am pretty sure that thread came with two results.

Technically, as in what a lawyer could argue in court:

Honda Salt Flat car was the fastest F1 car ever, as technically it was a legal (but un-racable) car.

Ferrari F2004 was the fastest around a modern F1 track.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

mep

This should be an easy question because you are asking for average speed (lap times).
The only thing we have to do is compare all the lap times over the years.
We just need a very good source for lap times.
All the rule changes and the fact that we don't have a real qualifying anymore makes it a bit difficult to really compare the times over several years.
Sometimes we might not be able to tell how much faster one special car is but at least we can order all the years in a row.

PNSD
PNSD

I think regulations regardless it's all been down to tyre development IMO.

I dont think the tyres used in 92/93 are half as good as current tyres.

That being said, my opinion is based on simple guess work and logic. tbh I dont have a clue but my best guess would be a large portion of the performance increase over the year is down to tyres.

powdersnow
powdersnow

Yeah ok, but I just looked at the average speeds of the cars. For Example Monza

Pole Lap 2004 Rubens Barrichello with 260.395 kmh

Pole Lap 1991 Ayrton Senna with 257.415 kmh.

Ok a little bit slower but with that "bad" tyres. You say the early 90s tyres are only as half as good as the current ones....

So i would say the erly 90s era is nearly as fast as the current....

Greets

Scotracer
Scotracer

powdersnow wrote:Yeah ok, but I just looked at the average speeds of the cars. For Example Monza

Pole Lap 2004 Rubens Barrichello with 260.395 kmh

Pole Lap 1991 Ayrton Senna with 257.415 kmh.

Ok a little bit slower but with that "bad" tyres. You say the early 90s tyres are only as half as good as the current ones....

So i would say the erly 90s era is nearly as fast as the current....

Greets
In 1991 Monza had a flat-out 2nd Lesmo and a faster Rettifilo chicane(s) so the lap time was inflated.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

Mr Alcatraz

Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand