Ferrari 458 Italia

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Belatti
Belatti

Re: Ferrari F458 Italia

I have seen this car raced by the Stig in one of the 15th season Top Gear shows and it lapped just like an Enzo :o

Taking into account it costs the half its a nive improvement. It made the 430 look ridiculous, too.

Im waiting for the 2010 Dino. The original Ferrari Dino (206 and 246) is a car that I have always liked.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

WhiteBlue

They did not even call the Dinos Ferrari at the time but the product idea really fits into the efficiency/downsizing philosophy.

The Italia is probably the best glimpse we can get of the direct injection/valve technology for the next F1 formula that we can get from Ferrari.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Richard
Richard

They also seem to have a nasty habit of catching fire ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/11071047

An example of Kimi's Ferrari F1 influencing road car design? :lol:

TheRMVR

Giblet wrote:And the Honda S2000 has a 9000rpm piston engine, a better comparison, that was out long before this car as well. They must be talking about their own cars, or it's just a silly claim.
You're wrong there, the Honda S2000 went up to 8800 rpm.
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 25 Aug 2010, 00:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote. As it was is unacceptable.

djos

richard_leeds wrote:They also seem to have a nasty habit of catching fire ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/11071047

An example of Kimi's Ferrari F1 influencing road car design? :lol:
Yikes, Italian quality control huh? :D
"In downforce we trust"

ahmedvortex
ahmedvortex

TheRMVR wrote:
Giblet wrote:And the Honda S2000 has a 9000rpm piston engine, a better comparison, that was out long before this car as well. They must be talking about their own cars, or it's just a silly claim.
true and the S2000 engine is a four cylinder ,its much easier to rise rpm with less component in move .

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

The fire problems go back to the F430. I guess it just makes these cars more and more rare. :?
What's to blame? Faulty fuel or oil lines?

And I have yet to see a 458 but then again it's been a few months since I passed by the Ferrari dealership. I expect them to look better in person, as with the F430 and all of its varieties. The main culprit of when they look 'bad' is the huge wheel to fender gap (and the horrible "dubs"), but it's probably related to the air lift suspension to navigate around the cities. Who knows though.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

TheRMVR wrote:
The Honda S2000 had a fuel cut out at 9000rpm, And with a dealer chip could actually be raised to 9250rpm.
These can be verified by any honda dealer with a proving bench, or wiki if you so choose.
I owned one for a year, and to this day it remains the best car I have ever owned, far better than any TT/SLK/Z4 and a match for the Boxster(but cheaper to own).
More could have been done.
David Purley

Richard
Richard

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:I owned one for a year, and to this day it remains the best car I have ever owned, far better than any TT/SLK/Z4 and a match for the Boxster(but cheaper to own).
So why did you not keep it for longer?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Family planning mate, and not being able to warrant a 3rd car to the missus.
But if you like to DRIVE a car, the S2000 is untouched in its class IMO . The Boxster I test drove in 2007 was very good, instant response that the S2000 could never match, but at the same time was very predictable. Some like that. I prefer more demanding cars to drive. The wonderful thng about the S2000 is its jekyll/hyde personality, you can own this car for 5 years and not know what it is capable of.

But when you take it 10/10ths(Honda surveyed owners and only 20% of them ever went beyond 7000rpm!!!!) The whole car transforms into a tail happy track car that needs near total concentration to keep from chucking you into a hedge. Honda rectified that with the AP2 from 2004 by adding traction control and also lowering the revs to 8500rpm(increasing torque)

If this has 240bhp from 2 litres and was so visceral, I wonder what the 458 Italia would be like!
Have Ferrari done a recall on 458's to correct the fire issue?
More could have been done.
David Purley

Richard
Richard

LOL - I'm in the same boat with regard to my SLK & family.

My choice was dictated by being able to fit in the seat, I'm rather tall. So I try not to think about the cars I couldn't fit, such as the S2000, Boxster :(

..... or the 458 Italia (back on topic!) 8)

747heavy

I wonder if this is Ferraris approach to recycling it´s used cars. :D ,
and what the insurance companies think about it.

http://www.egmcartech.com/2010/08/25/an ... vestigate/
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

marcush.
marcush.

747heavy wrote:I wonder if this is Ferraris approach to recycling it´s used cars. :D ,
and what the insurance companies think about it.

http://www.egmcartech.com/2010/08/25/an ... vestigate/

wow.I´m a bit releaved that it is the rear of the car that started the fire...
-no explanations given for this - :mrgreen:
When I worked in Ferrari Challenge I was always amazed by the monstrous underbonnet heat of the 430 Challenge cars ....I´m quite sure they operate a lot of parts out of spec there.Spec ...what spec? :mrgreen:

WhiteBlue

Striking similarity in concept with the Dino 246 GT from 1970

Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

machin

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:The Boxster was very predictable. Some like that. I prefer more demanding cars to drive.
You should've got the Boxster and loosened a few wheels nuts! Then you'd have the nice smooth engine, 3x luggage capacity (that front boot is huge!), far better interior plus the dodgy handling you like!

Oh and the stupid high servicing costs..... :-(
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH