Ferrari 458 Italia

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
marcush.
marcush.

Re: Ferrari F458 Italia

747heavy

Paris, no crash - and quick rescue
shows the area where the fire starts nicely

"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

747heavy

rendering of a possible race/challenge version

look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

That would be a rendering of a possible GT2, as here is the official Challenge model:

"view image" for larger version. 1280x850.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

autogyro
autogyro

Should sell well in Australia if it comes with a built in barbaque.
Free sausages?

marcush.
marcush.

uuuuh..nasty .. the worrying thing is that fire could also start on the other side.. as seen in pics..
the oil coolers are behind the rear wheels now so what could be in that area starting a fire?

747heavy

marcush. wrote:uuuuh..nasty .. the worrying thing is that fire could also start on the other side.. as seen in pics..
the oil coolers are behind the rear wheels now so what could be in that area starting a fire?
not sure Marcus,
in another forum someone mentioned the possibility of a hair crack in the high pressure DI fuel line (~200 bar), due to a combination of heat and pulsation, spraying fuel onto the hot exhaust in the process.
I don´t know if this is creditable or not, never looked into the engine bay of an F458 - yet.
- Colin Chapman

autogyro
autogyro

At least McLaren are spending some time in pre production making sure their cars are up to a standard that can be sold to customers.
This fire issue should see the back of Montezemolo, if Ferrari was a company with proper values in the market place.
I suppose it will be another case of special privelige for the mediocre.

marcush.
marcush.

747heavy wrote:
marcush. wrote:uuuuh..nasty .. the worrying thing is that fire could also start on the other side.. as seen in pics..
not sure Marcus,
in another forum someone mentioned the possibility of a hair crack in the high pressure DI fuel line (~200 bar), due to a combination of heat and pulsation, spraying fuel onto the hot exhaust in the process.
I don´t know if this is creditable or not, never looked into the engine bay of an F458 - yet.
I´m pretty sure a fuel fire looks a bit more dramatic ...? to me that looks more like an oil fire...but then ...

747heavy

marcush. wrote: I´m pretty sure a fuel fire looks a bit more dramatic ...? to me that looks more like an oil fire...but then ...
agree, on the other hand, if you switch off the engine, and the fuel spray stops, what remains is maybe just some burning of heat islolations and/or plastics around the area. If you keep driving/the engine running, it would burn pretty fast pretty big - I agree.
That may happened to the red one in the US.
Go out of the car in panic, but let the engine run -> fuel pumping out.

need a bit of concentrated temperature in this area to melt the aluminium away,
something like a welding torch ??

Anyway, it´s pure speculation on my side, as I don´t know, I´m sure we will hear in the not too distant future.

Maybe just a leaking damper :lol: - what do you think Marcus ?
Hope you have a nice weekend
- Colin Chapman

marcush.
marcush.

747heavy wrote:
marcush. wrote: I´m pretty sure a fuel fire looks a bit more dramatic ...? to me that looks more like an oil fire...but then ...
agree, on the other hand, if you switch off the engine, and the fuel spray stops, what remains is maybe just some burning of heat islolations and/or plastics around the area. If you keep driving/the engine running, it would burn pretty fast pretty big - I agree.
That may happened to the red one in the US.
Go out of the car in panic, but let the engine run -> fuel pumping out.

need a bit of concentrated temperature in this area to melt the aluminium away,
something like a welding torch ??

Anyway, it´s pure speculation on my side, as I don´t know, I´m sure we will hear in the not too distant future.

Maybe just a leaking damper :lol: - what do you think Marcus ?
Hope you have a nice weekend
:lol: :lol: :lol:

we surely know we don´t know..I´m quite happy this was not my car going up in flames and not my dampers.. :lol:

I will have a nice sunday watching the spa watersports by Schumacher,hopefully... :wink:
Last edited by marcush. on 29 Aug 2010, 12:30, edited 2 times in total.

ahmedvortex
ahmedvortex

autogyro wrote:At least McLaren are spending some time in pre production making sure their cars are up to a standard that can be sold to customers.
This fire issue should see the back of Montezemolo, if Ferrari was a company with proper values in the market place.
I suppose it will be another case of special privelige for the mediocre.
=D>
1- at least wait for the mclaren to run streets officially rather than motor shows
2- even the Audi R8 and the Lamborghini Gallardo have burned many times , mid-engines risks ?
3- many owners of those cars are dumb , they can't walk properly and they feels themselves like racers .
4- for the proper values , i think its better to focus on Stepney gates or the infected blood trading resources used for 80's f1 engineering .

autogyro
autogyro

Having been involved with tuning Ferraris I am aware that catching fire is not uncommon for their vehicles.
I know of at leat three drivers of road Ferraris who have experienced fires.
One after a rear impact, the other two without impact.
Could it be the finish quality or perhaps lack of pre production testing to meet a depressed market in this case.

Agenda_Is_Incorrect
Agenda_Is_Incorrect

If you had done half the things you say you do you would know it is a mid engine problem. The whole internet knows of at least 10 cases of this involving many manufacturers. And if you want to generalize about the values and construction quality, what would you say about British cars? And what would you say yourself?

And this is going off topic again, isn't it?
I've been censored by a moderation team that rather see people dying and being shot at terrorist attacks than allowing people to speak the truth. That's racist apparently.

God made Trump win for a reason.

autogyro
autogyro

Agenda_Is_Incorrect wrote:If you had done half the things you say you do you would know it is a mid engine problem. The whole internet knows of at least 10 cases of this involving many manufacturers. And if you want to generalize about the values and construction quality, what would you say about British cars? And what would you say yourself?

And this is going off topic again, isn't it?
No it is not off topic. The Ferrari F458 Italia is prone to catching fire.
I am well aware that mid engined cars have tighter packaging at the rear, however this is no excuse for a fire risk on this expensive product.
Attention should be brought to the issue to ensure the safety of those who buy these mobile BBQ's.
If Ferrari loose a few million, tough, perhaps it will make up for their poor sportsmanship in F1.