McLaren MP4-12C

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
JohnsonsEvilTwin

Re: McLaren MP4-12C

Interesting what Leno would make of a 458 if anyone had one on hand at the same track.

The Top Gear Track time means little as it was the track McLaren developed the car from gestation. Take the Macca to Fiorano and Im sure the roles would be reversed.

However, Im starting to see that maybe this car really can be manhandled in a way that would make an enthusiast drool.
Mclaren just need to paint the damn thing red and give it a 9300 rpm rev limit! (an SLS or 458 sound track wouldnt go amiss either, but I'm knit picking there).
Respect to Mclaren for their first concerted effort of making a car for the global market....with green credentials too! Ferrari will be concerned.

Either way, Id be happy coming last in my silver SLS in a haze of tyre smoke! 8)
More could have been done.
David Purley

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

What was interesting to me in the Leno clip was the McLaren chap saying "brake harder, you can't overbrake it". A number of reviews have stated that the brakes (the carbon ones at least) are a bit 'nothing, nothing, grab!' in their application. But if the guys developing them were driving it like a racing car - braking hard and late then it's no surprise they're lacking in normal road use.

It's one of the problems with using racing drivers to develop road cars.

It's also interesting that McLaren have hired a guy from Autocar to help them iron out issues and presumably help with the development of the next car. I'm betting they're realised they need an outsider to give them some constructive criticism before they release the car...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Richard
Richard

If that is true about them getting an Autocar chap involved, then can we expect a glowing review in that publication?

marcush.
marcush.

"It's one of the problems with using racing drivers to develop road cars."
don´t think the test/development drivers are not squeezing the cars .Honestly speaking the average housewife middleaged businessman is clearly missing in the portfolio of most of the testdrivers range and surely this is a factor in not dtecting deficiancies of cars..

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

richard_leeds wrote:If that is true about them getting an Autocar chap involved, then can we expect a glowing review in that publication?
He has left Autocar and is employed by McLaren as I understand it. Not quite the same as just asking for his opinion.

Autocar weren't totally glowing with their review of the -12C. They reckoned the 458 just beat it - for the usual "can't turn off the computer and thus can't powerslide it" etc.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

It appears that McLaren have been listening to some of the initial criticisms levelled at the car and are making some modifications prior to first deliveries.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default ... ryId=23968

As it mentions in the article, and as has been said hereabouts too, it will be interesting to see how McLaren develops the car over the next few months and if/how those developments are offered to early owners...

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Haha, noise pipe to the cabin....2010 VW GTI had that, and it was axed in 2011 since its cheaper without.....:D

alelanza
alelanza

I'm really liking that deep red mp4-12c, that styling is most certainly an acquired taste and it's working for me
Alejandro L.

HampusA

Just_a_fan wrote:It appears that McLaren have been listening to some of the initial criticisms levelled at the car and are making some modifications prior to first deliveries.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default ... ryId=23968

As it mentions in the article, and as has been said hereabouts too, it will be interesting to see how McLaren develops the car over the next few months and if/how those developments are offered to early owners...
Confirms my opinions i had on cars like Porsche - Mclaren compared to let´s say a Ferrari 458 Italia.
The truth will come out...

JohnsonsEvilTwin

McLaren with production issues.........

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/06/mcla ... utoblog%29
David Purley

xpensive
xpensive

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:McLaren with production issues.........

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/06/mcla ... utoblog%29
Impressive indeed how a serious car-manufacturer handles its quality issues, something for others to learn from.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

JohnsonsEvilTwin

I wouldnt call production issues impressive....Did they have these issues with the F1 and SLR?
David Purley

Richard
Richard

It is rather amusing that drivers are advised to lock their doors to avoid the batteries running flat.

Not sure it would occur to the testers to leave the car unlocked overnight!

xpensive
xpensive

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote: ...other than McLaren and its quite brilliant 12C.
It's indeed a brillant car, beating the Ferrari 458 with three sec, the only negative comment from Clarkson was it lacked "it"?

Guess it is an engineer's car, but would probably be equally suitable to the wannabee-engineer and/or poser?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

marcush.
marcush.

richard_leeds wrote:It is rather amusing that drivers are advised to lock their doors to avoid the batteries running flat.

Not sure it would occur to the testers to leave the car unlocked overnight!
that´s normal .Any Porsche has that issue .The process of sending all the con´trol boxes asleep must be triggered by something.
Car not locked ...or maybe even key left in the lock will not allow the car to do the routines to save recources.

It´s in fact a real problem of the rich people who are annoyed by their mega buck cars resting at home waiting for their owner to pop in every 6 weeks and having drained their battery in that period...